Pragyan Ojha

DomainK

And there were people saying R.Ashwin "deserves" to be in the Test team more than this guy. People need to give this guy a fair deal. He picks up wickets, contains the flow of runs, is decent in LOC as well. Yet, he just doesn't get picked.
No people are saying he needs to be played ahead of Bhajji in the team.How did Ashwin come into this.

Ojha's biggest weakness is his poor fitness. He has put on too much of weight especially in the recent months and that could have a long term impact on his international career. One positive thing with this short bt very successful county stint is that he will most probably get to play for Surrey lot more and may get a contract for the entire season next year which will help him improve his fitness as well.

i must be one of the few people who think Ojha is decidedly average. a slow left arm wicket to wicket spinner who has practically no wicket taking deliveries. he has no use outside of the limited overs formats. taking wickets in county cricket means nothing, BTW. the standard of county cricket is pitiful, its miles off international cricket and this is shown by the fact that murali karthik - a journeyman spinner who couldnt get into the indian side - rips it apart year in and year out. ojha is averaging 8.75 or something in county cricket so ar, thats insane and not a true reflection of his abilities. more like a reflection of clueless english/kolpak cricketers being rubbish at playing spin.

i must be one of the few people who think Ojha is decidedly average. a slow left arm wicket to wicket spinner who has practically no wicket taking deliveries. he has no use outside of the limited overs formats. taking wickets in county cricket means nothing, BTW. the standard of county cricket is pitiful, its miles off international cricket and this is shown by the fact that murali karthik - a journeyman spinner who couldnt get into the indian side - rips it apart year in and year out. ojha is averaging 8.75 or something in county cricket so ar, thats insane and not a true reflection of his abilities. more like a reflection of clueless english/kolpak cricketers being rubbish at playing spin.
agree...he lacks variation...doesnt even have an effective arm ball.
Ojha turns the ball and has good flight .he is accurate also. You cannot expect finger spinners to take wickets on flat pitches no current bowler in world cricket can do do that,regarding arm ball he has one .

I agree with Manny. In the ODI picture I would say Ojha has been roughly treated - the World Cup and series' since - but there has been some revisionism mostly recently regarding Tests. His skillset is quite basic at the moment, IMO. Guys who wanted him in the team as a steady eddie probably have a point, that's about it. That isn't going to satisfy anyone long-term.

I keep hearing from some posters about him being a defensive bowler but he seems vastly superior to any bowler in the reckoning for Indian test team, even Bhajji. I dont think in India we know how to treat bowlers and we end up with a piss poor bowling line up. Or the selections are motivated by politics as always. The bottom line, Ojha should be in the Indian side.

I keep hearing from some posters about him being a defensive bowler but he seems vastly superior to any bowler in the reckoning for Indian test team, even Bhajji. I dont think in India we know how to treat bowlers and we end up with a piss poor bowling line up. Or the selections are motivated by politics as always. The bottom line, Ojha should be in the Indian side.
Defensive spinners are not the worst thing in the world. It is not like it is likely that batsmen will block him out, especially in the modern Test match game where 3-4 runs per over is expected and is standard.