Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

24 minutes ago, speedracer said:

Agreed. Shaheen is still only good for one spell unfortunately. 

I think with those 2 fully fit they can compete somewhat in SA, maybe England to an extent. Won't work in aus or nz. They should be competitive in Asia. India will beat them badly in Asia and most places and there is. O doubt about that but woth those 2 bowlers operating at optimal levels, I can see them beat nz, SA at home. Aus will be a tough one. England seems to have their number off late.

Unless they start preparing better pitches at home & have Test class spinners they will struggle vs ENA.  South Africa is **** in Subcontinent & may even lose to BD. 

Australia looks leagues above them doesn't matter home or away.  Shaheen no shaheen won't matter to them. 

Pak are touring SA after India is touring SA.  I guess if India wins the test series...  SA will come very hard at Poyzz.   If it's opposite then Pak may fluke a test win courtesy a magical spell by Shaheen as his height & swing is Tailor made for SA conditions.  SA batting is crap too. 

57 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Unless they start preparing better pitches at home & have Test class spinners they will struggle vs ENA.  South Africa is **** in Subcontinent & may even lose to BD. 

Australia looks leagues above them doesn't matter home or away.  Shaheen no shaheen won't matter to them. 

Pak are touring SA after India is touring SA.  I guess if India wins the test series...  SA will come very hard at Poyzz.   If it's opposite then Pak may fluke a test win courtesy a magical spell by Shaheen as his height & swing is Tailor made for SA conditions.  SA batting is crap too. 

I remember srinath sreesanth all had good records in SA. They did very well there but failed badly in aus, nz and even England.

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Naseem Shah bowling really well with the old ball.

Reversing the ball both ways at 137 k to 142 k and bowling in good areas. 

Picks up 2 wickets.

He is ideal for bowling in tests in Asia ... round arm action and very skiddy. 

he is short. with his lack of bounce, marnus and co would thrash him in Aus. looking forward to seeing it happen soon.

14 hours ago, speedracer said:

I remember srinath sreesanth all had good records in SA. They did very well there but failed badly in aus, nz and even England.

Srinath did well in almost all countries. Considering the near 0 support he got from his bowling partners, his performances were exceptional. Btw, if I am remember correctly, Srinath should be the top Asian bowler in terms of performance in SA. 

58 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Srinath did well in almost all countries. Considering the near 0 support he got from his bowling partners, his performances were exceptional. Btw, if I am remember correctly, Srinath should be the top Asian bowler in terms of performance in SA. 

Yes that's true. I believe it's shami or probably bumrah tbh. Both average under 24 there if I recall correctly.

13 hours ago, Vijy said:

srinath was deadly in SA. lacked support and had tons of dropped catches. could have been even more potent.

Imagine srinath alongside bumrah and shami. Wreak havoc everywhere. Dropped catches. Fkn trash captain. Bad field placings. No support from other side. Venky prasad had a bit of steep bounce but he bowled gentle medium pace of 120-128 lol

Mcgrath was atleast 125-135 and got more bounce and far more accurate. 

If we are trying to emulate mcgrath then atleast play bowlers who actually have natural steep bounce.

40 minutes ago, speedracer said:

Imagine srinath alongside bumrah and shami. Wreak havoc everywhere. Dropped catches. Fkn trash captain. Bad field placings. No support from other side. Venky prasad had a bit of steep bounce but he bowled gentle medium pace of 120-128 lol

If we are trying to emulate mcgrath then atleast play bowlers who actually have natural steep bounce.

Mcgrath was low 130s even when he was around 35. when he was arrived on the scene and even up to mid-career, he was in high 130s.

1 hour ago, speedracer said:

McGrath was 130-140 in his younger days, even 140+ as well.
In 2007 WC when he was 37 years old he was bowling 128-135.

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Naseem Shah bowling slower today.  Everything I saw in this spell was 134 to 138 k.

And tailenders hitting him with less swing available.

His short balls have been innocuous.

He is a pacer who depends a lot on swing. 

This has been the trends with Pak bowling attack, they do not carry same pace as they have in T20Is.

Shaheen also bowls mostly sub-140s in test, Ali bowls below 135s most of the times

2 minutes ago, tapandrun said:

This has been the trends with Pak bowling attack, they do not carry same pace as they have in T20Is.

Shaheen also bowls mostly sub-140s in test, Ali bowls below 135s most of the times

Yes, the Pakistan test match pace attack is basically medium pace and fast-medium.  And without much bounce. Accuracy isn't that great either.

58 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Mcgrath was low 130s even when he was around 35. when he was arrived on the scene and even up to mid-career, he was in high 130s.

When I watched him from 2000 onwards he was always around 128-138 Max. Average speed probably 133 I would say even at his peak. He was never ever fast. Not even fast medium

Prasad was gentle slow

Average speed 126 lol. 

3 hours ago, speedracer said:

When I watched him from 2000 onwards he was always around 128-138 Max. Average speed probably 133 I would say even at his peak. He was never ever fast. Not even fast medium

Prasad was gentle slow

Average speed 126 lol. 

McGrath did bowl upto 142 k in the 1999 WC and averaged around 138 k.

Moreover, the zip and bounce he got off the deck made him Fast-medium irrespective of exact release speeds.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

McGrath did bowl upto 142 k in the 1999 WC and averaged around 138 k.

Moreover, the zip and bounce he got off the deck made him Fast-medium irrespective of exact release speeds.

That's odi though. In tests he was  considerably slower every time I watched. 

If he averaged 138 in odi in his peak at the WC then his average for tests would be a little bit slower for sure. 134 is what I have seen him bowl on average from 2000 onwards in tests.

2 minutes ago, speedracer said:

That's odi though. In tests he was  considerably slower every time I watched. 

If he averaged 138 in odi in his peak at the WC then his average for tests would be a little bit slower for sure. 134 is what I have seen him bowl on average from 2000 onwards in tests.

You are right.

But one thing is becoming pretty clear.  High release speeds of 140 k+ is more relevant for the skiddy pacers and floaty pacers. 

The Tall, hit the deck bounce bowlers can hurry batters even at 130 k to 140 k, provided they get good zip and bounce off the deck and can make the ball fly through to the keeper.

Someone like a Prasidh Krishna, a tall bounce bowler, can bowl 140 to 150 k in T20s but is usually 132 to 142 k/ 145 k in ODIs.  But he stills looks quick when he is 135 k+.

3 hours ago, speedracer said:

Average speed of mcgrath I am damn sure at his peak was 133 in tests. He was never a fast medium bowler. 

Don't recall tests, but in ODI's he was defo in 132-141 upto 2003 WC. There is an youtube clip just after the fixing scandal where he was bowling 88 mph (~142 kph) to Sachin.
He slowed down after that, in 2005 Ashes was bowling 130-134, and in 2007 WC he was 128-135.

McGrath's used the advantage of height to fullest, Pollock was also super accurate like him but he didn't had the pace and height of McGrath, hence Pollock struggled to pick wickets after 2003 when he slowed down considerably.
Same issue was with Venkatesh Prasad...he was tall but operated in 120-128 range, Srinath was comparatively shorter but rapid.