Fund watch: Emerging Markets

Bumper

Re: Fund watch: Emerging Markets

Yoda, am curious to learn more about successful options trading. Thats one area where i make consistent losses. Do u write option contracts or do u purchase contracts ? If you are a successful options trader, am curious what strategies u use ? As far as i can tell, only guys who write contracts make money. People who play with small money almost always have to write naked options, which is a big risk, IMO. From what i researched, most of the advanced options strategies recommended by experts, involve hedging, such as: Straddles (Simultaneous Call & Put), Call spreads (sell a lower strike price call & buy a higher strike priced call). But even for these, there is a big probability factor involved, which makes me nervous. Both BIDU & GOOG are examples of stocks, where a straddle may fetch u a guaranteed return after an earnings report, as both dont stay the next morning. If the market remains bullish, i plan to straddle (small sum of money) Google, Baidu just before every earnings report.
I am currently a paper-trader in the options world. I am pursuing 3 different strategies: a) day trade SPX options looking for a 0.50 cent increase. will trade a call or put depending on what the real-time chart says (i use bollinger bands and candlesticks on multiple timeframes). i am typically done before i go to work (9:30am PST). expected gain $500/day per 8k-20k invested, max loss (mental stop loss) - $1000/day. this is based on 10 contracts. one can increase/decrease to suit their convinience. so far results are good. i am losing once for every 7/8 successful trades. b) sell iron condor (sell 1 SPX bear call spread, 1 SPX bull put spread). c) out of the money (cheap) straddle before earnings on stocks which have a high tendency to move after earnings (not a GOOG 20 point move on a $400 stock, rather a RHAT 5 point move on a $30 stock). these have to be calculated on a options theoretical price calculator (by moving price/timeframe/volatility) to see how much the stock has to move to make money. right now, i am working on a (java) program to scan earnings.com and identify optionable, high moving stocks (after earnings) to look for potential opportunities in an automated way. given my laziness i expect that project to be completed in a year. :lol: I have been paper trading forever (1-2 years), but seriously only the last 2-3 months. I don't expect to put any real money for another 3/4 months. BTW, there is a thread on elite trader which talks about SPX spreads. There are some experts there. Here is the thread: http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=49586 I also bought this $15 booklet from this site (was referred to by someone else) which talks about the iron condor strategy: optionslinebacker.com I have found it to be quite useful, although it is a painful process to learn as you can trade only twice a month (1 call spread and 1 put spread).

Re: Fund watch: Emerging Markets And BTW, i do think theres a HUGE difference between paper trading & real trading. There are some risks u simply wont take in reality, that u may be willing to in a paper trade. Now that i know how u have been trading, I understand why u are talkin about options trading. When u stomach a couple of losses ur outlook will change.

Did u take that $3K investools course ? Apparently they dont give out the tools without taking their course ? Was the course useful ?
Yes, I did. It opened my eyes as to how much we need to learn before putting our money in the market. I have recovered what I have spent but I haven't done better only because I haven't spent time consistently.

thts y Bumps' date=' I had suggested tht the only way u will learn is by getting ur hands dirty... u will simply not have the motivation to research and dig info, unless it is cold cash at stake....[/quote'] Yoda, am sure will have an entirely diff opinion about options, once he starts trading with his REAL money. The most important difference is emotions When u are playing with paper cash of say $10K, u start with a few bad trades & u are down to $5K, u will still go for it & might make up ur losses in subsequent trades. But when u are playing with real money its a diff story. U will likely walk away after a $5k loss. The key to trading is, u need to keep doing it to recover ur losses. For that u need plenty of capital & a BIG stomach for losses.

Re: Fund watch: Emerging Markets I never put a penny in the stock market or MFs. Don't trust it. Whatever little I have, first goes in Tax free instruments (National Savings & ISAs in the UK), and if I have any left, in Fixed rate Bonds. I know I'll never make a killing, but I can't ever face the prospect that I lost money through excessive greed that would have secured my son's future.

I never put a penny in the stock market or MFs. Don't trust it. Whatever little I have, first goes in Tax free instruments (National Savings & ISAs in the UK), and if I have any left, in Fixed rate Bonds. I know I'll never make a killing, but I can't ever face the prospect that I lost money through excessive greed that would have secured my son's future.
Do they have an equivalent of pension plan or 401K in the UK ? How are your contributions in such a plan invested ?

Re: Fund watch: Emerging Markets Yeah, we have an employer's pension scheme. Since I work for the National Health Service, this is underwritten by the government. We pay 6% of our basic salary into it, and the employer adds another whack. It doesn't matter to us how it's invested, as we'll have a guaranteed pension based on our final salary when we retire. Unlike private pension schemes, the government will make good any shortfalls accrued through investment failures, etc.

Re: Fund watch: Emerging Markets In the US its a bit different. There is a plan called 401K. Every year u can invest up to a fixed TAX DEFERRED amt ($15K for 2006). Employers match a portion of it (not all do). The money is typically invested in mutual funds (u can also invest them in conservative bonds or savings accounts). U get to manage/pick funds yourself from a fixed list of funds ur 401K provider allows. When u retire u can take out your returns fully or on a monthly basis. Historically US stock markets have always headed up significantly, over a 30 year window (short term down turns not withstanding). Hence u end up making significant money by staying invested.