India's richest 1% holds 40% of wealth; inequality rising since 2000s:

Singh bling

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/indias-richest-1-holds-40-of-wealth-inequality-rising-since-2000s-study-2944893

It said India's top 1 per cent population's income share appears to be among the highest in the world "behind only perhaps Peru, Yemen and a couple of other small countries".

Edited by Singh bling

lol how are they are calculating income for Indians ? Many of them don’t pay taxes. People have lands which are quite rewarding.  Is it comparing money from business ? All these surveys come during elections and a hit job on the govt. The article BJP is close to billionaires. How are they proving it ? Apart from congress statements what proof they have ? 

The foreign surveys says India’s freedom index is worse than Afghanistan lol. They should provide the criteria for this rating how much data they collected ? What is the ranking based off ? Lot of people have land assets are rich but poor on paper. 

Edited by gattaca

The fact that India's PPP is worse by a lot than Sri Lanka tells you all you need to know.  We are long way off from being a economic superpower. 

India is ranked 125 and Bangla right beside with us at 126...  Paxtanis are languishing at 135.

Sri Lanka the best HDI indicator country in South Asia is at 104 alongside upcoming  manufacturing Powerhouse Vietnam. 

Poverty upliftment is happening but we are way too slow.  I wish we could exchange Bihar and Eastern UP with Sri Lanka and Bhutan. 

India needs strong 10 years of temporary Autocratic rule to catch up with Vietnam Indonesia or compete with them...  Or risk supply chains completely moving there and missing the bus altogether.  We are entering in a Pivotal phase in our history. 

But out scammy politicians will provide us rosy pictures and fake numbers to show how well off we are but media never points out how far flung we actually are. 

Nothing new. what is it in rest of world?

UK

Latest figures from Credit Suisse in 2021 show there are approximately 685,500 Britons in the richest 1%, with a total wealth of $3.4 trillion (£2.8 trillion). In comparison, approximately 48 million Britons, 70 per cent of the population, have a total wealth of $2.9 trillion (£2.4 billion)

US

The top 1% overtook the middle class in collective wealth in 2020

Thirty years ago, America’s celebrated middle class commanded twice as much wealth as the upper 1%

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

India needs strong 10 years of temporary Autocratic rule to catch up with Vietnam Indonesia or compete with them...  Or risk supply chains completely moving there and missing the bus altogether.  We are entering in a Pivotal phase in our history. 

But out scammy politicians will provide us rosy pictures and fake numbers to show how well off we are but media never points out how far flung we actually are. 

Apples and oranges. India is strategic solution to taking manufacturing away from China. The countries you mentioned have geolocational advantage but they are all tactical.

However, where was this thinking before Modi?  Infact i recall many people on this forum when Modi pitched the idea of "Make In India" made fun of it and advised we should further work strengthening Service Industry.

Businesses coming out of China were complaining that they can not come out because India isnt ready. What they meant that a FDI of couple of billions or few billions by a business was okie to moove but India cant absorb fifties or hundreds of billion.

In my opinion, GoI under Modi is on right path to Prepare India for the world. A key indicator will be FDI inflow in absolute terms per year.

Edited by mishra

@Lone Wolf Defence, Electronics (Chip) and automobile are three sectors which needs to come in.

So,as a Indicator India will be ready to recieve hiundreds of Billions of FDI when say Lockheed Martin/BAE Sytems, Foxconn/TSMC and Tesla/Vaulkwagen are manufacturing in India for export purpose. That will be day India can absorb any money thrown at

27 minutes ago, mishra said:

@Lone Wolf Defence, Electronics (Chip) and automobile are three sectors which needs to come in.

So,as a Indicator India will be ready to recieve hiundreds of Billions of FDI when say Lockheed Martin/BAE Sytems, Foxconn/TSMC and Tesla/Vaulkwagen are manufacturing in India for export purpose. That will be day India can absorb any money thrown at

Foxconn just recently announced that it will invest 100ml $ on a new plant in Vietnam. 

Vietnam is our actual true competition in Asia right now. 

Mexico Indonesia are turning out to be more favorable markets as well. 

Even in electronics investors argue that our tariffs are much higher than China Vietnam Mexico and Czech...  So Make in India is not turning out to be feasible...  Foxconn and Pegatron have publicly raised concerns over this. 

Point Indian investment market isn't that competitive enough.  We need to eliminate or Lower our tariffs to be a export based economy...  Domestic consumption is never enough. It wasn't for China and won't be for us. 

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

The fact that India's PPP is worse by a lot than Sri Lanka tells you all you need to know.  We are long way off from being a economic superpower. 

India is ranked 125 and Bangla right beside with us at 126...  Paxtanis are languishing at 135.

Sri Lanka the best HDI indicator country in South Asia is at 104 alongside upcoming  manufacturing Powerhouse Vietnam. 

Poverty upliftment is happening but we are way too slow.  I wish we could exchange Bihar and Eastern UP with Sri Lanka and Bhutan. 

Bihar and Eastern UP are the two regions that can keep the population supply. India is staring at population decline. Estimates are we will be 800 million by 2040-2050. You need population as well for growth. Many people in urban areas are having only kid or no kids.

Edited by gattaca

46 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Bihar and Eastern UP are the two regions that can keep the population supply. India is staring at population decline. Estimates are we will be 800 million by 2040-2050. You need population as well for growth. Many people in urban areas are having only kid or no kids.

Nah that would be useless Human capital with no  or limited skill whatsoever.. 

More skilled Labour class is coming out of Odisha,  Jharkhand and Chattisgarh anyway.   MP will pull its weight too. 

I'd like us to integrate Sri Lanka and even Bhutan to keep up the score.  Lankans are educated & have better living standards thanks to a HDI rivalling Kerala.   I give them a decade & a half tops & they will willfully integrate. 

General trend is South Indian population is on decline so that would solve the problem of replacement rate. 

Population around 1.2 billion is sufficient for global dominance ideally

Edited by Lone Wolf

6 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

You must mean GDPpC ! PPP -Purchasing power Parity India is 3rd in the world right behind US and China. 

On OP, there is a World wealth Inequality ranking where India is not badly placed. It is better than even US.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/wealth-inequality-by-country

Wealth inequality and the Gini index

The Gini index, or Gini coefficient, is a statistical measure of wealth distribution developed by the Italian statistician Corrado Gini. The Gini index is used to gauge economic inequality by measuring income distribution, also called wealth distribution. The Gini coefficient ranges from 0 to 1. A coefficient of 0 represents perfect equality, a country (or other people group) in which everyone had the same income. The closer to 1 the coefficient is, the greater the wealth inequality. Gini coefficient is also expressed as a percentage in which 0% is perfect equality and 100% would be the maximum possible inequality.

Apologies for digressing, but Deccan herald has been churning out leftist articles far too many for my liking. We have subscribed to Deccan from 40 years and first time I am thinking of reviewing it.  Today it had an article in support of TM Krishna

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Foxconn just recently announced that it will invest 100ml $ on a new plant in Vietnam. 

Vietnam is our actual true competition in Asia right now. 

Mexico Indonesia are turning out to be more favorable markets as well. 

Even in electronics investors argue that our tariffs are much higher than China Vietnam Mexico and Czech...  So Make in India is not turning out to be feasible...  Foxconn and Pegatron have publicly raised concerns over this. 

Point Indian investment market isn't that competitive enough.  We need to eliminate or Lower our tariffs to be a export based economy...  Domestic consumption is never enough. It wasn't for China and won't be for us. 

Misinformation. What Indian electronic makers are complaining is that "Import Duties from China" are too high and that is creating problem in delivering final product competetive.

Investors are saying that reduce the tariff and they would do assembly in India. India is saying we will pay you to setup plant in India and if you manufacture those raw materials and that additional import duty from China is for manufacturers to not just only do assembley in India

We are at wars with China. GoI must be constantly offsetting that additional import duty which we have put against Chinese import if we are importing same thing from somewhere else at the same time nudging them to move manufacturing into India

Edited by mishra

49 minutes ago, mishra said:

Misinformation. What Indian electronic makers are complaining is that "Import Duties from China" are too high and that is creating problem in delivering final product competetive.

Investors are saying that reduce the tariff and they would do assembly in India. India is saying we will pay you to setup plant in India and if you manufacture those raw materials and that additional import duty from China is for manufacturers to not just only do assembley in India

We are at wars with China. GoI must be constantly offsetting that additional import duty which we have put against Chinese import if we are importing same thing from somewhere else at the same time nudging them to move manufacturing into India

No misinformation...  IT minister of state has stated that higher tariffs are driving away investors in his letter to Sitaraman. 

US ambassador has already said Investment is mostly flowing to countries like Vietnam already which is not ideal for India. 

Here you go.. 

https://www.thehindu.com/business/business-matters-what-can-india-learn-from-countries-like-vietnam-to-become-an-export-giant/article67873464.ece

And India is not in a state of War yet with China...  Both sides seems to be in cooperation mode off late...  We may partner a deal with them in INSTC with Iran and Russia soon through Chabahar. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

You must mean GDPpC ! PPP -Purchasing power Parity India is 3rd in the world right behind US and China. 

On OP, there is a World wealth Inequality ranking where India is not badly placed. It is better than even US.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/wealth-inequality-by-country

Wealth inequality and the Gini index

The Gini index, or Gini coefficient, is a statistical measure of wealth distribution developed by the Italian statistician Corrado Gini. The Gini index is used to gauge economic inequality by measuring income distribution, also called wealth distribution. The Gini coefficient ranges from 0 to 1. A coefficient of 0 represents perfect equality, a country (or other people group) in which everyone had the same income. The closer to 1 the coefficient is, the greater the wealth inequality. Gini coefficient is also expressed as a percentage in which 0% is perfect equality and 100% would be the maximum possible inequality.

Yeah I was mentioning GDP (PPP) as a merit...  It is as exclusively associated with the HDI index too. 

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Nah that would be useless Human capital with no  or limited skill whatsoever.. 

More skilled Labour class is coming out of Odisha,  Jharkhand and Chattisgarh anyway.   MP will pull its weight too. 

I'd like us to integrate Sri Lanka and even Bhutan to keep up the score.  Lankans are educated & have better living standards thanks to a HDI rivalling Kerala.   I give them a decade & a half tops & they will willfully integrate. 

General trend is South Indian population is on decline so that would solve the problem of replacement rate. 

Population around 1.2 billion is sufficient for global dominance ideally

You need different skilled workers. Low level and high levels. In my state the only people who are building apartments are from UP and Bihar. South has IT hubs, north and west has business hubs. East looks like going the athletic route. 

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

No misinformation...  IT minister of state has stated that higher tariffs are driving away investors in his letter to Sitaraman. 

US ambassador has already said Investment is mostly flowing to countries like Vietnam already which is not ideal for India. 

Here you go.. 

https://www.thehindu.com/business/business-matters-what-can-india-learn-from-countries-like-vietnam-to-become-an-export-giant/article67873464.ece

And India is not in a state of War yet with China...  Both sides seems to be in cooperation mode off late...  We may partner a deal with them in INSTC with Iran and Russia soon through Chabahar. 

When did I say GoI doesnt know that its hurting India.

Again simple terms.

1. Some are saying that as a tactical solution, start the assembly or whatever you can start and be competetive by importing things from China till you fully start manufacturing in India.

2. Some argue that if we do not manufacture in India, We will always remain a assembley location.

Both point 1 and point 2 has its own merits as we dont want our capacity to manufacture be in control of Chinese capacity+willingness to manufacture+export to India.

Trust me, From personal interactions I am saying this that if it wasnt duty,  Most "Industrialist" in India even today would rather like making money by importing unfished product from China and finishing it in India in every sector like ones manufacturing corn flakes to ones manufacturing mobile phones.

Atkeast unlike past, I trust that Govmnt of India is not stupid and treading carefully between carrot and stick approach. The duties on products by Indian Gvmnt is very detailed and its based on various stages of a product lifecycle.

PS: Remember How Elon Musk pitched Chinese manufactures Teslas entry few years In India and How GoI is still negotiating terms. Because GoI wants TESLA but a made In India Tesla because GoI knows, Tesla can take the hit of opening manufacturing plant in India

Edited by mishra

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

You need different skilled workers. Low level and high levels. In my state the only people who are building apartments are from UP and Bihar. South has IT hubs, north and west has business hubs. East looks like going the athletic route. 

As per my experience UP and Bihari Labour class is least skilled...  Even Govt contractors & NHPC is now 

mostly hiring Chattisgarh & Odiya Labour... As they are more disciplined and effective.  Not to mention Bengali and Odiya electricians are now common in Delhi and Punjab and numbers are in upswing.  

It's a myth India needs Bihar and Eastern UP for Labour requirements. 

While there is hope for UP thanks to industrial infrastructure in Western UP...  Bihar will keep plunging into depths...  No natural resources of Jharkhand and Chattisgarh  to save them either.  

1 hour ago, mishra said:

When did I say GoI doesnt know that its hurting India.

Again simple terms.

1. Some are saying that as a tactical solution, start the assembly or whatever you can start and be competetive by importing things from China till you fully start manufacturing in India.

2. Some argue that if we do not manufacture in India, We will always remain a assembley location.

Both point 1 and point 2 has its own merits as we dont want our capacity to manufacture be in control of Chinese capacity+willingness to manufacture+export to India.

Trust me, From personal interactions I am saying this that if it wasnt duty,  Most "Industrialist" in India even today would rather like making money by importing unfished product from China and finishing it in India in every sector like ones manufacturing corn flakes to ones manufacturing mobile phones.

Atkeast unlike past, I trust that Govmnt of India is not stupid and treading carefully between carrot and stick approach. The duties on products by Indian Gvmnt is very detailed and its based on various stages of a product lifecycle.

PS: Remember How Elon Musk pitched Chinese manufactures Teslas entry few years In India and How GoI is still negotiating terms. Because GoI wants TESLA but a made In India Tesla because GoI knows, Tesla can take the hit of opening manufacturing plant in India

On Tesla I'd like to add there is a conspiracy theory going around after GoI strong arming Musk....  He has altered the Twitter/X algorithm which has led to increased Indian hate content you are now seeing daily on Twitter/X.  Racism & hate content has skyrocketed on twitter against Indians 

Edited by Lone Wolf