Wimbledon 2015

bones

Nadal fans whom r u supporting tomorrow? I know its awkward.
As a Nadal fan, I honestly have no horse in this race. I have long given up the hope of Nadal chasing down Federer's slam count. I don't think he is up for it any more. I was hopeful until a year ago but he has declined rapidly in the last year or so. I still expect him to win one or max two majors but I don't see him winning 3-4 majors from here. So it hardly matters if Federer has 17 or 18 slams. Nadal has won 14 slams in an era where he first had to battle with peak Federer and then peak Djokovic, not to talk about his constant injuries. When I started supporting Nadal in 2005, I did not expect him to win this many and on all surfaces. I supported him because he was the only guy who was not bending over to Federer even before coming on to the court and he was just a teenager. So it's OK to have 14 slams. He has had a career very few would have. So I don't mind if Federer wins on Sunday on his favorite court. He deserves it after the way he has played so far. I am not too fond of Djokovic or his game in general (in fact I like Federer much better than him) but he is the best player in the world at the moment and he also deserves another multi slam year. So I just hope that we have a long and exciting final. I would enjoy it as a tennis fan.

Must say that was imperious from Federer. Murray had no chance whatsoever. He has played as good as he ever played on Grass. However Djokovic would be a different ball game. He would wear Federer down.
According to Borg this is the best he has seen Federer play in 10 years. Even Roddick and Henman said similar things yesterday. I don't agree with them completely because I think Federer has played better from the baseline before but I am fully convinced he is serving better than he ever has and by some margin. He is also tactically better than he ever has been. If he can keep up his service rhythm, Djokovic won't be able to beat him. The final depends on how well Federer serves. If he is serving like yesterday his whole game gets a complete lift as he can play pressure free. If Djokovic can put him under pressure and make him run in his service games, Djokovic would win it. From what I have seen in this tournament, Federer is the favorite no matter what the bookies say.

As a Nadal fan, I honestly have no horse in this race. I have long given up the hope of Nadal chasing down Federer's slam count. I don't think he is up for it any more. I was hopeful until a year ago but he has declined rapidly in the last year or so. I still expect him to win one or max two majors but I don't see him winning 3-4 majors from here. So it hardly matters if Federer has 17 or 18 slams. Nadal has won 14 slams in an era where he first had to battle with peak Federer and then peak Djokovic, not to talk about his constant injuries. When I started supporting Nadal in 2005, I did not expect him to win this many and on all surfaces. I supported him because he was the only guy who was not bending over to Federer even before coming on to the court and he was just a teenager. So it's OK to have 14 slams. He has had a career very few would have. So I don't mind if Federer wins on Sunday on his favorite court. He deserves it after the way he has played so far. I am not too fond of Djokovic or his game in general (in fact I like Federer much better than him) but he is the best player in the world at the moment and he also deserves another multi slam year. So I just hope that we have a long and exciting final. I would enjoy it as a tennis fan.
:nice:

Brilliant win for Serena Williams. With that she completed her second non calendar year grand slam. She can definitely make a case for being the greatest active player. It will only get stronger if she manages to win the US open and complete the CYGS. Her conversion rate in slam finals is also amazing at 21-4. Muguruza also played a good match but Serena has too much game for everybody.

Good post but why do you think nadal can't reach 17 slams? Whatever tennis I've seen in my life,I'veknown one thing that nadal can't be counted out .he just needs to find his clay rhythm back and he'll win 2-3 more FO s

Good post but why do you think nadal can't reach 17 slams? Whatever tennis I've seen in my life,I'veknown one thing that nadal can't be counted out .he just needs to find his clay rhythm back and he'll win 2-3 more FO s
I think he is not fast enough these days and his whole game has been inconsistent for quite some time. I don't see him winning 3 more slams, may be one more, two at best.

I think he is not fast enough these days and his whole game has been inconsistent for quite some time. I don't see him winning 3 more slams' date=' may be one more, two at best.[/quote'] Unless Nadal re-discovers his zip on his forehand, no amount of speed will help him. He depended on pushing people back and giving them very little time to hit their shots (hurrying them), with stunning amounts of overspin on ANY surface. Now, missing that zing, his loopy shots that produced so much zing now are just loopy and sitting up, for players to step into and really crush it. You can't chase down the full-body whip shots of any top 20 players consistently, you either have to hit a whole lot flatter (Federer) or hit it with tremendous top spin. Nadal is doing neither at the moment. His serve has always been the weakest link in his game and it has again, regressed significantly, particularly on the second serve. He is serving it with zero confidence, usually putting his second serve as a 85mph serve near the middle of the service box . That is going to make it extremely hard for him to win more than 50% of his second serve points against competent opponents. He still has the drive and is savvy enough but IMO, Nadal is done unless he re-invents his technique. He simply does not have the same raw power in his arms anymore to generate that stupendous amount of overspin.

Unless Nadal re-discovers his zip on his forehand, no amount of speed will help him. He depended on pushing people back and giving them very little time to hit their shots (hurrying them), with stunning amounts of overspin on ANY surface. Now, missing that zing, his loopy shots that produced so much zing now are just loopy and sitting up, for players to step into and really crush it. You can't chase down the full-body whip shots of any top 20 players consistently, you either have to hit a whole lot flatter (Federer) or hit it with tremendous top spin. Nadal is doing neither at the moment. His serve has always been the weakest link in his game and it has again, regressed significantly, particularly on the second serve. He is serving it with zero confidence, usually putting his second serve as a 85mph serve near the middle of the service box . That is going to make it extremely hard for him to win more than 50% of his second serve points against competent opponents. He still has the drive and is savvy enough but IMO, Nadal is done unless he re-invents his technique. He simply does not have the same raw power in his arms anymore to generate that stupendous amount of overspin.
I think you got it completely wrong. There is no technical issue with Nadal, nor is he lacking any power. What he is lacking the most is confidence and consistency. There was a statistics that ESPN showed during the French Open about his performance this year. He is not down on spin. In fact he was hitting his FH with more spin this year than last year. What has changed is his level of play on crucial moments. He used to be one of the best in saving BPs and converting BPs but this year he was not even in the top 50. If you watch his matches, he has played brilliantly in patches, but just when you think he is back his level drops considerably. That is an issue of confidence, not technique. His serve is directly related to his confidence. He has never been a great server like Federer but but if you look at the stats he is one of the best in the open era in second serve points won. This year he is consistently serving DFs on BPs. Nadal needs to win a couple of small tournaments to get his confidence back. That is his main issue right now. His game is still much better than what his ranking suggests. Just watch his match against Berdych in Madrid. He was ripping his FHs like before. The next match, it went missing again. On the other hand his speed has decreased considerably. He needs to play more offensive tennis to counter that. He did that in the 2013 US open swing. But right now he does not have the confidence to go for more when he is missing routine shots. BTW you might remember you argued with me how the service deteriorates with age. Your favorite player is proving you wrong. He is serving better than he did at his peak. I know you will talk about speed and accuracy next but his speeds are also as good as ever. I feel vindicated after Federer's performance. Service is one of the last things to go from a player. Goran and Sampras still hit bombs in exhos. Service is the main reason why Federer has been able to play so well.

I think you got it completely wrong. There is no technical issue with Nadal, nor is he lacking any power. What he is lacking the most is confidence and consistency. There was a statistics that ESPN showed during the French Open about his performance this year. He is not down on spin. In fact he was hitting his FH with more spin this year than last year. What has changed is his level of play on crucial moments. He used to be one of the best in saving BPs and converting BPs but this year he was not even in the top 50. If you watch his matches, he has played brilliantly in patches, but just when you think he is back his level drops considerably. That is an issue of confidence, not technique. His serve is directly related to his confidence. He has never been a great server like Federer but but if you look at the stats he is one of the best in the open era in second serve points won. This year he is consistently serving DFs on BPs. Nadal needs to win a couple of small tournaments to get his confidence back. That is his main issue right now. His game is still much better than what his ranking suggests. Just watch his match against Berdych in Madrid. He was ripping his FHs like before. The next match, it went missing again. On the other hand his speed has decreased considerably. He needs to play more offensive tennis to counter that. He did that in the 2013 US open swing. But right now he does not have the confidence to go for more when he is missing routine shots. BTW you might remember you argued with me how the service deteriorates with age. Your favorite player is proving you wrong. He is serving better than he did at his peak. I know you will talk about speed and accuracy next but his speeds are also as good as ever. I feel vindicated after Federer's performance. Service is one of the last things to go from a player. Goran and Sampras still hit bombs in exhos. Service is the main reason why Federer has been able to play so well.
You twisted my arguments as usual to hear what you wanted to hear. I did say that Federer's serve had diminished significantly and until his renaissance from mid last year or so, his serve was nowhere near his top years. Federer's fall from grace was due to his serve deserting him and this was due to his wonky back issues. Anyways, it is completely incorrect to say that his game is still there. It isn't and its obvious to the trained eye. Too many players are stepping into Nadal's shots too frequently and unloading a full blasted shot. He does have the zip on his best shots still and occasionally he does produce deep shots with huge top spin to pin people back and pull them to shreds like in his heydays. But too often he is either lacking the fizz or the depth in his shots and people are unloading on him. This can happen either from slowing down (which he has from his absolute peak but not much) or simply not being strong enough anymore in the shoulders and wrists to generate that amount of power & spin consistently (by reducing the sweet spot zone). Either way, the effect is the same: Nadal's mental game has obviously deteriorated, but it has happened because his physical game is also significantly below his top self and he knows it. He plays like a man who does not trust his forehand anymore and it has gone from being the best clay court forehand/second best forehand (after Federer's) in men's tennis to a distinctly mediocre forehand for a top 15 player. It simply does not have the consistency, range and zing to it anymore, though flashes of the original magic does shine in every now and then. Given how much his second serve has regressed, i don't expect much from him in the main hardcourt season.