Will we win a single medal this time ?

sourab10forever

Such a jinxed campaign. 

Shooting and Archery were colossal disappointments. 

Hockey never had any hope to begin with.

Saina got injured 10 day before the start. 

Shiva Thapa got first ranker in first round itself. 

Hope after this debacle there are some changes in sports structure. 

all said and done .hearing this a since Sydney Olympics,but we are still the same .Outcome doesn't change in terms of medals.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Stuge said:

all said and done .hearing this a since Sydney Olympics,but we are still the same .Outcome doesn't change in terms of medals.

Slightly disagree. There is growing awareness among Indians that we have to start taking Olympics seriously. I see more Indians following Olympics now and the Indian contingent and wanting them to win medals.

This is a big change from Sydney. From even Beijing. I still feel that Abhinav Bindra's gold in 2008 set the tone for change in mindset among Indians. More and more athletes are now performing better. 

I agree this Olympics was 2 steps backward, but the mindset I hope won't go back to the past and focus on future.

Slightly disagree. There is growing awareness among Indians that we have to start taking Olympics seriously. I see more Indians following Olympics now and the Indian contingent and wanting them to win medals.

This is a big change from Sydney. From even Beijing. I still feel that Abhinav Bindra's gold in 2008 set the tone for change in mindset among Indians. More and more athletes are now performing better. 

I agree this Olympics was 2 steps backward, but the mindset I hope won't go back to the past and focus on future.

Awareness doesn't bring medal.Training right people does.As long as sports other than cricket can becomes ones breadwinner . It's hard to expect people to take up sports.

Are people seriously blaming management (or lack of it) for failure of Indian athletes? Give your head a shake. 

Indians suck at sports - or any athletic activity for that matter. Since India isnt a commie regime where the state starts selective breeding programs to create a optimal gene pool, people are going to have to wait a few decades for the conditions to become suitable to produce world class athletes. 

22 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Awareness doesn't bring medal.Training right people does.As long as sports other than cricket can becomes ones breadwinner . It's hard to expect people to take up sports.

Well, without awareness, how do you expect kids to take up sports?

I myself learnt a lot about other sports only after watching London 2012 games. And with more stars emerging, our kids who are anyway glued to TV sets will start to learn more and may take up sports. 

A Saina Nehwal has already inspired young minds to take up the sport. And I still back our shooters to do better in Tokyo as the sport anyway is grueling under pressure for athletes.

I know awareness alone can't win us medals, but at least, there is a hope for a better Olympic future. 

Well, without awareness, how do you expect kids to take up sports?

I myself learnt a lot about other sports only after watching London 2012 games. And with more stars emerging, our kids who are anyway glued to TV sets will start to learn more and may take up sports. 

A Saina Nehwal has already inspired young minds to take up the sport. And I still back our shooters to do better in Tokyo as the sport anyway is grueling under pressure for athletes.

I know awareness alone can't win us medals, but at least, there is a hope for a better Olympic future. 

Kids won't even if they are aware .We shouldn't be quoting somebody like Abhinav Bindra ,who was rich enough to hire best of trainers even then he buckled under pressure .

read about difficulties faced by Gagan Narang and other shooters.Getting guns in India legally is no easy task ,and shooting is still an elite sports imo.

7 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Kids won't even if they are aware .We shouldn't be quoting somebody like Abhinav Bindra ,who was rich enough to hire best of trainers even then he buckled under pressure .

read about difficulties faced by Gagan Narang and other shooters.Getting guns in India legally is no easy task ,and shooting is still an elite sports imo.

What about the event itself? Any idea how it is to shoot, let alone in an Olympic games?

Let's not belittle his achievements and question his social status and tie with his performances. Being rich alone won't yield much, unless our athletes start believing.

1 hour ago, surajmal said:

Are people seriously blaming management (or lack of it) for failure of Indian athletes? Give your head a shake. 

Indians suck at sports - or any athletic activity for that matter. Since India isnt a commie regime where the state starts selective breeding programs to create a optimal gene pool, people are going to have to wait a few decades for the conditions to become suitable to produce world class athletes. 

Looks like you didn't watch the badminton match today....you need to watch it before you come up with such analysis....PV Sindhu looked like a world class arhlete over powering her opponent.

Similarly Shakshi had to win 4 wrestling games in 4 hours 5 if you include the one she lost to win a bronze...you know how much stamina and athletic ability is required to acheive a feat like that in a physical sport like wrestling? I don't know either and but I can definitely guess and conclude it is way beyond the capability of a key board warrior like me.

Going back to your point yes the management is to blame...the wrestlers and badminton players (no these are not selective examples as India has been producing top level athletes in these 2 disciplines for a while) are the product of well managed academies and training facilities. There is a government owned wrestling and badminton frderation but they have done jack for these athletes but these athletes have already shown how sportsmen can thrive under good and capable management.

This has nothing to do with genes etc. You probably have been listening to too much Imran Khan and his mountain men theories about fast bowling.

Edited by maniac

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Looks like you didn't watch the badminton match today....you need to watch it before you come up with such analysis....PV Sindhu looked like a world class arhlete over powering her opponent.

Similarly Shakshi had to win 4 wrestling games in 4 hours 5 if you include the one she lost to win a bronze...you know how much stamina and athletic ability is required to acheive a feat like that in a physical sport like wrestling? I don't know either and but I can definitely guess and conclude it is way beyond the capability of a key board warrior like me.

Going back to your point yes the management is to blame...the wrestlers and badminton players (no these are not selective examples as India has been producing top level athletes in these 2 disciplines for a while) are the product of well managed academies and training facilities. There is a government owned wrestling and badminton frderation but they have done jack for these athletes but these athletes have already shown how sportsmen can thrive under good and capable management.

This has nothing to do with genes etc. You probably have been listening to too much Imran Khan and his mountain men theories about fast bowling.

you are the one bringing up pakilund's theories, not me. Nature is important, as is nurture. One can compensate by having one over the other (like athletes from poor african nations - who strictly hit the gene lottery) but Indians lack both. Hence the general suckitude of Indian athletes. 

No govt program/funding can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Indian cricket is a perfect example. Plenty of facilities, attractive salaries for even domestic players, yet a sea of mediocrity. Considering the population base (not just the country but the number of people playing the sport recreationally, competitively at school/college/state level),  if Nature/Nurture wasn't important, India should have been able to field 10 world class teams simultaneously by now... we struggle to field even one. 

Accept it, We suck. 

Edited by surajmal

Indians also generally lack the work ethic. No better example than marathon national record: Shivnath singh - 2:12  set in 1978. Considering the improvement in nutrition all around and general craze of fitness that even seems to be spreading in India, this record remains untouched. 

And long distance running doesn't require superman genes, all humans beings have ability to a varying degree. Just requires work.  

Edited by surajmal

For Olympic glory certainly huge amount of money and investment in sport infra and coaching is required.

You don't expect countries like Somalia or Pakistan to get 10 medals.

in the top 20 medal, either countries will have a  very good per capita or large country with a large GDP

countries like south korea and china have increased competitiveness in Olympics with increase in GDP.

While india has attained a large GDP in the last 25 years, we are still lagging several times behind's china.

china got more out of its population per GDP but they are also a different beast

The next decade is a promising decade where huge investments in sports can take us to 10-15 medals with 5-8 gold medals .Again even this cant be achieved without good policies and execution.

if a country has to establish itself in a sport, it has to create strong school teams, league teams and number of decent coaches

has to be spread through the length and breadth of the country.decent infra is a must.

its like constructing 15000km of highway,..it can be done but we need more quality administrators. 

you need money...investment in infra,coaches and sports programs...then glory will come..

even concentration in 4 major cities can be of help....for all the talk about cricket, our superstars are pretty much from the big cities with a exception like dhoni...we are still not getting batting superstars from the tier 2 towns...and there is a reason why

to make matters worse wrestling weight divisions were curtailed, so narsing yadav and Sushil kumar had to compete for same weight range, Sushil called out Narsing for a bout which he did not comply so only Narsingh competing in 74 kg range, else we would have had a medal prospect in 65 kg in which Sushil used to compete. I think India needs to review certain categories which have lots of gold medals and focus on them not stick of wrestling/boxing/shooting/archery that we do now.

Shiv thapa was high ranked wonder how he got 1st seed in opening bout.

What about the event itself? Any idea how it is to shoot, let alone in an Olympic games?

Let's not belittle his achievements and question his social status and tie with his performances. Being rich alone won't yield much, unless our athletes start believing.

that's why I said...Even he buckled under pressure and there are lot of Athletes who doesn't know what they will do if aren't able to perform.There is no security being a sportman in a country like India.