US Open 2015

bones

Nadal somehow labooured his way to third round after another pitiful display of drab tennis. I shudder to think what if somehow he manages to reach QF to meet Djoko there. It might end up in a result hugely embarrassing for Nadal.
The way Nadal played against Schwartzman, Fognini has a real shot against him. If Nadal does not improve from yesterday's level then I'd be surprised if he reaches QF. He played much better against Coric though except for that terrible third set. If he can reproduce that he would beat Fognini and Raonic/Lopez. I don't think that's enough to beat Djokovic but at least he would be competitive. Anything less and he'd be taken out before QF and by if he still reaches QF by some miracle, Djokovic would embarrass him badly with a 6-1 6-0 6-2 type score.

Nadal has a really tough game coming today. Fognini is one of those players who keeps his cool most of the time during any situation of the game. He might not have won many games against top 10 players but he is still one of the best outside 10 players who is really good even with his net game. I think he is going to beat Nadal tonight. By the way, great thrilling game between the two Aussies last night. Hewitt played just like he has played all his life, fighting for every point. Great career Hewitt.

Nadal has a really tough game coming today. Fognini is one of those players who keeps his cool most of the time during any situation of the game. He might not have won many games against top 10 players but he is still one of the best outside 10 players who is really good even with his net game. I think he is going to beat Nadal tonight.
Whatever happens, i am glad Fognini lived up to the hupe I created and many others. Brilliant game.

First loss for Nadal at majors after being 2 sets to love up. Really poor from Nadal from set 3. Nadal FH is letting him down big time. Otherwise rest of his game including the serve was ok.
FH was back in the 5th set, he just could not hold serve. None could. This is where Rafa used to be good. May be because he got fatigued. This was his first 5 set game of the year too since Aussie Open and also will end up being his last one.

FH was back in the 5th set' date=' he just could not hold serve. None could. This is where Rafa used to be good. May be because he got fatigued. This was his first 5 set game of the year too since Aussie Open and also will end up being his last one.[/quote'] Naah man, his FH was way off. He used to give it his all while hitting a mid court FH now it is a rally shot at best and even then it is very inconsistent. His BH is actually more reliable than his FH these days. But I have no doubt that overall he is playing better now than he did on clay. Just needs a few more things to work out.

First loss for Nadal at majors after being 2 sets to love up. Really poor from Nadal from set 3. Nadal FH is letting him down big time. Otherwise rest of his game including the serve was ok.
Serve was very good for first two sets. But I don't recall him hitting any first serves in 4-5th set. He had some of his inside out FH going as well for first two sets. However I don't think if he hit any DTL running forehand which used to ride him out of trouble. I think he lost it mentally because of complacency in third set after being ahead by one break. He is not used to that kind of comfortable situations and might have got little overwhelmed. That's what happens when you are out of your winning ways. Just couple of good games in third set and it would have been impeccable and flawless performance from him. However after this i don't think he can be written off yet. He'll definitely be back next year.

Naah man' date=' his FH was way off. He used to give it his all while hitting a mid court FH now it is a rally shot at best and even then it is very inconsistent. His BH is actually more reliable than his FH these days. But I have no doubt that overall he is playing better now than he did on clay. Just needs a few more things to work out.[/quote'] Good for 3 setters but not 5 sets yet. That 2:00 hour game if it goes beyond 2:30, it becomes a whole different thing. He is goong through the same phase which Roger did during 2013. Not the best but good enough to reach quarters or round of 16. With the rise of Wawrinka,nishikori and guys like Cilic, Anderson rising in confidence and lot of other guys, it will be really hard for Rafa to comeback in top four now as those guys will give him hard time everytime he plays them.

Naah man' date=' his FH was way off. He used to give it his all while hitting a mid court FH now it is a rally shot at best and even then it is very inconsistent. His BH is actually more reliable than his FH these days. But I have no doubt that overall he is playing better now than he did on clay. Just needs a few more things to work out.[/quote'] Yes.. absolutely. Loss hurts but he didn't seem to be very far from top level performance. As i said if he has managed to manage intensity for couple of more games in third set, all news headlines would have been screaming about his comeback with a flawless win against a good player Fognini in straight sets. He wasn't far away from those headlines.

Good for 3 setters but not 5 sets yet. That 2:00 hpur game if it goes beyond 2:30, it becomes a whole different thing. He is goong through the same phase which Roger did during 2013. Not the best but good enough to reach quarters or round of 16. With the rise of Wawrinka,nishikori and guys like Cilic, Anderson rising in confidence and lot of other guys, it will be really hard for Rafa to comeback in top four now as those guys will give him hard time everytime he plays them.
Its about getting into winning ways. In Cinci Dolgopolov was all over Djokovic playing even better than what Fog did today. Still Djoko found a way to win it. Rafa has forgotten it. He needs to feel again that 2nd 3rd round wins are routine not an achievement. But crumbs have been so scarce this year that Rafa has no option but to celebrate those.