Big B Movies

zen

Agneepath was good when I watched it as a kid....but now that I have seen Scarface ...it's kind of embarrassing to watch AMitabh's acting in Agneepath.

Amitabh is a powerful performer and one of the best when it comes to dialogue delivery in world cinema infact but his more restrained performances are way better than the over the top ones like in Agneepath and Black.

Watch his role in Hum when he becomes a family man from a violent labour leader-That was probably one of his best underrated performances.

Similarly Sholay,Abhimaan etc when he was toned down.

Haven't watched too many Bollywood films lately .... recall watching Kala Patthar, which has some cool Shatru-AB interactions .... also feel like catching up on some of the below:

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

If we can include recent movies I'd add Piku too.

Yeah it is a good movie. So is PINK. On the "age well" metric its too soon to say how people 40 years in the future would feel about these.

Out of curiosity, why did you include Khakee in that list? Very formulaic and a bad attempt at a noir.

And it had Tushaar Kapoor. :mad: 

PS: I would include Abhimaan too.

Edited by Mariyam

If they were to upgrade one of these (besides Sholay) to 4K HDR/DV (and possibly re-edit), which one would it be? :hmmmm2:  .... Usually, big action films benefit better from HDR with those big explosions .... and if the video is upgraded, the audio (soundtrack) is likely to be upgraded too 

Edited by zen

23 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

not even Big B can beat Govinda when it comes to comic timing. Govinda overshadowed him by a mile in that movie. 

AB at a low after 20 years Of being reigning #1 , Govinda under his fav director being super confident has overshadowed, B at his peak was much versatile than G at his peak.  G is mostly slapstick. He couldn’t have given a perf like this scene..

j

2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Yeah it is a good movie. So is PINK. On the "age well" metric its too soon to say how people 40 years in the future would feel about these.

Out of curiosity, why did you include Khakee in that list? Very formulaic and a bad attempt at a noir.

And it had Tushaar Kapoor. :mad: 

Khakee is the last great masala movie from BW. Big B's character can be considered an older version of his cop from Zanjeer. It's also my favourite performance of his from his 2nd innings post KBC.  

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Worst movie of Big B, worse than GJS or Toofan or Ajooba, Imo

Toofan and Ajooba are highly entertaining movies. 

And they always play on TV for some strange reason. 

The real blah stuff Big B acted in was around the time his company went bust.

Lal Badshah

A movie with the eternally in your face angry Nana Patekar. Can't recollect the name. But Nana Patekar has a really funny dance number with Tabu and both are wearing beanies.

Major Saab

A little later in his career

RGV ki Aag ( don't know why Big B agreed to do this)

Buddha Hoga Tera Baap

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Worst movie of Big B, worse than GJS or Toofan or Ajooba, Imo

:lol: ....  Haven't seen it recently but I like it as is the case with most Big B films with me ....  this one has quite a few memorable sequences 

36 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

AB at a low after 20 years Of being reigning #1 , Govinda under his fav director being super confident has overshadowed, B at his peak was much versatile than G at his peak.  G is mostly slapstick. He couldn’t have given a perf like this scene..

j

Govinda was limited to slapstick but that was due to him being typecasted as a comedian. He did try various other genres but public preferred seeing him in comic roles and that worked for him. Similarly, Big B also followed a similar pattern during his reign where most of his movies portrayed him as the Angry Young Man. It worked for him. The only reason I hold Govinda to be better is comedy is a much tougher genre to excel in. Also, nobody could come close to Govinda as a dancer. He was a complete entertainer, whereas Big B's dancing left a lot to be desired.

Edited by FischerTal