Sachin Tendulkar or Vivian Richards?

When compared to Tendulkar. here's another stat : No.Of Sub 25 avg bowlers faced by Viv = 5 in a Total of 38 Tests No.Of Sub 25 avg bowlers faced by SRT = 18 in a Total of 108 Tests. Thats almost as long as Vivs entire test career. :--D
I'm not comparing him to Goddy. I've always said the Goddy is the best ever - there's no other player who can be compared to him, be it Viv Richards or Bradman or anyone else :--D What I'm saying is that Viv Richards was not a mediocre player. Today we see the likes of Sehwag, Gilchrist etc demolish attacks with great ease - it was Viv Richards who really started this kind of batting IMO. He was one of the very few players who's mere presence was enough to intimidate bowlers. In an era when players usually had a strike rate of 70-75 in ODIs, he had a strike rate of 90+ that was astonishing in those times.
I'm not comparing him to Goddy. I've always said the Goddy is the best ever - there's no other player who can be compared to him, be it Viv Richards or Bradman or anyone else :--D What I'm saying is that Viv Richards was not a mediocre player. Today we see the likes of Sehwag, Gilchrist etc demolish attacks with great ease - it was Viv Richards who really started this kind of batting IMO. He was one of the very few players who's mere presence was enough to intimidate bowlers. In an era when players usually had a strike rate of 70-75 in ODIs, he had a strike rate of 90+ that was astonishing in those times.
Totally agree. I dont think Viv is a better batsman than SRT, but saying Viv Richards is mediocre is a partisan statement. His ODI average is 47 with a SR of 90+. Plus a handy bowling average of 35.
I like the way how Richard picks up his game in important matches. He was avg'ing close to 60 in his best years and we know the manner in which he plays .... I would degress to ODIs for a moment where in 1975' date=' he effected a few run outs with probably direct hits to change the game for WI and ofc in 1979 he hit that 100. In 19983, he was all set to guide WI home but for that memorable catch by Kapil .... If I am not wrong there was also a game at Rajkot which Ind was set to win but Richards hit some 7 sixes to seal the game for WI. He hit a 100 in one of the tests to give WI the win. If I am not wrong, Ind later won the last test because of Hirwani to tie the series[/quote']I remember both the matches of the 87-88 tour. The ODI where Richards smashed a brutal 110 or something...twas his last ODI century in his career...quite telling that stat given Viv played till 1991 (much like Kapsy, and his mate Botham, Viv also lost his abilities quite drastically). The century in the Test series was Mumbai if I am not wrong...it was the first or second Test of the series...it was a 4 Test series. But the more brutal innings came in the first ODI of that series by the just recently sacked captain, Kapil. Big Buffalo Patrick Patterson sent shivers down India's spine and we were 36 for 5. then me hero comes out and plays one for the Gods. I have never seen Richards with an expression of worry or fear but the way Kapil took the buffalo by his horns and sent him all around, damn Richards could be forgiven for forgetting he was Richards. At one point he put 7 men on the on side which wasn't allowed and the ump intervened to tell him the rule was a max of 6 on the On side. I was in sixth standard then but I remember the innings really well.
This is actually tougher to sell than Comparison with Bradman. I never saw Bradman play, but I have seen the King at work and I have to say there is none like him. He probably had the best eye of all the batsmen I have seen and could just plant his front foot down and play wherever he wanted. Not to mention that he scored when it mattered the most at brisk pace. I won't he even talk of his swagger, would make fast bowlers shake in their boots. This is one batsman I would put ahead of everyone including Goddy.
I think this comparison resembles (at a slightly lower level) a comparison between Viru and Pawning. While Viru induces fear in the opposition, Pawning also induces fear in his own way. As long as Pawning is in there you know he can win it for you or dig you out of a hole. But Viru is not a well rounded batsman in that sense...he can get you out of trouble only by counter attacking. Viv was the original counter attacker I'd say. But if the pitch has some juice or a deadly spell of bowling was going on, you can't count on Viru surviving it...I don't remember and haven't heard of any such performances by Viv. So while Viv could bludgeon and would come good on most days, I don't think he was as reliable as Sachin is. So while Viv may be the King, Sachin is beyond all such earthly titles...he is a bloody Buddha! I also think the Prince from Trinidad was mightier than the Jamaican King. Lara best batsman to come out of WI for me. Next comes Sobers and only then Viv.

This with vs w/o helmet thing is an absurd point of comparison. Just because Sachin grew up playing with helmet does not mean that he would not have played as good w/o helmet. I would imagine he would have played even more freely. Helmet does protect against bouncers, but it also adds a bit of inconvenience, esp. in hot and humid conditions.