Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news

beetle

Re: Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news

That lineup was more potent IMO. Look at it: MS Atapattu ST Jayasuriya +KC Sangakkara DPMD Jayawardene TM Dilshan *HP Tillakaratne TT Samaraweera WPUJC Vaas DNT Zoysa HMRKB Herath M Muralitharan And they were playing at home to boot. In SL, nearly all SL batsmen bat like Bradman.
You don't even have to bother with reading out that whole lineup...just look at who their #7 batsman was - Samaraweera; the man who was averaging around 55 at the time. That is enough for me to say that the Lankan batting lineup in '04 was far better than the current crop, which is more inexperiened and has crappy, talentless shyte like Kapugedegadededara (or whatever the hell his name is) completing the middle order. ...and yeah, Warne is a legend. Australia can replace McGrath (Stuart Clark) but never in a million years will they unearth another Warne !

Like I said its not about "How Many" ... its about being helped "when it counts or matters " ... like the Crucial series against India ... Aussies lucked out in 99/03/04 .... when they shouldnt have .... defeats there would have ended their careers or dented their confidence as opposed to the Moral boost that they obviously get.
Errr...no amount of umpiring or anything would have saved the Indians in '99. If you think otherwise I dont know what to say. McGrath and Warne did not play in '03 so its irrelevant to the present discussion. So one series of umpiring favours in '04 is responsible for their bowling achievments?

Shane Warne: Why I quit By Shane Warne December 22, 2006 A FEW hours after we regained the Ashes, I approached skipper Ricky Ponting in the dressing room with the biggest decision of my cricket career. "Can I have a chat before you leave?" I asked as the party died down. He replied: "Yeah, what about?" Sensing what I was about to say, he hastily added: "No, no, I am not talking to you, I am not talking to you, I am not talking to you." He didn't want to hear the news. I just said: "Look mate, it's time to retire." He couldn't believe it and was in shock. "What are you talking about?" As a friend, he wanted to make sure I was going for the right reasons. I was 100 per cent sure. This was the right time to go. The Ashes had been won and I was still bowling well. This was on my terms. Ricky didn't try to talk me out of it. I now just want to get through these next two matches. To go out in Melbourne in front of 100,000 people in my backyard ? and hopefully get 700 wickets ? will be superb. Then to go to Sydney where it all started ? it has a great ring to it. As for the future, I am open for suggestions. Whether it be business or cricket, or a combination of both. I haven't spoken yet to Channel 9 about becoming a commentator. I don't necessarily just want to finish up and end in the commentary box. I want to stay involved in cricket but am not sure in what role. Whether it be as a selector, or a coach ? make that team manager ? or start up my own spin academy, I'll weigh that up. Once the series is over, my priority is to spend time with my family and work on the Shane Warne Foundation. But I'll miss my mates on the cricket field. I am pretty close to Ricky. We have known each other a long time. I gave him his nickname "Punter" when he was 16. He deserved to be the first to know. We finished off by shaking hands and gave each other a bit of a hug. I told a couple of the other guys straight after I had spoken to Ricky. They were also in shock and thought I was bowling well enough to keep going. They knew how much I love the game, how much I have given to the game and how much I have busted my gut. They knew how important the game was to me and wanted to make sure this was what I wanted. It's all got to come to an end, but I guess the others were thinking: has it got to happen right now? I just knew it was my time.
:Cry::Cry:

Re: Warne and Mcgrath to quit....Breaking news even 92 series down under where we lost 4-0...could have been 3-2 or 2-2 had umpiring been of any standard.. I remember Ian Chappell saying "If thats LBW, I am Dutchmen".. I remember Gavaskar saying, Aussies play with 13 men..