Ranji trophy should be scrapped': Manoj Tiwary'

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

High chance journeyman trundlers would be exposed against stronger teams. 

Of course it would take 2-3 seasons to completely do a overhaul.  Results will start coming after 4-5 years. 

Nature of pitches are such as they still get bulk load of wkts.

7 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

BCCI might be paper rich but the jokers have poverty mentality.

All cash. No class. No brains.

lol.

I was surprised to know that Tom Hartely was actually picked by Umpire's iHawk Camera analysis they have in county cricket where his release speeds, heights were matching the spinners who were successful in India.

I can't think of BCCI putting in this much technology and analysis in anything.

Selectors will reward 1-2 spots to Ranji performers on stats base like lollypops and captain will avoid playing them as much as he can.

Edited by Number

Absolutely stupid to cut down on teams,.India is massive and we decent infrastructure all throughout what we need is better pitches, selection at state needs to be spot, u23 tournaments is what needs improving, maybe cutting down teams there and having a format like the Duleep trophy the get the best u23 players to state level, Duleep trophy, deodhar, Irani cup should be the stepping stone towards India A but when selection is pathetic and pitches mediocre you will end up with Mukesh Kumar, Saurabh Kumar, Tushar deshpande like players. Personally feel challenger trophy needs to be brought back with all India international taking part.

19 minutes ago, Number said:

I was surprised to know that Tom Hartely was actually picked by Umpire's iHawk Camera analysis they have in county cricket where his release speeds, heights were matching the spinners who were successful in India.

Selectors will reward 1-2 spots to Ranji performers on stats base like lollypops and captain will avoid playing them as much as he can.

Amazing integration of tech, stats, sports science with the sport. These goras set benchmarks which Indians can't come up with in 10 lifetimes. No wonder all innovation in cricket has come from Eng, Aus. Can have all the population and money in the world but average IQ 76 in mera Bharat mahaan shows. 

If USA ever gets interested in cricket, can't fathom the kind of tech they will integrate with cricket, they will make English and Aussies look like cavemen. And we have posters here who think India is a sporting superpower and developed countries are overrated in sports. 

26 minutes ago, Number said:

It's how England have improved. Bazball is simply a branding exercise.  

They are selecting based on attributes because County Cricket is too bloated with too many teams and those stats mean nothing 

Once South Africa abandoned their previous model of domestic (again a 6 team model) , they suffered a dip in quality 

I believe they too have some ball tracking in their domestics now.

47 minutes ago, Number said:

Damnnnn

Its like scientists vs apes xi.

6 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Damnnnn

Its like scientists vs apes xi.

Ashwin shouldn't have revealed his tricks in that interview with Ward, Edgbaston test 2018. These goras are too smart for our dehati lot. 

11 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

10 will be too less, probably around 18 or 20 we can do. Teams like Services, Railways can be scrapped entirely

1. J&K, Himachal, UTK 

2. Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh 

3. Delhi & West UP 

4. East & Central UP

5. Rajasthan 

6. Bihar - Jharkhand 

7. West Bengal - Assam

8. Remaining North East

9. Gujarat 

10. MP

11. West Maharasthra (including Goa)

12. East Maharastra

13. Odisha 

14. Karnataka

15. Andhra & Hyderabad

16. Tamil Nadu

17. Kerala

Why would you want to reduce the teams. teams like Railways has given Indian team guys like Murali Karthik, you need both railways and Services, which allows players to have jobs too while competing at Ranji level.

What you want  to happen more is olders players from  stronger teams  go to weaker teams to establish cricketing culture. BCCI is not short of funds and there are so many untapped areas for new talent in India.

They have plate division for teams not doing well in elite level.

Problem is some geniuses think just because some guy in England team has some expert analysis done on his bowling, England has great cricket setup.

Is India perfect , why people expect BCCI to be perfect sitting on their desk in some office.

Some genius suggested there should be 6 teams.Most populous country to have just six teams like Australia would be end of cricket in India

Edited by putrevus

In a hugely populated country like India it is very easy to lose talent when we impose any restrictions.  As it is bias plays a role in selections at this level.  Real problem is not setting expectations from players to be selected for national team. Sometimes i wonder how players with poor fielding skills are selected just because they are good in one department. They have to set expectations.  

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Amazing integration of tech, stats, sports science with the sport. These goras set benchmarks which Indians can't come up with in 10 lifetimes. No wonder all innovation in cricket has come from Eng, Aus. Can have all the population and money in the world but average IQ 76 in mera Bharat mahaan shows. 

If USA ever gets interested in cricket, can't fathom the kind of tech they will integrate with cricket, they will make English and Aussies look like cavemen. And we have posters here who think India is a sporting superpower and developed countries are overrated in sports. 

We have our own in house nerds who excel at this but this sort of approach and thinking needs to be institutionalized. Guy like Prasanna Agoram got spotted by Saffer think tank and they poached him after several requests from guys like Morne Morkel.  

8 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

We have our own in house nerds who excel at this but this sort of approach and thinking needs to be institutionalized. Guy like Prasanna Agoram got spotted by Saffer think tank and they poached him after several requests from guys like Morne Morkel.  

Make MSD selector :)

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Ashwin shouldn't have revealed his tricks in that interview with Ward, Edgbaston test 2018. These goras are too smart for our dehati lot. 

I honestly doubt that interview made any difference.

If it did, he should have been decoded in tests long time ago. No spinner in this world gets scrutinized as much as him. Yet it didn't happen.

Ashwin got injured in that series. Lost his accuracy. Paid the price.

7 hours ago, Number said:

Truly a match up between scientists and apes. :(

17 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I have clarified my views earlier.  I want 2 levels of domestic with Ranji acting as feeder to a 6 team Duleep Trophy which should become the premier domestic competition and the direct basis for selection to the Indian team.

Yes this is what should happen ...

Probably the CK Nayudu can be scrapped and U23 players can play for state at Ranji level.

Think tiwary announced his retirement last week (?) which is why he has been going on public with a few things. 

Why is Manoj Tiwary angry with Captain Cool MS Dhoni?

2 min read20 Feb 2024, 08:43 AM IST

Manoj Tiwary, who represented India in ODIs and T20Is, announced his retirement after serving Bengal for two decades. His biggest regret is not getting a Test cap despite strong performances and being ignored for 14 matches after scoring a hundred.

Bengal's captain Manoj Tiwary scores a half century during the 3rd day of Ranji Trophy final cricket match against Saurashtra, in Kolkata. (PTI Photo/Swapan Mahapatra/File)
Bengal's captain Manoj Tiwary scores a half century during the 3rd day of Ranji Trophy final cricket match against Saurashtra, in Kolkata. (PTI Photo/Swapan Mahapatra/File)

It is a dream for the player to get an Indian cricket team cap, but not only getting it is difficult but maintaining the position in the squad is also a tedious job. 

Among the prominent names, Manoj Tiwary – served Bengal for about two decades and represented India in 12 ODIs and three T20Is – is part of that list. A day after Bengal's final match in the Ranji Trophy this season on Sunday, Tiwary announced his retirement.

Tiwary made his One-Day International debut in Australia in 2008. He even scored his first ODI ton against West Indies in Chennai on December 11, 2011, who which he was adjudged the Man of the Match for his performance.

However, he was excluded from the playing XI again until July 2012 against Sri Lanka.

On 19 February, a day after retirement, Tiwari stated that his biggest regret would be not getting the Test cap after having represented India in the ODIs and T20Is.

"When I had completed playing 65 first-class matches, my batting average was around 65. The Australia team had toured India then, and I had scored 130 in Chennai in a friendly game, then I scored 93 against England in a friendly game. I was very close, but they picked Yuvraj Singh instead. So Test cap and the fact that I was ignored after getting the Man of the Match award for scoring a hundred...I was ignored for 14 straight matches. When self-confidence is at its peak and someone destroys that, then that player is finished," Manoj Tiwary told News18.

“Confidence is everything for a player, in any profession. Who killed that confidence?" Tiwary was asked upfront. "I know the name, but I don't want to take it. I am a grown man now. When a player is omitted, it's the decision of the team management," he replied.

On being asked who the captain at that time was, he said, "The captain of that team was MS Dhoni. I am asking you upfront."

"Yes, MS Dhoni was the captain. If I get the opportunity to ask the question, I will ask him why I was dropped from the team after scoring the century, especially in that tour of Australia where nobody was scoring runs, neither Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, nor Suresh Raina. I have nothing to lose now," he said.

Manoj Tiwary feels the BCCI's warning to its centrally contracted players and those part of the wider target pool against prioritising IPL over domestic cricket merely reiterates the concerns he has raised about India's first-class competition over the years.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:30 PM, Gollum said:

USA is interested in football