Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

11 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Don't recall tests, but in ODI's he was defo in 132-141 upto 2003 WC. There is an youtube clip just after the fixing scandal where he was bowling 88 mph (~142 kph) to Sachin.
He slowed down after that, in 2005 Ashes was bowling 130-134, and in 2007 WC he was 128-135.

McGrath's used the advantage of height to fullest, Pollock was also super accurate like him but he didn't had the pace and height of McGrath, hence Pollock struggled to pick wickets after 2003 when he slowed down considerably.
Same issue was with Venkatesh Prasad...he was tall but operated in 120-128 range, Srinath was comparatively shorter but rapid.

Srinath is tall my man. 6'3. Only 2 inches shorter than mcg and sane height as venky prasad. Actually srinath may be 6'4 even. 

Edited by speedracer
13 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Whats your take on Arshdeep? I know he is not the perfect bowler yet and is condition dependent but I feel he can be a handful if he works on his skills. White ball basics are all there.

Arshdeep is a good t20 bowler but needs to work on getting stronger and get his pace up to be considered for odi's. He looks good with the new ball when its swinging but toothless with older ball. He came into limelight because of his temperament and ability to bowl accurate yorkers in IPL but strangely his yorkers went missing in t20 wc. Needs to get back to bowling those yorkers again. Like you said he has the basics to be a good white ball bowler just needs to up his pace so that he can be potent in the middle overs too.

Edited by Mosher
1 minute ago, Mosher said:

Arshdeep is a good t20 bowler but needs to work on getting stronger and get his pace up to be considered for odi's. He looks good with the new ball when its swinging but toothless older ball. He came into limelight because of his temperament and ability to bowl accurate yorkers in IPL but strangely his yorkers went missing in t20 wc. Needs to get back to bowling those yorkers again. Like you said he has the basics to be a good white ball bowler just needs to up his pace so that he can be potent in the middle overs too.

Very well put bro !

And he needs to hit the deck harder with his length balls. 

12 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Arshdeep is a good t20 bowler but needs to work on getting stronger and get his pace up to be considered for odi's. He looks good with the new ball when its swinging but toothless with older ball. He came into limelight because of his temperament and ability to bowl accurate yorkers in IPL but strangely his yorkers went missing in t20 wc. Needs to get back to bowling those yorkers again. Like you said he has the basics to be a good white ball bowler just needs to up his pace so that he can be potent in the middle overs too.

The yorker thing is slightly surprising as he was getting them right until recently. Wonder what sort of coaching these guys get when with the national team.

1 minute ago, Forward Defence said:

The yorker thing is slightly surprising as he was getting them right until recently. Wonder what sort of coaching these guys get when with the national team.

the type of coaching where you forget what you learnt. in my time, most of us didn't go to coaching centers even when prepping for IIT. Now, I see some of the current generation and they have made it to some IITs without even properly knowing stuff like factorials, etc.

same seems to apply to cricket "coaching" these days

2 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

Arshdeep's inswing to the lefty is too big , swings from the hand, becomes easy to pick.

Needs to reduce the angle of the seam and look to hit the deck and nip it back into the lefty or across the right hander.More than big movement he should look for late movement.

But he can get swing both ways without giving away any clues. That is a rare quality. He needs polish and should be persisted with.

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

the type of coaching where you forget what you learnt. in my time, most of us didn't go to coaching centers even when prepping for IIT. Now, I see some of the current generation and they have made it to some IITs without even properly knowing stuff like factorials, etc.

same seems to apply to cricket "coaching" these days

Hah. Did you go to IIT? 2 of my cousins went to IIT. One is a real hard worker. Studies for 6 7 hours everyday. Takes drugs to focus etc. The other one had IIT jee coaching since he was in grade 9. He was well prepped. Loaded family. 

Smashed the entrance exam. Creates a bit of one dimsionality but I respect the amount of work these guys had to put in for those entrance exams. 

33 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

But he can get swing both ways without giving away any clues. That is a rare quality. He needs polish and should be persisted with.

34 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Yes,the semi opens can do that without giving much ,only if the batsmen watch till the time they land their front foot

Just a minor change most make ,much difficult to spot that