What song are you currently listening to ?

Rajiv

On 7/9/2021 at 12:21 AM, Mariyam said:

Do pal ke jeewan se

Ek umr churani hai.....

Zindagi aur kuch bhi nahi

Teri meri kahani hai

Lovely song

Santosh Anand was indeed a legendary lyricist and I have immense respect for his work which coincides with my youth years. Having said that, with all due respect, I find the line "Jeevan ka matlab to bas ana aur jana hai" to not be correct. Off ourse Santoshji was in his middle years and perhaps erred there. Isn't there so much to life than just being born and dying. A lot of positive and negative things we do have a vast impact on many. I know the artiststs have the leverage to tweak their words for the sake of rhyme and rythm, but I don't agree with that small line in the song. Otherwise  the song has very good lyrics and puts to shame the songs of today. Not to say all songs nowadays are rubbish but most are when I compare the songs when I heard in 70's. Veer Zaara(Javed Akhtar), Mohabateein( Anand Bakshi) DTPH, Raaz(Sameer Anjan), Border (JA again) which are next generation movies do have some awesome lyrics.

The music of Pyarelal is too good. What a gentleman he has been in this chaotic and ego filled bollywood industry. Truly two legends Santoshji and Pyarelalji. 

I know the 70's was not your time but it does seems that you value quality over quantity in the artistry and so may have listened to songs of past  So I would like to ask what is your take on lyrics of the old era as compared to lyrics of today.  Please do not consider Javed Akhtar from your generation, he is from our times. Which lyricists who started career  from 1990's do you think can hold atleast a  candle against the light of lyrics by Santoshji, Javed khtar, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Prem Dhawan, Shailendra,Gulzar,Bharat Vyas, Rajendra Kishan, Anand Bakshi, Sameer Anjan and many others of the previous era. 

I have ignored lyricist who started post 2000 because most songs lack quality lyrics. Is there any new generation lyricist worth following the work. 

Edited by Straight Drive

@Straight Drive

That is a nice discussion.

Its not even a contest. The lyricists from your time were working during 'my time' too. They were the mainstay. A lyricists shelf life is a lot more than that of a lead actor/actress and only gets better with time. Some even adapt. 

Gulzar, for example, is still active.

Is there any reason you've left out Sahir? He's also among the top few lyricists.

Here is a way to look at it. Songs from the 60s and 70s, in most cases, we would know the lyrics too. They would have a profound meaning. People would know almost every stanza. That's what happens when poems are converted to songs.

Songs from the 90s were catchy in a romantic way. You'd hum them but not know the entire song.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:49 PM, Mariyam said:

@Straight Drive

That is a nice discussion.

Its not even a contest. The lyricists from your time were working during 'my time' too. They were the mainstay. A lyricists shelf life is a lot more than that of a lead actor/actress and only gets better with time. Some even adapt. 

Gulzar, for example, is still active.

Is there any reason you've left out Sahir? He's also among the top few lyricists.

Here is a way to look at it. Songs from the 60s and 70s, in most cases, we would know the lyrics too. They would have a profound meaning. People would know almost every stanza. That's what happens when poems are converted to songs.

Songs from the 90s were catchy in a romantic way. You'd hum them but not know the entire song.

Who can forget  the gem written by Shahir and sung by Mukesh in "Kabhi Kabhie"

Mai pal do pal ka Shahir hu

Pal do pal meri kahani hai

Pal do pal meri hasti hai

Pal do pal meri jawaani hai

Woh bhi ek pal ka kissa the

Mai bhi ek pal ka kissa hi

Kal tumse judaa ho jaunga

Woh aaj tumharaa hissa hu

Muzse behetar kehne wale

Tumse behetar sunne wale

Kal koi muzko yaad kare