I?ve the runs and experience: Dada

DesiChap

Re: I?ve the runs and experience: Dada I don't know what to say really. I know he hasn't runs but I also know he won't be any worse than the young ones that may have got selected. It is not the Ganguly's selection that worries me but his recent interview where he questioned the team's tactics. Not sure if you guys read that but he did say the expierments have gone on a bit too long. I think he has to upload the integrity of the team once he gets in. Ganguly can be very political for his personal gain and I hope he doesn't get into these acts once he is in the team. :roll:

Re: I?ve the runs and experience: Dada Don't worry. His mind will be set on scoring runs, and nothing else. He probably knows that his words will carry no weight whatsoever unless he backs himself with solid performances. Talk the talk but can't walk the walk, etc. BTW, what do you guys think he needs to do vs SA to get himself in the reckoning for the next test series ? A few 30's and 40's surely won't be enough. How about a couple of fifties here and there, maybe even a hundred ? or a 40+ average at the end of the series ? Will that be sufficient ?

Re: I?ve the runs and experience: Dada A hundred and a fifty will be good enough for him to hold on to his spot for the next couple of series. Mind you the next two series are ODI series' in India and against WI and SL. I'm sure if he comes through with couple of 50s or a 100 and a fifty he will end up securing a place for the ODI series'

Re: I?ve the runs and experience: Dada What about the effect on the dressing room and team spirit? Team morale is terrible as it is. Bringing gangs back is going to make things worse and divide the camp even more. The coach hates him and am sure dravid does not want him either. There authority has ben undermined and when the leaders of anything have their leadership undermined it will have negative effect on performance.

Re: I?ve the runs and experience: Dada

This is a pro sport.....no matter wht ego clashes they have off the pitch' date='it should NEVER reflect on the pitch..[/quote'] In theory I total agree and wish that was so. But in the real world team spirit, morale and togertheness are a real factor in top class sport. I feel it may impact the morale of the indian team. People like sehwag have clearly not been proffesiional in preparation and training, this is seen by his ever blossoming waist line. He may get even lazier with the authority up top undermined even more.

What about the effect on the dressing room and team spirit? Team morale is terrible as it is. Bringing gangs back is going to make things worse and divide the camp even more. The coach hates him and am sure dravid does not want him either. There authority has ben undermined and when the leaders of anything have their leadership undermined it will have negative effect on performance.
DSR - The moral can't get any lower. It is worst now even compared with Azza's reign. I think the moral will actually get better. The so called Ganguly supporters - Bhajji, Motu, etc may actually start performing. Look, just selecting him has raised so much debate already. Guruji can sit in the corner and sulk. :wtg: I also think that everyone is very cruel towards him ragarding what should he average etc. Give the guy a chance. He should be compared with the people around him not given albetrary figures. He can't & won't do worse than the people he has replaced - specifically Kaif. Putting my cynical hat on - I say this selection is politically motivated for Ganguly to fail on boncy wickets and thus get rid of him forever.

Re: I?ve the runs and experience: Dada Vengy talk it more cr#p. Apparently gangs picked cos he can fill the all rounder spot. Time for Vengy to go ============= KOLKATA, Dec 1: Former captain Sourav Ganguly could fill the vital slot of an all-rounder during the Test series in South Africa, India's chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar said on Friday. India-South Africa play three Tests, the first beginning December 15 in Johannesburg. "We need experience. We need to play an additional sixth batsman who can also perform as a bowler. Then we will have six batsmen and five bowlers. And Ganguly is the ideal person to fill that all-rounder's slot," Vengsarkar said. "He can add solidity to the middle order and brings years of experience with him," the chief selector said. "We have Virender Sehwag or Sachin Tendulkar also who can chip in for a few overs. The addition of Ganguly lends the depth in the middle order coming in at the number six position and also gives a balance to the bowling," he added.

He has to average atleast 35 to justify his selection or his test career will be over.
Exactly what i was thinking. In addition he should not be the worst batter in the lineup. ie, if all batsmen average above 40 and Ganguly averages only 35 thats not good enuff. An average of 40 with a few 50s, would be a performance, that would likely earn him a world cup recall as well.

Re: I?ve the runs and experience: Dada OK, let's look a particular scenario hypothetically. India are playing like crap right now, so one cannot rule out a 3-0 whitewash. The following is a conceivable course of events which i've laid out - assuming that the players fail to step up their game and lose the series. Now, in the event of another dreadful test series, imagine Ganguly scores 2 fifties and finishes with an average of 35. A pretty substandard performance. However - the rest of the batting lineup don't fare any better. Dravid and Tendulkar manage a hundred each but ultimately finish with an average in the high-30's and possibly just a shade above 40...ie; a mediocre showing and not much different from Ganguly. Laxman has his moments, gets some good starts but ends up averaging less than Ganguly - as do Jaffer and Dhoni. Sehwag does very well and is the only batsman to average over 45. Taking all that into account - who will make the cut for the next series ? Will Ganguly keep his place based on his average performance, or maybe retain it by replacing Laxman ? or will he be dropped ? The plot thickens. Put yourself in Vengsarkar's stinky shoes and tell me what you would do... :chin: