Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

5 hours ago, Jay said:

What an over by booms. England deserve it. I don't care. I love the duel. 

When these uncouth barbarians from Australia like hazelwood and Cummins unleashed bouncer barrage against ahswin, saini and shami, all of you were silent. Why cry and moan now? 

Just one question. Why dint booms try this vs root or moeen lol. Both suck vs yorkers and bouncers. Was pitch too sluggish at the time?

Intimidatory quick bowling used to be one of the biggest weapons for winning test matches right till 2010 or thereabouts.

After lucrative T20 leagues became the mainstay, no one wants to bowl flat out as they want to stay fit to play those leagues.

I want Bumrah, Siraj and Shami to each bowl atleast one hostile spell per day in test matches. And target it at top batsmen like Joe Root too. 

Just one such spell per day per pacer means they will not be too tired and there will still be 3 such spells per day.

Need to rough up Root. Just line and length stuff won't disturb him. He is the only thing that stands between us and the test series win.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Intimidatory quick bowling used to be one of the biggest weapons for winning test matches right till 2010 or thereabouts.

After lucrative T20 leagues became the mainstay, no one wants to bowl flat out as they want to stay fit to play those leagues.

I want Bumrah, Siraj and Shami to each bowl atleast one hostile spell per day in test matches. And target it at top batsmen like Joe Root too. 

Just one such spell per day per pacer means they will not be too tired and there will still be 3 such spells per day.

Need to rough up Root. Just line and length stuff won't disturb him. He is the only thing that stands between us and the test series win.

Exactly. I would 100% hurt batsmen if I can bowl like booms. I would enjoy it. You need a to have that mentality to go for the kill. Siraj and booms have it. Even shami has it. But they choose to not intimidate tail enders. 

Honestly not even root, I don't mind them hurting their bowlers and rendering them useless. 

3 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

One great over to Anderson doesn't absolve his lack of wickets on a flattish wicket

This is what I wrote about earlier in this thread.

In 2018, 2019 and 2020, if the ball was not moving then Bumrah used to hit the deck hard at 140 k to 148 k/150 k and tried to be the enforcer pacer. Tried to prise out wickets with hostile bouncers, rising short balls, quick yorkers and even the odd slower ball.

Till now, in the 5 tests that he has played in 2021 after the Australian series,  Bumrah is just trying to depend on moving the ball to get wickets. ( Except that over to Anderson )  No movement means no wickets. 

He is thinking like a medium pacer despite having the ability to bowl his quicker deliveries at 90 mph+.

Seeing something similar with Shami in the last 2 tests too. 

Hope this changes after the Anderson over.  

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

This is what I wrote about earlier in this thread.

In 2018, 2019 and 2020, if the ball was not moving then Bumrah used to hit the deck hard at 140 k to 148 k/150 k and tried to be the enforcer pacer. Tried to prise out wickets with hostile bouncers, rising short balls, quick yorkers and even the odd slower ball.

Till now, in the 5 tests that he has played in 2021 after the Australian series,  Bumrah is just trying to depend on moving the ball to get wickets. ( Except that over to Anderson )  No movement means no wickets. 

He is thinking like a medium pacer despite having the ability to bowl his quicker deliveries at 90 mph+.

Seeing something similar with Shami in the last 2 tests too. 

Hope this changes after the Anderson over.  

ipl in a month may be the reason

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Wood gets Rahul caught behind with a 150 k ball that bounces a bit more and moved away a bit.

Extra pace is surely helpful on flat tracks.

if it can get Rahul,it can get Root too.

Only Siraj was hostile yesterday apart from Bumrah to Anderson

Need to target Root in 2nd innings with pace

Just now, R!TTER said:

Pretty sure on avg, across tests, Rabada/Starc/Cummins can match

Rabada usually bowls 130 k to 145 k in tests.

Cummins usually bowls 135 k to 145 k in tests.

The % of deliveries over 145 k of these 2 is really low in 5 day cricket. 

Starc used to be Wood's pace but don't see him cross 150 k that often these days.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

150 k that often these days.

They also bowl in hotter conditions, much hotter in Oz. An apples to apples comparison would be later in the year when Wood plays in the Ashes. Outside of Eng I've usually found SA & Aussie quicks to be consistently faster than Eng counterparts. Not always but mostly, especially in the last 30 odd years.

53 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

They also bowl in hotter conditions, much hotter in Oz. An apples to apples comparison would be later in the year when Wood plays in the Ashes. Outside of Eng I've usually found SA & Aussie quicks to be consistently faster than Eng counterparts. Not always but mostly, especially in the last 30 odd years.

The bolded part is true.  Apart from Harmison and for a few years Flintoff, England did not have a single quick bowler between 1983 and Wood's emergence.

It is also true that Wood is rested a lot. If he had Cummins' or Bumrah's workload, he would be bowling 5 kph slower.

But as it stands, Cummins and Rabada don't really crank it up beyond 90 mph on a day to day basis in test matches, probably to increase their longevity. We may see the odd really quick spell on an inspired day.