Aus V/S NZ World Cup 96

ravishingravi

Shwetabh, Mark Waugh was one of the top dogs in cricket, specially LOI around 1996. His performance in WC was second to none. Best of the best statement is always dicey but he was certainly right up there with Lara, Sachin, Inzzy in that time. In fact you made me search PWC ratings of the time. (:beee::beee::beee: ) and around the finals, March 1996, Lara-SRT-MWaugh are 1-2-3 LOI. Cant argue much with that.
Agree with this. Mark Waugh was certainly up there in ODI cricket around 96. He was playing amazing in that world cup. I would not put Inzi in the same bracket. Anwar was better batsman in both forms and esp in ODIs where him and sachin were going for hundreds battle.

As usual I will derail the thread :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: PWC ratings used to be a very interesting website. Here is how top 10 bowler ranking looked like on 5-DEC-1982 (30 years ago) Dennis Lillee Joel Garner Andy Roberts Richard Hadlee Michael Holding Imran Khan Bob Willis Ian Botham Kapil Dev Greg Chappell WOW! But for Greg CHappell, all of them would be contender for their country in all time XI. No bits and bobs players :agree::agree:

Greg in top ten bowling rankings? Must be a typo.
Nope he was a pretty handy bowler. A medium pacer who could swing both ways. Obviously not good enough to be a top 10 bowler though, must be having a great season. He was the reason India was dismissed once for 60 odds in LOI, he took 6 wickets or so...

Shwetabh, Mark Waugh was one of the top dogs in cricket, specially LOI around 1996. His performance in WC was second to none. Best of the best statement is always dicey but he was certainly right up there with Lara, Sachin, Inzzy in that time. In fact you made me search PWC ratings of the time. (:beee::beee::beee: ) and around the finals, March 1996, Lara-SRT-MWaugh are 1-2-3 LOI. Cant argue much with that.
M Waugh was one of the best ODI batsmen in the mid 90s. The OPs statement was a generic one across formats. He was good in tests and certainly underachieved, but Tendulkar, Lara, and S Waugh were always clearly better during that time.