Will we win a single medal this time ?

sourab10forever

20 hours ago, Nova said:

Yeah ok. Don't belittle the hard work of participants.

There's more to Olympics than winning medals. 

That was an incomplete post. I meant stop participating for a few years and work on preparing athletes who can win you a few medals and rather than participating in  a lot of events, just prepare for some specific ones. 

Lol at people here being critical of Indian athletes who struggle to make ends meet and train hard for shot at once in lifetime chance of glory with world & India watching but fail to win. Be proud these guys are competing at a prime event despite the disadvantages and poverty of infra and lack of technical support.

Do you guys even know how much UK and Australian governments invest in sports every year? Humangous.

Nearly every school in US has minimum 25m swimming pool and a green field.

China has setup factories to manufacture gold medalists.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

That was an incomplete post. I meant stop participating for a few years and work on preparing athletes who can win you a few medals and rather than participating in  a lot of events, just prepare for some specific ones. 

I agree that administration should focus on improving funding, infrastructure, etc. The current state is such that if we stop participating, India will just forget about the Olympics. Better to be a regular part of the system to improve and soak the pressure. As much as everyone is craving for medals, don't forget that participation is equally important. It's about the struggle and that you have fought well and given your everything. It would be a great disservice to individual athletes who have taken up different sports dreaming of being part of the Olympics and tell them that they cannot participate until they can bring home medals. Why stop anyone who has qualified for their event? I can't imagine how it must feel to compete at this level.

Such a jinxed campaign. 

Shooting and Archery were colossal disappointments. 

Hockey never had any hope to begin with.

Saina got injured 10 day before the start. 

Shiva Thapa got first ranker in first round itself. 

Hope after this debacle there are some changes in sports structure. 

7 hours ago, chewy said:

Lol at people here being critical of Indian athletes who struggle to make ends meet and train hard for shot at once in lifetime chance of glory with world & India watching but fail to win. Be proud these guys are competing at a prime event despite the disadvantages and poverty of infra and lack of technical support.

Do you guys even know how much UK and Australian governments invest in sports every year? Humangous.

Nearly every school in US has minimum 25m swimming pool and a green field.

China has setup factories to manufacture gold medalists.

Don't think anybody is criticising the athletes.. most of us are just feeling sad that's it.

1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

I hope sack all the top officials at the IOC after this fiasco.Pretty sure most have been leeching in their positions for 15-20 years .

No point t=blaming the athletics 

The question is,will they ever take moral responsibility and offer to resign. If I were one, I would have stepped down by now.

17 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I hope sack all the top officials at the IOC after this fiasco.Pretty sure most have been leeching in their positions for 15-20 years .

No point t=blaming the athletics 

I dunno much about the IOC officials, but I threw up when I found out Praful Patel is president India Football Federation.

With money sucking scums like these littered around Indian sporting organisations, no way India going to be a global success at sports...and this includes cricket. 

1 hour ago, Adi_91 said:

The question is,will they ever take moral responsibility and offer to resign. If I were one, I would have stepped down by now.

Moral responsibility in India ? We dont know what that term even means :hysterical:

Just remember how Kalmadi and Srini acted when there were actual calls for them to resign.

1 hour ago, chewy said:

I dunno much about the IOC officials, but I threw up when I found out Praful Patel is president India Football Federation.

With money sucking scums like these littered around Indian sporting organisations, no way India going to be a global success at sports...and this includes cricket. 

Just look at the Archery association .Malhotra has been president for nearly 45 years since it came into existence despite plenty of corruption allegations.Will this be allowed in any other country's professional body despite not a single success.

Most of these affiliate associations are like full of politicians filled with allegations corruption and nepotism.But since most are controlled by politicians no one wants to change status quota.Why would they care about Indian winning medals when it will have zero impact on their positions.

14 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Most of these affiliate associations are like full of politicians filled with allegations corruption and nepotism.But since most are controlled by politicians no one wants to change status quota.

Supreme Court needs to intervene again and order that no politician can be an official of sports associations. SC did it for BCCI, better do it for other sports too. These crooks won't remove themselves, so what other option is left really. 

I hope we don't win a single medal, so the government could get up it's ass and take a good, hard look at the state of sports in the country. Maybe, just maybe, with Modi at the helm, things could improve, even if not dramatically, compared to before. We will need thousands of crores of investment in sports infrastructure before it starts to yield any results. And that needs to come from the government.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:57 AM, TNAmarkFrmIndia said:

I hope we don't win a single medal, so the government could get up it's ass and take a good, hard look at the state of sports in the country. Maybe, just maybe, with Modi at the helm, things could improve, even if not dramatically, compared to before. We will need thousands of crores of investment in sports infrastructure before it starts to yield any results. And that needs to come from the government.

We did not win a single medal in 1992 either...did it change anything?

SInce then some individual brilliance has seen some odd medals but that's about it...nothing to do with the sports bodies or government.