Bradman is the greatest, Sachin comes only second: Waugh, Benaud

Feed

Bradman is the greatest, Sachin comes only second: Waugh, Benaud  

2 members have voted

1. 1.

It's not Bradman's fault he only played against England. What is to say he wouldn't have the same, if not a better average if he played against other teams ? This whole debate is rather tedious. It's been over-discussed, Bradman the best of his era, Tendulkar the best of his era. That is how I see things. It is too subjective to compare which of the two is better.

It's not Bradman's fault he only played against England. What is to say he wouldn't have the same, if not a better average if he played against other teams ? This whole debate is rather tedious. It's been over-discussed, Bradman the best of his era, Tendulkar the best of his era. That is how I see things. It is too subjective to compare which of the two is better.
right mate
Its HQ is in India and the editor is Indian.....
HQ is now in India after it was sold by Wisden. Infact it even says so on the link you posted. Popular Profiles at Cricinfo * Nitin Sundar, Desk editor * Pavan Mehra, Chief Technology Officer * Sambit Bal, Editor * Deepak Gulati, Lead Architect * Deenadayalan C, Asst. Manager - Web Developement hmm yes it would seem all the important people at cricinfo are infact Indian, add this to the fact it has more Indian content than any other country, has most traffic from India and basically loves India it would appear its an indian website.
So similarly MCC does not belong to International cricket since it is based in England and has the English at the helm of affairs? What kind of logic is this? For the record, you should check this - Link
I agree. There are way too many factors that you have to assume to come up with a valid comparison.

Who's the best batsman since Bradman? Richie Benaud believes it's Sachin!! Ok. One more thread on 'The Boss'. Only this time it's a small video where Richie Benaud gives his opinion on who he believes is the best batsman since Bradman. Mind you, Richie Benaud is someone who has seen even Bradman play. He made his own debut in 1948, a year after bradman retired. He has grown up watching all the great players since Bradman's time from Sobers, Richards, Chapell, Gavaskar, Miandad, Border, and leaving many else. Enjoy the video - vthfSPF_LCw

Of course!! You know what Kallis thinks...Kallis has got where he is playing half his games in South Africa - the country with the lowest runs per wicket - ie THE HARDEST PLACE TO PLAY unlike India...flat flat flat wickets....+ when I saw him bat he looked better than Tendulkar. You need to respect the opinion of others' date= 'sach'dan (I'm sure Tendulkar is happy you worship him that much!) I respect other peoples opinions....what about you, or do you not know how to debate?
Its a shame that batsman like ponting averages 25 something on those flat wickets. :(( All well? Sorry all IS well?
Of course!! You know what Kallis thinks...Kallis has got where he is playing half his games in South Africa - the country with the lowest runs per wicket - ie THE HARDEST PLACE TO PLAY unlike India...flat flat flat wickets....+ when I saw him bat he looked better than Tendulkar. You need to respect the opinion of others' date=' 'sach'dan (I'm sure Tendulkar is happy you worship him that much!) I respect other peoples opinions....what about you, or do you not know how to debate?[/quote'] LOL its because pansies like England/Aus wet their pants at the slightest hint of turn and in turn we're required to make flat wickets
Ok. One more thread on 'The Boss'. Only this time it's a small video where Richie Benaud gives his opinion on who he believes is the best batsman since Bradman. Mind you, Richie Benaud is someone who has seen even Bradman play. He made his own debut in 1948, a year after bradman retired. He has grown up watching all the great players since Bradman's time from Sobers, Richards, Chapell, Gavaskar, Miandad, Border, and leaving many else. Enjoy the video - vthfSPF_LCw
This was an interview on ESS. The viewership base was primarily focussed in India. Having said that this is now seriously getting tiresom. The Sachin is greater than X, Y, Z debate.
Of course!! You know what Kallis thinks...Kallis has got where he is playing half his games in South Africa - the country with the lowest runs per wicket - ie THE HARDEST PLACE TO PLAY unlike India...flat flat flat wickets....+ when I saw him bat he looked better than Tendulkar. You need to respect the opinion of others' date=' 'sach'dan (I'm sure Tendulkar is happy you worship him that much!) I respect other peoples opinions....what about you, or do you not know how to debate?[/quote'] Well he isn't playing SA bowling attack in SA, is he? His record in SA against a similar bowling line up to his i.e. Aus is:
Career averages    	Span  	Mat  	Runs  	HS  	Bat Av  	100  	Wkts  	BBI  	Bowl Av  	5  	Ct  	St  	
unfiltered 	1995-2010 	137 	10843 	189* 	54.76 	34 	261 	6/54 	31.55 	5 	155 	0 	Profile
filtered 	1997-2009 	12 	749 	114 	35.66 	2 	29 	3/22 	31.51 	0 	13 	

In short: Avg of approx 36 in 12 tests, while Tendulkar averages approx 40 in SA (similar bowling attack to Aus) Also in Aus (apples to apples) Kallis - approx avg 46 Tendulkar - approx avg 59 in Eng (a place where conditions aren't all flat) Kallis - approx avg 29 Tendulkar - 62 in SL (a tough place for visiting teams) Kallis - approx avg 35 Tendulkar - approx avg 64 Obviously, you have an opinion but I guess what others are saying is does it make sense?!

Of course!! You know what Kallis thinks...Kallis has got where he is playing half his games in South Africa - the country with the lowest runs per wicket - ie THE HARDEST PLACE TO PLAY unlike India...flat flat flat wickets....+ when I saw him bat he looked better than Tendulkar. You need to respect the opinion of others' date=' 'sach'dan (I'm sure Tendulkar is happy you worship him that much!) I respect other peoples opinions....what about you, or do you not know how to debate?[/quote'] First things first. debate? not my cup of tea :winky: I haven't heard a single player who played along with Sachin and Kallis say that Kallis is a 'better' and 'skilled' batsman than Sachin. Whether Lara and Pwnting is of Sachin's class is debatable. But Kallis purely as a batsman is not quite in that league. Yes he's definitely the better all-round cricketer among those four...Very good batsman,good bowler and a fine fielder. Talking of pitches..Can you show me a "class" South African batsman who averages better outside South Africa? Even though conditions are tough, they have batted all their life on those tracks and are bound to do well there especially with lots of crappy bowling units touring nowadays. Agree..It's your opinion and should have respected that :)
Indeed - the fact that on Green pitches' date=' against great fast bowlers, ucovered pitches and with poor levels of protection, he avergaged nearly TWICE AS MUCH as the little record seeker (tendulkar if you don't know it):haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:[/quote'] Same opposition, same kind of bowling, no variety, etc, etc. Bradman is still greater but by not much. As for your Kallis argument :hysterical:
And' date=' as frequently stiplulated, I was not arguing about Kallis....merely expressing an opinion....so here's to your interpretative abilities:hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] I can't help but comment on that as what constitutes an argument depends upon how and why an opinion is made. Once you understand that others understand what you are trying to imply, it won't be difficult for you to get why people think that you gave your opinion to argue a point
Well he isn't playing SA bowling attack in SA, is he? His record in SA against a similar bowling line up to his i.e. Aus is:
Career averages    	Span  	Mat  	Runs  	HS  	Bat Av  	100  	Wkts  	BBI  	Bowl Av  	5  	Ct  	St  	
unfiltered 	1995-2010 	137 	10843 	189* 	54.76 	34 	261 	6/54 	31.55 	5 	155 	0 	Profile
filtered 	1997-2009 	12 	749 	114 	35.66 	2 	29 	3/22 	31.51 	0 	13 	

In short: Avg of approx 36 in 12 tests, while Tendulkar averages approx 40 in SA (similar bowling attack to Aus) Also in Aus (apples to apples) Kallis - approx avg 46 Tendulkar - approx avg 59 in Eng (a place where conditions aren't all flat) Kallis - approx avg 29 Tendulkar - 62 in SL (a tough place for visiting teams) Kallis - approx avg 35 Tendulkar - approx avg 64 Obviously, you have an opinion but I guess what others are saying is does it make sense?!

Come on man,please don't bring facts here.Especially where people trying hard to pass their opinions as facts:winky:

Is Tendulkar better than Bradman? at the test level, probably not. but keep in mind how the two may not be compared: Bradman knew his opposition well, he knew who was up against, and he played against a similar attack for a majority of his career. tendulkar must contend with playing varying oppositions in changing conditions, though the conditions are docile as compared to the then contemporary for the don. furthermore, tendulkar has more technological facilities available at his disposal to prepare him. thus the comparison is rather difficult to make: difficult conditions, but repeat exposure vs. relatively easier conditions, but limited exposure though some of that is neutralized with technology. furthermore, keep in mind that tendulkar was often the only performing batsman for the country for some time. bradman played in the company of brilliant batsmen and a dominating bowling attack. the two are not easily compared. had bradman averaged around 55-60s, it would be easy to conclude that tendulkar is better, but bradman averaged significantly higher. and thus, i must conclude, rather hesitantly mind you, that bradman was better.