'Bhagvad Gita' faces 'extremist' branding, legal ban in Russia

Sachin=GOD

Fair enough...no problem with that at all. What do you think we must do? Also how should we react if some country tells us that we should ban some movie coz it shows Jesus in bad light or questions accepted truth about Jesus or Mohammed (like Da Vinci code)?
We go out of our way to ensure religious freedom and protecting the rights of the minorities. We have enough groups who will be first in line to fight for those above and take it all the way to the Supreme court (like in the case of Satanic Verses) if necessary. In the event, some other country raises issues which concern them or their citizens or people of their origin living in India, we should listen. Ofc the final decision has to be in accordance with Indian laws.

We go out of our way to ensure religious freedom and protecting the rights of the minorities. We have enough groups who will be first in line to fight for those above and take it all the way to the Supreme court (like in the case of Satanic Verses) if necessary. In the event, some other country raises issues which concern them or their citizens or people of their origin living in India, we should listen. Ofc the final decision has to be in accordance with Indian laws.
That dunn answer my question(s), My first question was with regards Russia's stance....now that Russia has banned the book (let us assume it has if it hasn't already) what should India do? Second question - If Russia do not care about it and continue to ban the book in spite of whatever it is that India does, then what must we do?

That dunn answer my question(s), My first question was with regards Russia's stance....now that Russia has banned the book (let us assume it has if it hasn't already) what should India do? Second question - If Russia do not care about it and continue to ban the book in spite of whatever it is that India does, then what must we do?
TBH there is nothing much India' can do but if they do not care about India's stand on it then India should not look at Russia as its firend or trusted ally anymore

Actually that is not true when it comes to Hindus coz I think the only Hindu nation in the world is Nepal. So Nepal should be infuriated. But anyway I dont see a big deal in them banning...they are their own country and who are we to interfere. However if they start a conversion drive and get violent on Hindus as a target community then we should rise up. We've been a tolerant nation for the most part of our 20k year history. Why must we stoop down to their level by banning bible and all?
Nepal at present is like do mullon mein murgi haram ,stuck between India and china.they are also moving toward more to communism.Also poor and weak Nepal is almost non existent to most of the world when it comes to taking any of the decision

We can't do much, except to raise the issue. Not exactly sure what banning the book means, does it mean that if they find it in someone's house, they can arrest them? If so, it is a bigger rights issue than just not making it available for public purchase.

Also, Russia the country has been butting into every-bodies business for a long long time. Forget the cold war. Just look at their butting in the Balkans. Thats not even taking their butting into former soviet nations like Georgia and Ukraine. They and the USA are literally the last nations who should complain about people butting in their affairs. The fact of the matter is Putin loves to and has an ambition to promote the BRICs as a legitimate counter weight to the west. Might be wise on his part not to ban a book close to the hearts of many of the people in a fellow BRIC nation. Not that i think the BRIC association will be anything other than just a random group of big countries, but still.

LOL' date=' yeah, go protest against a country that is one of india's oldest, long standing allies and most reliable arms and aircraft suppliers, because they didn't think much of your crappy religious book. that makes sense. [/quote'] if you consider yourself an atheist...that's fine...it's the 'in' thing/fad nowadays. Don't faaking insult something you have never bothered to read in the 1st place.

if you consider yourself an atheist...that's fine...it's the 'in' thing/fad nowadays. Don't faaking insult something you have never bothered to read in the 1st place.
good point BB well said Tex, why would someone who has no clue about Bhagvad Gita say something like that :headshake:
++ Stuff like Bible is loathed by people who actually read it. However, I have yet to see someone who read Gita and called it crappy. The God references in Gita may not go well with hardcore atheist, but otherwise it is pretty decent philosophical read.

People fail to realize that Hinduism is less of a religion and more of a way of living. At least that is how it was originally, before cultural influences (Moghuls, British) and Father Time hardened it into an array of blind superstitions, dogmatic rituals and stupid prejudices (castes are just legacies of professions - Kshatriyas eat meat because they go to war, Brahmins were recommended to follow vegetarianism because they don't get too much exercise etc.)

Hinduism is a way of life.. its transcends religion, race, caste,creed. Let Russia or for that that any country ban hinduism but we shall persist.. we have been here before the birth of all other religions and we shall survive till the end of humanity, for we do not preach hatred, we do not preach be hindu or go to hell, we do not preach that we are the only true religion and true god.

if you consider yourself an atheist...that's fine...it's the 'in' thing/fad nowadays. Don't faaking insult something you have never bothered to read in the 1st place.
:hysterical::hysterical: Yeah, athiesm as much an in-thing as evolution is. People using science and logic to understand the world rather than some archaic text, how stupid, right. Texas, represent :isalute:

We can't do much' date= except to raise the issue. Not exactly sure what banning the book means, does it mean that if they find it in someone's house, they can arrest them? If so, it is a bigger rights issue than just not making it available for public purchase.
And it is exactly because of realizing this that I had mentioned in my earlier posts that the max we must do is to "bring it up" beyond that it is their own country and so we must not interfere. We must understand that banning a book is not equal to genocide or gross human rights violation. In every country there will be some books which are banned. Now because this is the Gita it hurts our ego but seriously what difference does it make to us whether AC Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada's version of the Gita sells in Raashia or not? We can't do - actually shouldn't do - more beyond making a few requests at the top level beyond that it is stupid to engage ourselves. They are not killing Hindus for fu

@Vijay the point is that the russians dont mind meddling in internal affairs of other countries. Neither should they mind if others are not happy with their decisions. You cant expect a country like Russia who is a permanent member on UNSC to act like this. PS whats with Raashia? or have i missed something?

:hysterical::hysterical: Yeah' date=' athiesm as much an in-thing as evolution is. People using science and logic to understand the world rather than some archaic text, how stupid, right. Texas, represent :isalute:[/quote'] The gita is more about philosophy. Which science cannot be confused with. If somebody says as a core message "good must triumph over evil", thats not same as saying "the world is flat." i mean what next, you are going to say "the republic" by plato is wrong cause science can prove his choice/ideal of governance is wrong. and for the record , there is a steam of hinduism which does believe in no god. Veer Savarkar one of the founders of the RSS believed in that. Even Buddhism, one of the central themes in mainstream Buddhism is that there is no god. A person can be a hindu or Buddhism and not believe in god. Enough of this Abrahamic version of what an atheist is.

The gita is more about philosophy. Which science cannot be confused with. If somebody says as a core message "good must triumph over evil", thats not same as saying "the world is flat." i mean what next, you are going to say "the republic" by plato is wrong cause science can prove his choice/ideal of governance is wrong. and for the record , there is a steam of hinduism which does believe in no god. Veer Savarkar one of the founders of the RSS believed in that. Even Buddhism, one of the central themes in mainstream Buddhism is that there is no god. A person can be a hindu or Buddhism and not believe in god. Enough of this Abrahamic version of what an atheist is.
Sure. So what is the hindu version of athiest ? Is it the one that does not believe Brahma created the world ? Or does it include deity worship or not.

People fail to realize that Hinduism is less of a religion and more of a way of living. At least that is how it was originally' date=' before cultural influences (Moghuls, British) and Father Time hardened it into an array of blind superstitions, dogmatic rituals and stupid prejudices (castes are just legacies of professions - Kshatriyas eat meat because they go to war, Brahmins were recommended to follow vegetarianism because they don't get too much exercise etc.)[/quote'] ++++ Too many worthless superstitions and rituals in the past 2000-3000 years. At least during the Chanakya - Chandragupt Maurya era onwards.

@Vijay the point is that the russians dont mind meddling in internal affairs of other countries. Neither should they mind if others are not happy with their decisions. You cant expect a country like Russia who is a permanent member on UNSC to act like this.
Every country "meddles" in other countries' business. We meddle in the business of other South Asian countries too. But my point is, that it is immaterial to this issue. We are talking about banning of a book by their government. They have every right to do that just like Saudi has every right to be an Islamic country and not allow anything non-Islamic in their country, just like Nepal has every right to be a Hindu Rashtra by Constitution, just like the UK has the Church representation in their Parliament, just like we have a right to be a secular country.
PS whats with Raashia? or have i missed something?
O, it's the way they pronounce Russia...they say Raashia