All time football world 11, from 60s onwards

King Tendulkar

You cant just number crunch and its not just about wc. I am just pointing out that up to 86 wc there was debate about who was best. But as the years rolled on Maradona did not just become number 1 and better then platini, he became maybe best ever All this stat crunching is pointless, as other wise if about goals it would be pure forwards who score goals who are the best only. Maradona almost singled handedly won 86 wc for argies. Also the fact he propelled average Napoli to win the league was amazing, again almost single handedly. Little old Napoli winning the league, amazing, just cos of diego. Platini was in all powerful Juve team, power house institution. Platini could never have won the league for Napoli like diego did. In fact no player in history of game could have. Forget the number crunching, you missing the point!!!
If you are talking the 82-86 era, before the superstardom of Maradona, you gotto mention the greatest underachiever in soccer history: zico!

It is a differet game. To say players run less today is categorically wrong. Try being the guy who got fleet-footed by maradona and ran break-neck with him for half the field. Play back then was more individualistic. Meaning individuals, particulary key individuals, undertook a lot more long runs themselves in bursts, while there being lulls in play involving long crosses or short passes to open up the field for individual play. Now, the game involves more running around in general, but not at top speeds for extended periods, as most players are involved with the ball only for a fraction of a second at a time. Its gone from walk-jog-run 100m dash to 'perma-jog, 10 meter sprint, stop, perma jog'. In terms of total kms ran per game, the varience is less today and maybe they do run a bit more, but not by a whole lot as an average. And they definitely do play a lot more soccer, so they definitely suffer from 'stale/out of gas & overworked' syndrome. Interestingly, this whole 'soccer is better now', is a view that I've predominantly noticed amongst EPL followers and to a minor extent, German soccer followers. But that is understandable, EPL was dire in the 80s and the German league was far less lucrative. Real money back then resided in Spain, Italy, Holland and France and thats where the foreign talent first started to flow and reach a high level as well. but as someone who grew up watching Serie-A, i can assure you that soccer now is just different, but this whole idea of being fitter, is just baloney.
You grew up watching Serie A in the 80s and think players being fitter today is just baloney? Yet in interviews with players from that era, most of them admit they were not as fit as the player today. Players today run more, play more games on average and have longer careers on average. Your assertion that they used to sprint more back in the day is baloney, I would like to see some actual evidence of this. Nostalgia seems to be affecting your objectivity. Here is an interview with Argentinian international Ossie Ardiles where he talks about how superior the athletes of today are compared to his era, how back then players didnt know the importance of rest and recovery, had poor diet habits, drinking etc. http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/05/17/soccer-legend-ossie-ardiles-eat-better-play-better

You grew up watching Serie A in the 80s and think players being fitter today is just baloney? Yet in interviews with players from that era, most of them admit they were not as fit as the player today. Players today run more, play more games on average and have longer careers on average. Your assertion that they used to sprint more back in the day is baloney, I would like to see some actual evidence of this. Nostalgia seems to be affecting your objectivity. Here is an interview with Argentinian international Ossie Ardiles where he talks about how superior the athletes of today are compared to his era, how back then players didnt know the importance of rest and recovery, had poor diet habits, drinking etc. http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/05/17/soccer-legend-ossie-ardiles-eat-better-play-better
I've said that players play way more games today and have longer careers. If that is what you mean by being fitter, then yes, i've already mentioned that. If by fitness you mean how fast they are running and how much, then no, i disagree, there is no difference between the 80s/90s and now. just a different style. modern sports medicine & exercise routines have made the players careers last longer but it hasnt made then faster runners or better endurance runners.

True. And how majestic was Socrates! That 82 brazil side was a thing of beauty
And the unluckiest. I dont use the word lightly but iirc they recorded 5 posts to lose an elim match in 82...thats just the worst thing ever in soccer Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

Messi is already the best player ever in my view. Compare his club record with Maradona etc' date=' its shockingly superior. Pele never actually played in Europe with top pros.[/quote'] south american leagues were very competitive in that era

Based on 442 1 Banks (eng) 2 C Alberto (brz) 3 Breitner (ger) 4 Baresi (ita) 5 Beckenbauer (ger) 6 Matthaus (ger) 7 Garrincha (brz) 8 Messi (arg) 9 Maradona (arg) 10 Pele (brz) 11 Romario (brz) subs Yashin (rus) Passeralla (arg) Maldini (ita) Di Stefano (Arg) Gerson (Brz) Cryuff (holland) Platini (fr) Rivaldo (brz) Ronaldo (brz)
Made my bench. RIP