Is this finally the end for Kaif?

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif?

yeah what a lucky cricketer Kaif is. on his comeback to Test cricket vs England he hits 91 first try and is dropped for the rest of the series. as always the classier player gets his place. anyway a couple of months later he grabs his opportunity with a 46* and 148*... 2 Tests down the line he again has to make way out of the squad for "classier and hence higher potential" players this sort of mistreatment would crush lesser men. look at aakash chopra, after being left out of the Test squad because "yuvraj is india's great hope as opener" (how did that work out). he was so crushed he didnt even make his State team in Ranji for a year, and got by playing league (not county, league) cricket in England and writing columns for HT. 2 years later he has finally found his cojones and is showing us what he can do. more power to him, he has gone through a test of character. same for Kaif. his whole damn career has been a test of character. reports are that his house has been attacked 6 times this past 10 days when he is in SA, add to that the injustice of not getting a place in the odis (he has missed 6 out of 11 games since scoring 3 50s in WI) and then being dropped from the Test squad, and you have the makings of a nervous breakdown. the man will learn from this and come back strong, trust me. i have seen few players display the vibrant type of team spirit he does. in fact our cricketing culture has no time for his sort of player, instead we look under rocks for the next tendulkar. Kaif took a few bad beats this time last year too. what he did was take control of his domestic team UP and lead them from the jaws of relegation to the winning trophy. i hope he does the same this year and learn from his coach and give a few naysayers the middle finger salute.
I've been saying the same thing for a while, but people are just too ignorant. ...and there is absolutely no way that he is finished at the tender age of 25. Wasim Jaffer came back three times (i think he is 30 now ?) and Laxman wasn't in the scheme of things until that '01 series vs Australia, despite having debuted as early as in '95 - so it's not like batsmen don't get second chances. Kaif scored runs in every Ranji Trophy match he played and led them to the title. After this drop, he can easily force his way back if he piles on the runs.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? >>he has missed 6 out of 11 games since scoring 3 50s in WI Says it all really. WHY? is the question. And before people start questioning his strike rate, look at the situations he came into. He rescued India from what would have been real humiliation. We'd rather see Sehwag breeze to a run a ball 10 wouldnt we? Mongia has been treated the same way. Fine all round performance vs Aus in DLF then keeps getting shunted in and out of the side. He had done more than enough to secure his spot for a 5 match run at least. And theres Kaifs test runs. Ton in WI.. >>on his comeback to Test cricket vs England he hits 91 first try and is dropped for the rest of the series. as always the classier player gets his place. anyway a couple of months later he grabs his opportunity with a 46* and 148*... Spot on from Dhruv... And he still gets dropped.

Kaif scored runs in every Ranji Trophy match he played and led them to the title. After this drop, he can easily force his way back if he piles on the runs.
Piling runs and Kaif - don't go together. AFAIK, the guy didn't even have a FC 100 before he was picked to play for India. How the heck did such a guy get a chance to play for India when you have several others "piling on the runs"?

AFAIK' date=' the guy didn't even have a FC 100 before he was picked to play for India. [/quote'] Actually, he DID have a few first class hundreds before making his debut against SA in the '00 series. A solid first class season which saw him scoring 450 runs at 48.something, in addition to his contributions which led to a u19 World Cup victory (he captained that side) got him in.
Piling runs and Kaif - don't go together.
LOL ! Ignorance...nothing like it. Last season he scored 642 runs at 58.36 (6 fifties and a hundred) in the 7 matches he played in UP's Ranji trophy winning campaign. What a p*ss poor player, eh. Like him or not, he will be back.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? He will be back unfortunatley. I am praying Gambhir slams some runs and thus forces his continued selection Can't believe all the praise for kaif, he has been dreadful for a number of years. The guy has no class, we have much better options. As for some of you mentioning captaincy and kaif in same breath this is the talk of lunatics. He should not even be in squad let alone captain :huh: Watch him bat, he does not grip the bat properly hence he gets no power in many of his shots. His stance is also shocking.

Watch him bat' date=' he does not grip the bat properly hence he gets no power in many of his shots. [/quote'] His grip is fine. The lack of power has more to do with his scrawny frame than anything else. PS Mr. Yoda; In the '05/06 Ranji season; Kaif 7 matches - 642 runs Badrinath 8 matches - 636 runs Venugopal Rao 8 matches - 391 runs Laxman 6 matches - 301 runs

Watch him bat' date=' he does not grip the bat properly hence he gets no power in many of his shots. [/quote'] His grip is fine. The lack of power has more to do with his scrawny frame than anything else. PS Mr. Yoda; In the '05/06 Ranji season; Kaif 7 matches - 642 runs Badrinath 8 matches - 636 runs Venugopal Rao 8 matches - 391 runs Laxman 6 matches - 301 runs
Er his grip is not fine. I have been saying for years it is awful. Then I think about six months ago he was told his grip was fine by Frazier. Thus clearly they viewed it with suspicion as well but were in denial so gave it the ok. Kaif is not class he is poor. His record is dreadful for India and we can and must do better if we want to be a force in the world.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? An average of 32 in test and odi's for someone who has been in team for years is just not good enough. His SR in odi's is a poor 72. This is just not good enough. He needs to go and there are others who can do better. He also will never be a great success cos of his technical deficiences. Gambhir, Roa, Badrinath and co need to be given their chances now, As Mr Kaif has simply not gabbed the unbelievable opportunities afforded to him.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? Mr. Predator: Kaif: 13 tests average 33 average in tests won - 13 average in tests lost - 20 average in drawn tests - 90 (yes, includes 2 tests which rained out and would have probably gone our way) why hasn't he piled up the runs in tests so far or is a 33 average what you expect of our middle order bats?

Gambhir' date=' Roa, Badrinath and co need to be given their chances now[/quote'] Oh, you mean those three batsmen who scored fewer runs than him last season ? :tired: oh, and i forgot to add "Gambhir 6 matches - 294 runs" to my little list. You can bend, twist, spin, and break the facts whichever way you like but it's still mindnumbingly obvious that he deserved a place in that Test squad.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? i guess people will be steadfast in their views, which is fine. i just dont think cricket is about class and style. it's about blood and guts. i will be cheering every 4 Kaif scores in domestic cricket. he's a cricketer that needs fans. he doesnt have a godfather like some, or get selected because he plays "beautiful" shots like others. anyways, enough said on this topic

i guess people will be steadfast in their views, which is fine. i just dont think cricket is about class and style. it's about blood and guts. i will be cheering every 4 Kaif scores in domestic cricket. it may not make a difference to him but he's a cricketer that needs fans. he doesnt have a godfather like some, or get selected because he plays "beautiful" shots like others. anyways, enough said on this topic
I am not interested in style or substance. I just want runs. If we are forever happy with mediocre players like Kaif with 33 average, how do we unearth the next Dravid and SRT?

why hasn't he piled up the runs in tests so far or is a 33 average what you expect of our middle order bats?
How do you expect someone to score when they never get any chances. He has got just 13 Tests in 6 years... :roll: Do me a favour and look up VVS Laxman's batting average in his first 13 tests.

Gambhir' date=' Roa, Badrinath and co need to be given their chances now[/quote'] Oh, you mean those three batsmen who scored fewer runs than him last season ? :tired: oh, and i forgot to add "Gambhir 6 matches - 294 runs" to my little list. You can bend, twist, spin, and break the facts whichever way you like but it's still mindnumbingly obvious that he deserved a place in that Test squad.
Yes a poor average of 32 makes it so obvious he should be in squad. He technically is not cut out to score big runs. Also this god father businnes is rubbish. If he had scored runs he would not have been dropped but he simply has never delevired. Quite frankly I think he must have a god father to have been in team for so many years despite continued failure.

Mr. Predator: Kaif: 13 tests average 33 average in tests won - 13 average in tests lost - 20 average in drawn tests - 90 (yes, includes 2 tests which rained out and would have probably gone our way) why hasn't he piled up the runs in tests so far or is a 33 average what you expect of our middle order bats?
you tell me how many of these ELEVEN Tests were in a row, or hell in the same season!

Mr. Predator: Kaif: 13 tests average 33 average in tests won - 13 average in tests lost - 20 average in drawn tests - 90 (yes, includes 2 tests which rained out and would have probably gone our way) why hasn't he piled up the runs in tests so far or is a 33 average what you expect of our middle order bats?
you tell me how many of these ELEVEN Tests were in a row, or hell in the same season!
Ok, pray tell me what he averages in hist last 25 ODIs (and I am pretty sure he played most of them in a row).