Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

There is a term for that, I will lookup my home computer when I get a chance. Essentially it is the sudden surge of glucose level that makes you drowsy.
Post-prandial hypoglycaemia. The trick is not too eat too much refined carbs, Sriram, such as sugar or sugary drinks, but go for complex carbs such as bread, particularly brown bread and potato for the cals and a good deal of protein with every meal, which will reduce your craving for refined carbs and make you feel full, besides having the advantage that protein is not convertible into fat.

There is a term for that, I will lookup my home computer when I get a chance. Essentially it is the sudden surge of glucose level that makes you drowsy. If you dont eat much of carbs and instead have a protein rich diet, say a Chicken breast sandwitch from subway you should not have this problem. I am guessing you feel this way because you consume a bit of rice which raises your insulin/glucose level.
Post-prandial hypoglycaemia. The trick is not too eat too much refined carbs, Sriram, such as sugar or sugary drinks, but go for complex carbs such as bread, particularly brown bread and potato for the cals and a good deal of protein with every meal, which will reduce your craving for refined carbs and make you feel full, besides having the advantage that protein is not convertible into fat.
Wow, many thanks fellas. You guys are giving tips for which fitness trainers charge lots of bucks. Appreciate your help, immensely. In a way, the time constraints of my lifestyle has got lots to do with what i eat. Eating glazed donuts/toasted bread for breakfast and fruits and juices means i dont have to cook anything. And I dont like to eat outside frequently, coz i consider it a bit unhealthy. So, I try to plan my diet in such a way that the only food i actually cook is my dinner. Even dinner, I make rasam/sambar that will last for 2 days atleast. I dont want to spend too much time cooking/washing. I would rather do something else more interesting.

haha...we haven't had a fitness thread in a while :regular_smile:

If you can't run' date=' do swim or use a stationery rower, or a cross trainer. .[/quote'] ...or my personal favorite; jumping rope. Buy yourself some 2 to 4 lb wrist weights and then try skipping rope at a decent pace (120-140 jumps per minute is manageable) without stopping for 20 minutes straight. Boxers do this to train for fights Swimming is easily the best cardio activity though, just because of the higher level of resistance provided by water. Problem is, not everyone has access to a pool.

Sorry, I should have qualified that. The blood sugar rises very quickly with refined carbs, resulting in an insulin surge, which can lower the blood sugar very quickly. It is this drop which makes you crave more and more food later. Hence, a term GI or glycaemic index has been coined, Complex carbs such as brown bread have a low GI and make the blood sugar (and insulin levels, as a consequence) rise very slowly. It is a rather circuitous answer to Sriram's question however, which is that following a meal, the blood supply is largely diverted to the gut, resulting in a relatively reduced flow to the brain. Hence you feel drowsy.

There you go!! Thanks a bunch Dhondy :two_thumbs_up: Thats the key Sriram. Complex carbs - whole grain bread or brown rice will do fine - along with some protein. Eggs/daal/yogurt/cottage cheese are your best bet if you dont take meat. Also I will suggest you to buy some sort of protein powder as well Sriram. Have it once a day so to cover your bases in case you are protein deficient. The protein powder is made from milk so you shouldnt have any problems there.

Say I incorporate the habit of running 30 mins everyday, When is the BEST time to run ? Morning ? or late evening ? I am just trying to absorb all of what you guys are telling me so that, at the end of it all, I can come up with some sort of time chart/plan for when i should exercise, what I should eat etc.

Say I incorporate the habit of running 30 mins everyday, When is the BEST time to run ? Morning ? or late evening ? I am just trying to absorb all of what you guys are telling me so that, at the end of it all, I can come up with some sort of time chart/plan for when i should exercise, what I should eat etc.
Get off the facking computer, and run now.:D There's no good or bad time, it's what suits you. I have sometimes been known to pound my treadmill at midnight when I missed out in the evening for some reason.

Guest dada_rocks
Not another fitness clinic by Lurker?:D Just a few dictums. Run regularly, use resistance training, don't smoke or drink beer and have regular sex. The latter apparently is just as good for your cardiovascular fitness as aerobics as per recent research. I realise that not all of these options are available to end users, but any othe other three should do the job.
I don't need to know anythign else :hysterical::yay:

Chal ek sample diet batata hoon tere ko. See how much of this you can manage in a day. And yes I will make you eat and eat and eat. Meal 1(around 9 am): 2-4 toast of wheat bread with honey/jelly/jam. 1 orange/apple/2 bananas Glass of milk(whatever you fancy regular or fatfree..upto you) Start with 2 bread and go upto 4. Since you are on lighter side you can afford to eat more if you can. Meal 2 (around 12 pm): Veggie sandwitch with yogurt and some fruit. You can get this from regular store. However if you can make it that would be even better. Meal 3 (around 3 pm) Whey protein with two spoons of macademia/peanut butter/olive oil. This is your new addition. And yes you need it because you are having little protein otherwise. I can give you names of a few Whey Protein you can check out at local fitness center. Meal 4(around 6 pm) Bowl of yogurt/cottage cheese with fruits. Meal 5 (around 9 pm) Typical meal - say rice, daal, veggies and stuff. This will get you 5 meals of which 4 are solid and one is supplemented. Once you get a hang of this I will increase the shake to twice a day to bump up your protein and thus you will also have 6 meals a day. Of course if you can start eating eggs that would help too but not sure if thats an option.
Arey...yeh toh jyaada ho gaya .... do u think I can eat 5 meals a day ??!!! I'm currently on 2 a day :sad_smile: I'll go to the store this weekend and purchase some fruits.. my friend uses Coach's Formula Whey protein , is it any good ? Any other recommendations ?

Awesome thread. :top: My breakfast is usually either a bowl of corn flakes or a croissant or two cups of yoghurt. Lunch is either a sandwich or a salad(like a chicken caesar salad). Dinner is usually pizza or pasta or noodles or Parathas(max 3) with curd/curry. Haven't been to the gym in the past month. When I went, I used to go 3-4 times a week for , on an average, a 45 min workout. This included running for around 3 miles in 20 minutes, cycling with very high resistance for 15 minutes and then winding down with dumbbells and crunches. I play about 4-5 sets of tennis over the weekend and an hour or two of badminton/football over the weekdays. I'm 5'10 and weigh 72 kgs. Any positives/negatives Lurker/Dhondy/Predator?

Awesome thread. :top: My breakfast is usually either a bowl of corn flakes or a croissant or two cups of yoghurt. Lunch is either a sandwich or a salad(like a chicken caesar salad). Dinner is usually pizza or pasta or noodles or Parathas(max 3) with curd/curry. Haven't been to the gym in the past month. When I went, I used to go 3-4 times a week for , on an average, a 45 min workout. This included running for around 3 miles in 20 minutes, cycling with very high resistance for 15 minutes and then winding down with dumbbells and crunches. I'm 5'10 and weigh 72 kgs. Any positives/negatives Lurker/Dhondy/Predator?
You need to lose 4 kg.:D

Say I incorporate the habit of running 30 mins everyday, When is the BEST time to run ? Morning ? or late evening ?
Typically I advise to run in the morning on an empty stomach. This ensures those who are trying to lose weight effectively burn their calories that was stored overnight. In your case since it is not so much a case of wanting to lose weight but more toning up pretty much anytime is fine. Just make sure you accompany it with a well balanced diet.

Ok, I have a very generic question. I have a friend. He is 5'8, but weighs 230 pounds, and has been in this level for lots of years now. None of the weight-loss techniques he tried seem to work. But there's a catch though. When he was a small kid, he suffered from asthma and the Doctors prescribed lots of steroids. He says its those steroids that have made so fat and its not possible for him to lose weight through natural means like diet/exercise. How true is this ?

My breakfast is usually either a bowl of corn flakes or a croissant or two cups of yoghurt. Lunch is either a sandwich or a salad(like a chicken caesar salad). Dinner is usually pizza or pasta or noodles or Parathas(max 3) with curd/curry. Haven't been to the gym in the past month. When I went, I used to go 3-4 times a week for , on an average, a 45 min workout. This included running for around 3 miles in 20 minutes, cycling with very high resistance for 15 minutes and then winding down with dumbbells and crunches. I play about 4-5 sets of tennis over the weekend and an hour or two of badminton/football over the weekdays. I'm 5'10 and weigh 72 kgs. Any positives/negatives Lurker/Dhondy/Predator?
Overall you seem to be doing pretty good Gambo. Your food is regular, if not perfectly balanced and your weight to height ratio is good. Of course only you will know if you have 72 kg of muscled body or 72 kg of body with a bit of fat onto it. Your exercise routine seems pretty good to me. 45 minutes is perfect. The only thing I would change there is do cardio/run/cycle for 25 minutes and resistance training for 20. I am suggesting more resistance training since you play tennis etc and I wouldnt want you to lose flexibility. Dietary wise I would recommend two things: 1) Include a protein shake in your diet because it seems you are running low on proteins. 2) Clean up your dinner. That appears like your "dirtiest" diet and it comes late in the day when there are every chances you would take to bed pretty soon after. Clean up your dinner and it shall help. xx

Typically I advise to run in the morning on an empty stomach. This ensures those who are trying to lose weight effectively burn their calories that was stored overnight. In your case since it is not so much a case of wanting to lose weight but more toning up pretty much anytime is fine. Just make sure you accompany it with a well balanced diet.
Shukriya-ji ! :two_thumbs_up:

I have a friend. He is 5'8, but weighs 230 pounds, and has been in this level for lots of years now. None of the weight-loss techniques he tried seem to work. But there's a catch though. When he was a small kid, he suffered from asthma and the Doctors prescribed lots of steroids. He says its those steroids that have made so fat and its not possible for him to lose weight through natural means like diet/exercise.
Sriram. I can't give you an expert opinion(maybe Dhondy can). However my personal thinking is that if he wants he can lose weight. I can see why he gained weight(due to medication) but now that he is off(I assume he is off) the medication will wear itself out over a period of time. This is true for heaviest of bodybuilders who load their bodies with huge amount of steroids and after they come off the "cycle" the body starts the clean-up act. A good way to convince him would be to have him look at his family - brother, sister, parents etc. If none of them are on the obese side then common sense tells me that it is not genetic or hereditory. So surely it can be taken care of.

I have been doing lot of yoga lately . In fact the whole enchilada .So ' date= can chime in on the merits - demerits of any asana ... I found it more useful then physical exercise .Controlled breathing is the key here .. Yoga is based on it whereas physical exercises , I am not sure.
I want to give yoga a shot. Specially for flexibility. Lately I seem to be losing that. Any recommendation KR?