The BSE/NSE Trading Thread

G_B_

16 hours ago, jusarrived said:

@velu 

Will shorting ITM and buying OTM work for expiry ? It’s called iron condor butterfly I think . 

It will surely work with no leverage trades .. rarely Index moves beyond 100/200 points on expiry 

today as all BN was all over from 19000 to 19400 .. closed at 19150 kind

i mostly do ratio spread ... sell otm and hedge it with ATM or slightly OTM

2 hours ago, velu said:

It will surely work with no leverage trades .. rarely Index moves beyond 100/200 points on expiry 

today as all BN was all over from 19000 to 19400 .. closed at 19150 kind

i mostly do ratio spread ... sell otm and hedge it with ATM or slightly OTM

Yeah but if the movement is less , wouldn’t shorting ITM/ATM make you money ?  I actually meant ATM

say short 9200 PE/CE

go long on 18900 PE and 19500 CE. 

Past few weeks I have been writing options without any hedge , it works well .. except that it’s very stressful, need to monitor closely . Just want to improvise with a proper hedge , which limits my risks instead of having a SL 

21 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Yeah but if the movement is less , wouldn’t shorting ITM/ATM make you money ?  I actually meant ATM

say short 9200 PE/CE

go long on 18900 PE and 19500 CE. 

Past few weeks I have been writing options without any hedge , it works well .. except that it’s very stressful, need to monitor closely . Just want to improvise with a proper hedge , which limits my risks instead of having a SL 

what you meant is tight iron condor or iron butterfly .. 

this is work if we are not using leverage ..

will backfire if we start using leverage ..

also blind shorts will kill us .. if we know what we are at the end of the range then better todo directional ie say BN is trading at 19100 and 19k has got huge buildup , then better to sell put only 

3 hours ago, velu said:

what you meant is tight iron condor or iron butterfly .. 

this is work if we are not using leverage ..

will backfire if we start using leverage ..

also blind shorts will kill us .. if we know what we are at the end of the range then better todo directional ie say BN is trading at 19100 and 19k has got huge buildup , then better to sell put only 

I dint get the point about leverage ? I still use Zerodha . It’s same margin , if anything it costs more these days . 

45 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

I dint get the point about leverage ? I still use Zerodha . It’s same margin , if anything it costs more these days . 

50pt loss is half the capital gone if we use 20x leverage 

29 minutes ago, velu said:

50pt loss is half the capital gone if we use 20x leverage 

Oh yeah . I don’t use more more than 30% of my capital , most days it’s around 15-20%  .One thing I have realised is less you leverage you panic less and take better decisions. I don’t keep a strict SL either , which is not advisable but it has worked for me much better than keeping  a SL and play with half the money am comfortable losing . Though I wind up for the day if I hit 2% losses overall . 

10 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Oh yeah . I don’t use more more than 30% of my capital , most days it’s around 15-20%  .One thing I have realised is less you leverage you panic less and take better decisions. I don’t keep a strict SL either , which is not advisable but it has worked for me much better than keeping  a SL and play with half the money am comfortable losing . Though I wind up for the day if I hit 2% losses overall . 

At present condition intraday is better or long term for 3-5 years for fundamentally good shares? and what about pharma companies recent jump do you think it's gonna sustain in long term.

3 hours ago, raki05 said:

At present condition intraday is better or long term for 3-5 years for fundamentally good shares? and what about pharma companies recent jump do you think it's gonna sustain in long term.

Two very different things . you can do both , but need  completely different approaches .

whats risky these days is positional trades , as its tough to say where the market will go next day . I have carried forward very few positions in last 2-3 months . Personally I have had a great 2-3 months  even though am net negative , intraday I had 5-6 big days so was able to cover for big dip in stocks  and even my portfolio which was looking bad has mostly recovered . instead of adding stocks when market crashed I accumulated nifty and Nasdaq ETFs . The Nasdaq one , N100 gave given me 30% returns in 2 months .

ETFs + good portfolio of stocks will definitely give you returns , it may happen in 3 years or 8 thats tough to tell . Intra day you can make that money in few months , but it takes a while to get a hang of it . it took me a few years to start making money and figure out the type of trading that suits me . 

On Pharma , never liked the sector in the past ..but I think there is opportunity there .   .The sector has been trading at a big discount for more than a decade , thats changed in past 2 months ..but even now they are not expensive . I think once everything settles down , Pharma will see another valuation reset .Generally there should be increased spending on healthcare and if the API manufacturing scene takes off ,also may be if FDA stops scrutinizing Indian companies like they have in past 12-18 months things could change for good very quickly for these companies ..even if it dosent pan out exactly like this , market is all about expectations ..which should be enough for these stocks to run up next few years .  

12 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Two very different things . you can do both , but need  completely different approaches .

whats risky these days is positional trades , as its tough to say where the market will go next day . I have carried forward very few positions in last 2-3 months . Personally I have had a great 2-3 months  even though am net negative , intraday I had 5-6 big days so was able to cover for big dip in stocks  and even my portfolio which was looking bad has mostly recovered . instead of adding stocks when market crashed I accumulated nifty and Nasdaq ETFs . The Nasdaq one , N100 gave given me 30% returns in 2 months .

ETFs + good portfolio of stocks will definitely give you returns , it may happen in 3 years or 8 thats tough to tell . Intra day you can make that money in few months , but it takes a while to get a hang of it . it took me a few years to start making money and figure out the type of trading that suits me . 

On Pharma , never liked the sector in the past ..but I think there is opportunity there .   .The sector has been trading at a big discount for more than a decade , thats changed in past 2 months ..but even now they are not expensive . I think once everything settles down , Pharma will see another valuation reset .Generally there should be increased spending on healthcare and if the API manufacturing scene takes off ,also may be if FDA stops scrutinizing Indian companies like they have in past 12-18 months things could change for good very quickly for these companies ..even if it dosent pan out exactly like this , market is all about expectations ..which should be enough for these stocks to run up next few years .  

Cool, you looks to be an experience trader. I am just a beginner trying my luck in this crash ,however I have not opted for intraday and only bought nifty50 fundamentally good shares which did well in last 10-20 years , I know return won't be that good but don't wanna take risk initially . I am not sure if  staying in India, I can still trade in Nasdaq or not? But thanks for the advise would look forward to invest in good pharma and fmcg.

Edited by raki05

On 5/29/2020 at 6:03 PM, raki05 said:

Cool, you looks to be an experience trader. I am just a beginner trying my luck in this crash ,however I have not opted for intraday and only bought nifty50 fundamentally good shares which did well in last 10-20 years , I know return won't be that good but don't wanna take risk initially . I am not sure if  staying in India, I can still trade in Nasdaq or not? But thanks for the advise would look forward to invest in good pharma and fmcg.

Well I have been around for a while , luckily for me my dad has been investor from mid 70s  and I grew up talking about the market pretty much every day , but experience is irrelevant , if you have the interest and have basic understanding its not difficult to build a good portfolio .  you need a portfolio of 15-20 good stocks , re visit every 1-2 years ..get rid of under performers and  add on dip or hold on to profitable ones . 

Some brokers do allow buying stocks in Nasdaq , I think motilal does ..even Zerodha I heard will start soon , but I believe the brokerages are very high ..what  I was talking about is ETFs , basically traded funds which invest in US markets for you . This you can buy through any broker .

1 hour ago, jusarrived said:

Well I have been around for a while , luckily for me my dad has been investor from mid 70s  and I grew up talking about the market pretty much every day , but experience is irrelevant , if you have the interest and have basic understanding its not difficult to build a good portfolio .  you need a portfolio of 15-20 good stocks , re visit every 1-2 years ..get rid of under performers and  add on dip or hold on to profitable ones . 

Some brokers do allow buying stocks in Nasdaq , I think motilal does ..even Zerodha I heard will start soon , but I believe the brokerages are very high ..what  I was talking about is ETFs , basically traded funds which invest in US markets for you . This you can buy through any broker .

Thanx bro, ll try.:wp106:

On 5/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, raki05 said:

Anyone bought Alok Industries stocks, is it worth buying?

Well,I checked  it but it does not fits my portfolio or approach. I don't touch shares with low CMP - have only one low CMP stock in my portfolio. Do not intend to get another such stock. One jackpot  or risky stock is enough for me.

Market cap too low.

CMP too low.

Almost all promoter shares are pledged.

Look at ratios...Too bad.

Seems like Ops are behind this one as well.

Remember Shahid Kapoors song, "When you getting gold, why go for tamba".

Edited by Straight Drive

40 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Well,I checked  it but it does not fits my portfolio or approach. I don't touch shares with low CMP - have only one low CMP stock in my portfolio. Do not intend to get another such stock. One jackpot  or risky stock is enough for me.

Market cap too low.

CMP too low.

Almost all promoter shares are pledged.

Look at ratios...Too bad.

Seems like Ops are behind this one as well.

Remember Shahid Kapoors song, "When you getting gold, why go for tamba".

That's right,.Just got curious  after reliance investment and buying 33% of stocks  that can it be another Ruchi Soya? Chances looks bleak though.

29 minutes ago, raki05 said:

That's right,.Just got curious  after reliance investment and buying 33% of stocks  that can it be another Ruchi Soya? Chances looks bleak though.

I entered Ruchi Soya at around 6 rs. It was when the case was with NCLT and there were legal battles between Adani group and Patanjali over allocation.That was the only strategic low CMP stock that I had in my portfilio.Sold all off it once it gave handsome returns. But it's 850 rs now. No regrets as I struck a jackpot there. Now I am hoping for another jackpot stock with which I replaced Ruchi Soya.

Haven't done detailed research about Alok Industries so unable to comment in depth than what I posted in previous post.

Edited by Straight Drive

1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

I entered Ruchi Soya at around 6 rs. It was when the case was with NCLT and there were legal battles between Adani group and Patanjali over allocation.That was the only strategic low CMP stock that I had in my portfilio.Sold all off it once it gave handsome returns. But it's 850 rs now. No regrets as I struck a jackpot there. Now I am hoping for another jackpot stock with which I replaced Ruchi Soya.

Haven't done detailed research about Alok Industries so unable to comment in depth than what I posted in previous post.

Awesome....you have already hit a jackpot then...:two_thumbs_up: