Who is the Greatest Sportsman of All Time?

bones

Why aren't Dhyan Chand/Balbir Singh SRT level? Even Hockey has a greater global presence than cricket and Sachin isn't even the undisputed greatest cricketer but even Aussie, German,Dutch pundits regard Dhyan Chand as the greatest field hockey player.

Why aren't Dhyan Chand/Balbir Singh SRT level? Even Hockey has a greater global presence than cricket and Sachin isn't even the undisputed greatest cricketer but even Aussie' date=' German,Dutch pundits regard Dhyan Chand as the greatest field hockey player.[/quote'] It's just how I see it look at my top 10 in posts above, not many past athletes there. Sugar Ray Robinson greatest ever in boxing, Bradman Cricket, Chand in Hockey...way I see it the older you are, the lesser people have seen of you the greater the stories the greater the legend. Just because we have seen SRT play, and make ducks and seem human not legend doesn't mean he cannot be the greatest. I bet if limited footage of him existed, not many cricket fans had seen him play he would be talked up as some invincible batsman who never got out by those who had seen him. Probably they would have forgotten the struggles, imperfections, tennis elbow years. Stories like he made 147 against Steyn, a bowler no other batsman could get close to touching would have been the focus. Then people would have thought wow, this guy was something out of this world, people who have heard stories but not seen much of him, especially his struggles. Just because we have seen imperfections of modern athlete's live does not mean they cannot be the greatest.

Global recognition should NOT be a factor in this - it's not a sportsperson's fault that his/her sport is not global.
But more global the sport, more the competition, right? Cricket isn't played seriously in USA, China, Russia, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, France,Cuba etc and these countries are in general much much better in sports than desis !!! There is a reason Federer is rated higher than Lin Dan because tennis is much more global than badminton. Similarly Jehangir Khan may be great but admit it, very few outside Pakistan would have even heard of squash, much less him.

Why aren't Dhyan Chand/Balbir Singh SRT level? Even Hockey has a greater global presence than cricket and Sachin isn't even the undisputed greatest cricketer but even Aussie' date=' German,Dutch pundits regard Dhyan Chand as the greatest field hockey player.[/quote'] Forget the academy and school team, Which country seriously plays Hockey or got a league of it or stadiums where 50K + crowd gathers to watch it. Even India Pakistan rivalry doesnt brings crowd to a hockey game

Global recognition should NOT be a factor in this - it's not a sportsperson's fault that his/her sport is not global.
Its not about fault, its about ability to influence and inspire. Global presence is not required, mass appeal is. Soccer has the most fans worldwide, followed by cricket and badminton. Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

Nice thread. Taking into account the type of sport and the dominance of the sportsperson, I would say its usain bolt hands down.
Yes. No doubt. short distance race is one sport in which is most natural to any human being. This is one activity which every single human being would have done at some point of time. Dominating that sport, in which every single human being participated, for so long with such margin is incredible. Look at following video from last year to see how he almost humiliates his competitors. He was behind when he got baton in the relay and see how he simply flew away from rest of the group. q4FN5aWnz8M And add that to the fact while every single 100 m champ from recent years have had some dope taint like Gay, Gatlin, Greene, Lewis, ec, this guy has been absolutely clean. He has kind of restored people faith in sprints.

^ Come to think of it, 4 years of training for a 9 second performance would require so much mental toughness. And he repeated it so many times. The one where he made world record for 100m. He was actually celebrating well before he crossed the finish line (Beijing Olympics-2008). Agree, he should be among greatest sporting icons of all time

Some might say Federer. Others Ali. You could have some Americans argue Phelps or Jordan. I wanted to put Jack Nicklaus out there but then I just read and seen some documentaries on Jehangir Khan. Squash may not be the most popular sport, not as many people play it as Tennis or Golf, so the competition isn't anywhere near as fierce. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahangir_Khan But Jehangir Khan did something I doubt anyone will ever do in any sport or even come close to replicating. 555 wins in a row stretching 6 years in very physically demanding sports. 555!!! FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE MATCH STREAK. It makes Nadal's dominance at RG seem insignificant in comparison. If this guy was American or British, they would be making movies about him. What do you think? Could it be Nicklaus? Federer? Bradman?
:omg: 555 wins in a row :hatsoff: