'Bhagvad Gita' faces 'extremist' branding, legal ban in Russia

Sachin=GOD

oh you are so naive. If India were to ban bible' date=' you would have liberal cvnts, secularists, missionary run NGOs and religious politicians world over hounding Indian embassies and government regarding such gross violation of human rights and freedom of religion. [/quote']Could be. So let the NGOs and other "cvnts" get involved in this case about the Gita at a non-government level. I dont understand what is the official business of the Indian govt to defend the Gita. Russia has never interfered in our internal affairs and has supported us at various international fora, so we should also follow the same policy in our relations at least with Russia.

LOL, yeah, go protest against a country that is one of india's oldest, long standing allies and most reliable arms and aircraft suppliers, because they didn't think much of your crappy religious book. that makes sense. on a related note, i just love seeing whats happening in europe nowadays. blanket bans on public religious expression, religious rituals, monitoring of religious institutions, shunning of stupid religious laws. step 1 in achieving a terror free society.
the days of India being wholly reliant on Russian arms are over. As the episode over Groshkov shows. If anything if we pull out the russian defence industry will be in crisis. We are their biggest customer. What we have is leverage. Use it. As far as being an ally goes. You dont treat something sacred to a significant population of your ally like that. Plus alliances change all the time. Nobody said they have to endorse the book. But at the same time they dont have to ban it. Your telling me the religious texts of other major religions are not violent? Its not as if the Gita has been published just yesterday. Its been around for a long long time, way before the USSR or Russia was formed. Why the sudden turn in banning it? I can understand their stand if they ban it a few years from the day they were formed. All this does it tell me they want to check the actions of ISKON. I mean what next, people ban Merchant of Venice cause its anti semetic. ? and thats just literature.

India is the only country that can officially take the cause of Hindu' date='Sikhs and Jains.these religions don't have any other country so India should officially talk to Russia in this regard[/quote']Actually that is not true when it comes to Hindus coz I think the only Hindu nation in the world is Nepal. So Nepal should be infuriated. But anyway I dont see a big deal in them banning...they are their own country and who are we to interfere. However if they start a conversion drive and get violent on Hindus as a target community then we should rise up. We've been a tolerant nation for the most part of our 20k year history. Why must we stoop down to their level by banning bible and all?

Actually that is not true when it comes to Hindus coz I think the only Hindu nation in the world is Nepal. So Nepal should be infuriated. But anyway I dont see a big deal in them banning...they are their own country and who are we to interfere. However if they start a conversion drive and get violent on Hindus as a target community then we should rise up. We've been a tolerant nation for the most part of our 20k year history. Why must we stoop down to their level by banning bible and all?
no harm in bringing it up. Thats what manmohan will do. Thats hardly butting in. Leaders bring up things all the time. Putin consistently brings up Kashmir http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/955698.stm which is none of his business. You dont see Manmohan going to Russia and asking their parliament to "compromise" on places like Chechnya or even the dispute with Georgia.

Its also a bit rich for many of us to think that banning the Gita is a huge deal when we ourselves ban / do not give credence many of our own books and works - MF Hussain History of the Taj Mahal by Oak Our own books of Indian history uncorrupted by Marxists and European Indologists
you are comparing from books written on history/art to a book which is a central part of a major organised religion recognised by the UN? talk about apples and oranges.

no harm in bringing it up. Thats what manmohan will do. Thats hardly butting in. Leaders bring up things all the time. Putin consistently brings up Kashmir http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/955698.stm which is none of his business. You dont see Manmohan going to Russia and asking their parliament to "compromise" on places like Chechnya or even the dispute with Georgia.
Fair enough...no harm in "bringing it up" but I dont see a reason for us to put pressure on them to un-ban it. What if tomorrow Russia starts putting pressure on us to start giving more benefits for christian missionaries or churches or tomorrow the towel heads start asking for implementation of shariah or Jains start saying everyone must become veggie or vegan?

Fair enough...no harm in "bringing it up" but I dont see a reason for us to put pressure on them to un-ban it. What if tomorrow Russia starts putting pressure on us to start giving more benefits for christian missionaries or churches or tomorrow the towel heads start asking for implementation of shariah or Jains start saying everyone must become veggie or vegan?
dont be naive thats how global diplomacy works. If this would have been the koran the muslim nations across the world would be up in arms. When Germany wanted to ban the swastika in the EU the Indian government reached out to the UK who lobbied hard to ensure that never came to fruition. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4178643.stm Same was the case when there was a ban of religious symbols in French schools. The government lobbied to help sikhs keep the turban. It was brought up during the time if French sale of scorpenes to india and again, lets compare like to like, if we ban the bible/old testament or whatever religious text then Russia would be right to complain. As things stand our laws dont do any of that or are not on the verge of it. As i said before, you want to be naive and think we should not be butting in when the rest of the world seems to butt in all the time. There is no point in me discussing things. Everybody butts in.

you are comparing from books written on history/art to a book which is a central part of a major organised religion recognised by the UN? talk about apples and oranges.
Dude, it's a historical book and is part of a larger book of history called Mahabharatha. The Mahabharata is called an "Itihasa" not even a "Purana". The difference between the two is that an Itihasa = recent history, and Purana = ancient history and therefore can have elements of myth involved in it. The Gita may be viewed as a religious book, and it is. But if you were to evaluate it as a work, it is a history book....rather a section in a larger history book of Bharatvarsha of a period of 100-200 years called the Mahabharata which happened during 6000-5000 BC / 4000 - 3100 BC (depending on which historian you listen to) And if it is right that we are dealing with AC Bhaktivedanta's book then "Bhagvad Gita As It Is" is a book about a historical book called the Gita. More than 50% of Prabhupada's book is his own purports of the verses. I have read the book 3 times when I was in my college and early 20s. And I believe Prabhupada also has gone overboard in some of his purports where he refers to women as lesser than men. This is not in the Gita, this is Prabhupada's interpretation of a Gita verse.

But anyway I dont see a big deal in them banning...they are their own country and who are we to interfere. However if they start a conversion drive and get violent on Hindus as a target community then we should rise up.
That's naive. With the global nature of things these days with Citizens of one country living else where, countries do often get involved in protecting the rights of their people and sometimes even people of their origin.

dont be naive thats how global diplomacy works. If this would have been the koran the muslim nations across the world would be up in arms. When Germany wanted to ban the swastika in the EU the Indian government reached out to the UK who lobbied hard to ensure that never came to fruition. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4178643.stm Same was the case when there was a ban of religious symbols in French schools. The government lobbied to help sikhs keep the turban. It was brought up during the time if French sale of scorpenes to india and again, lets compare like to like, if we ban the bible/old testament or whatever religious text then Russia would be right to complain. As things stand our laws dont do any of that or are not on the verge of it. As i said before, you want to be naive and think we should not be butting in when the rest of the world seems to butt in all the time. There is no point in me discussing things. Everybody butts in.
Alright fine let's say our government puts pressure on the Raashians to un-ban the book. What do you think the Raashians will do? Now, lets suppose the Raashians tell MMS to take a hike. How do you think we must respond?

That's naive. With the global nature of things these days with Citizens of one country living else where' date=' countries do often get involved in protecting the rights of their people and sometimes even people of their origin.[/quote']Fair enough...no problem with that at all. What do you think we must do? Also how should we react if some country tells us that we should ban some movie coz it shows Jesus in bad light or questions accepted truth about Jesus or Mohammed (like Da Vinci code)?