Wimbledon 2015

bones

What's wrong in that? If he is on a course of overhauling a great record,he might as well express it .
What's wrong in that statement? It is a moronic statement. If he is aiming for any record he should aim for the records of Bryan brothers or Todd Woodbridge from Australia in doubles or Navrarilova's record in mixed doubles. You don't compare two completely different events. It's like comparing a test match record with a one day record. Both of those are cricket records but in two completely different formats.

Precisely. Doubles tennis has it's own place and singles, rightfully a higher place on it's own as well. Test cricket = Singles Tennis, the undisputed single most important versions. ODIs = Doubles, great for entertainment but only as a filler between the main events. I don't think people should slam Paes for choosing doubles. That's like Shaun Tait retiring from tests, realised it was better for him to achieve success in shorter formats. I don't watch any doubles tennis, just as I rarely watch ODIs and T20s. But I understand why others might.

What's wrong in that? If he is on a course of overhauling a great record,he might as well express it . Just give you a example. If during the innings when rohit sharma hit 209, if he would have been asked if he would like to overhaul sachin's 200,he would have said that he would have loved to break such a great man's record. Does that mean that he is trying to say that he is greater that SRT?
Imagine Sania telling she wants to beat Evert's record. Or a Buchi Babu player saying he wants to beat Maggi's 264. Or a district chess champ saying he wants to beat Anand's record of 5 titles. Or an Indian basketball chump saying he wants to beat Jordan's record. There is no comparison mate. Doubles is for failed singles players. It isn't 1 level below singles(like ODI w.r.t test cricket). It is a few dozen levels below singles. Singles players sometimes play doubles for fun, it is a joke for them with so little court coverage and diminishing skill sets required. Navratilova has 40+ doubles majors, but people always associate herself with 18 slams and her rivalry with Evert, Graff etc. I would rather see an Indian player reaching R2/3 in GS consistently than someone winning gazillion doubles majors. I followed Mirza's singles career with keen interest but after she shifted to doubles I have stopped caring about her. That is why Krishnan and Amritraj are much much greater than Paes/Bhupathi/Bopanna etc. If Paes ever gets Bharat Ratna I will lose my marbles.

Imagine Sania telling she wants to beat Evert's record. Or a Buchi Babu player saying he wants to beat Maggi's 264. Or a district chess champ saying he wants to beat Anand's record of 5 titles. Or an Indian basketball chump saying he wants to beat Jordan's record. There is no comparison mate. Doubles is for failed singles players. It isn't 1 level below singles(like ODI w.r.t test cricket). It is a few dozen levels below singles. Singles players sometimes play doubles for fun, it is a joke for them with so little court coverage and diminishing skill sets required. Navratilova has 40+ doubles majors, but people always associate herself with 18 slams and her rivalry with Evert, Graff etc. I would rather see an Indian player reaching R2/3 in GS consistently than someone winning gazillion doubles majors. I followed Mirza's singles career with keen interest but after she shifted to doubles I have stopped caring about her. That is why Krishnan and Amritraj are much much greater than Paes/Bhupathi/Bopanna etc. If Paes ever gets Bharat Ratna I will lose my marbles.
Dude.. sometimes i agree with you :woot: For me Sania's 4th round in US open (in 2007?) was bigger than this Doubles Championship.

Navratilova played doubles and mixed doubles till her mid 40s' date=' Paes in his early 40s. Imagine any one playing in singles at the age of 45. Doubles is like veterans cricket.[/quote'] Absolutely true.