Ranji trophy should be scrapped': Manoj Tiwary'

Bengal captain Manoj Tiwary,  called for Ranji Trophy, India's premier domestic tournament, which has been running since 1934, to be scrapped. While Tiwary did not reveal the reason  owing to BCCI's Code of Conduct, he indicated that several things are “going wrong” in the tournament.

Yes Ranji Trophy must be scrapped.  It's a useless tournament which is like 80's coded.   From Pitches to coaches & everything is third class. 

At least 10 team domestic structure would be ideal. 

JK Himachal UK have one team....  Punjab + Haryana.  Delhi + Chandigarh. 

North East united side. 

One Gujju side only. 

@Nikhil_cric too many sides with crap quality 

12 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Yes Ranji Trophy must be scrapped.  It's a useless tournament which is like 80's coded.   From Pitches to coaches & everything is third class. 

North East united side. 

One Gujju side only. 

Agree except that I want Delhi to have a separate team. It is the only Ranji team supporting Fast bowlers in the last 3 years.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

North East united side. 

One Gujju side only. 

Ideally, I would want a 6 team structure but 10 ain't too bad. Better than what it is now at any rate. 38 teams is absolutely ridiculous

Edited by Nikhil_cric
47 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Ideally, I would want a 6 team structure but 10 ain't too bad. Better than what it is now at any rate. 38 teams is absolutely ridiculous

6 is best. We can expand Duleep Trophy and scrap Ranjis

3 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

This is the same misguided attempt imran Khan tried in Pakistan. You are basically removing the entire cricket structure that spread to every state and city to blindly copy Australia. The next generation test talent pool will reduce by 80% with this one move

24 minutes ago, Serpico said:

The next generation test talent pool will reduce by 80% with this one move

Basically the talent pool needs to now serve T20s or IPL instead of tests. Hence this suggestion.

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Agree except that I want Delhi to have a separate team. It is the only Ranji supporting Fast bowlers.

ok ... if you say so for Ranjis currently.

The only pace bowler in the last 30 or 40 years from Delhi I can think of is Ishant with more than 100 test wickets.

None of Kapil, Srinath, Zaheer, Bumrah, Shami, Umesh  are from Delhi.

Delhi's contribution to the myth and filth of Indian spin has been immense. One of the top three promoters of all spin all the time was from Delhi - Bishen Singh Bedi. The other two were Pataudi and Wadekar.

8 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

North East united side. 

One Gujju side only. 

10 will be too less, probably around 18 or 20 we can do. Teams like Services, Railways can be scrapped entirely

1. J&K, Himachal, UTK 

2. Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh 

3. Delhi & West UP 

4. East & Central UP

5. Rajasthan 

6. Bihar - Jharkhand 

7. West Bengal - Assam

8. Remaining North East

9. Gujarat 

10. MP

11. West Maharasthra (including Goa)

12. East Maharastra

13. Odisha 

14. Karnataka

15. Andhra & Hyderabad

16. Tamil Nadu

17. Kerala

13 minutes ago, raki05 said:

If they make it 6 teams tournaments than whatever little chance tyagi and sens and other new fast bowlers are getting , they will not even get that and most of the bowling position would be occupied by journeymans.

High chance journeyman trundlers would be exposed against stronger teams. 

Of course it would take 2-3 seasons to completely do a overhaul.  Results will start coming after 4-5 years. 

Not every player has a chance to make it to IPL and it is very difficult to make living by being a club/district cricket association player so I am not in favour of scrapping it altogether.

That said, it must start early. It should start early Oct, if not earlier. Can arrange more matches in drier regions in Oct.

This will allow to expand the Duleep Trophy to more matches and good performance in Duleep Trophy should lead to India-A selections.

Edited by Number
1 hour ago, raki05 said:

If they make it 6 teams tournaments than whatever little chance tyagi and sens and other new fast bowlers are getting , they will not even get that and most of the bowling position would be occupied by journeymans.

Pretty much. Imagine the level of politics in selection processes and now livelihood/earnings will be affected

Its unfortunate but 6-8 teams isn't a feasible solution in Indian Cricket. Way too many cricketers will be lost in the system of babus

What countries that have a 25mn population with an even smaller talent pool to reflect the status of cricket follow is unsuited to thr needs of countries like India and Pakistan. It is better to err on the side of having too many rather than too few teams here and then see how to streamline and ensure the cream rises to the top. Making the net smaller won't mean that the quality of the catch will go up. 

7 hours ago, Serpico said:

This is the same misguided attempt imran Khan tried in Pakistan. You are basically removing the entire cricket structure that spread to every state and city to blindly copy Australia. The next generation test talent pool will reduce by 80% with this one move

I have clarified my views earlier.  I want 2 levels of domestic with Ranji acting as feeder to a 6 team Duleep Trophy which should become the premier domestic competition and the direct basis for selection to the Indian team.

India can either do that or they need to start selecting like England and South Africa do to an extent - look at underlying numbers and attributes like speeds, release heights ,  batters' numbers specifically against 140 + kph etc.

For that, you need ball-trackjng in all domestic games which BCCI simply wont bother investing in because of the expenses involved.

If one of these 2 things don't happen, we will continue to rely on guesswork and bloated domestic stats , resulting in mediocre performances for a long time. 

6 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I have clarified my views earlier.  I want 2 levels of domestic with Ranji acting as feeder to a 6 team Duleep Trophy which should become the premier domestic competition and the direct basis for selection to the Indian team.

India can either do that or they need to start selecting like England and South Africa do to an extent - look at underlying numbers and attributes like speeds, release heights ,  batters' numbers specifically against 140 + kph etc.

For that, you need ball-trackjng in all domestic games which BCCI simply wont bother investing in because of the expenses involved.

If one of these 2 things don't happen, we will continue to rely on guesswork and bloated domestic stats , resulting in mediocre performances for a long time. 

BCCI might be paper rich but the jokers have poverty mentality.

All cash. No class. No brains.

lol.

55 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

What countries that have a 25mn population with an even smaller talent pool to reflect the status of cricket follow is unsuited to thr needs of countries like India and Pakistan. It is better to err on the side of having too many rather than too few teams here and then see how to streamline and ensure the cream rises to the top. Making the net smaller won't mean that the quality of the catch will go up. 

You create a bigger feeder system but have few teams at the top.

Or else you get players like Iyer who can neither play bounce or swing or seam...and not even spin these days.

7 hours ago, Serpico said:

His idea was good. Needed a better feeder system.

Whats the use of a namesake big talent pool that wins nothing?

Edited by sensible-indian
7 hours ago, AKane said:

ok ... if you say so for Ranjis currently.

The only pace bowler in the last 30 or 40 years from Delhi I can think of is Ishant with more than 100 test wickets.

None of Kapil, Srinath, Zaheer, Bumrah, Shami, Umesh  are from Delhi.

Delhi's contribution to the myth and filth of Indian spin has been immense. One of the top three promoters of all spin all the time was from Delhi - Bishen Singh Bedi. The other two were Pataudi and Wadekar.

Not talking about history but Delhi's current TM / selectors in the last 3 years. They are trying to promote genuine quicks who are good too. 

Mayank Yadav

Harshit Rana

Himanshu Chauhan

Simarjeet Singh

All are quick, bouncy and bowling well.