Jadeja's batting today. Turning point for him?

sandeep

I posted this in the match thread, but Jadeja as a batsman is averaging >40 in 2016, he is a legit allrounder in Asia. If he can maintain a 25-30 batting average overseas, it would be great, although Ashwin is probably our sole spinner overseas.  

He always does well when given the responsibility. Even in the NZ series, he chipped in some very valuable runs when our top order failed in two or three innings. The team management needs to tell him to think of himself as a batsmen rather than a glorified Shahid Afridi in test match cricket and he'll be fine. His temperament was really impressive in the last innings.

39 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Batted very assuredly today, but he needs to stop having these brain fades (like Afridi, who averaged a healthy 36 in Tests).

I dont think he will stop having those  - I think every once in a while during the innings he will go for a "slog shot". And likely to get out that way. He seems to bat that way only. Wonder how he scored three 300s. Total patta in Rajkot.

Just now, SUMO said:

if possible he bats up the order no 6 or 7 few times may be
and get first 100...it will change his career

He almost got it previous match, had an opportunity today - he will definitely get them in this home stretch of tests.  We keep moaning about the lack of allrounders, looking for seam bowling ones - but its amazing how much stronger our team is at home, because our top 2 spinners add value with the bat.  Its a good time to be a Team India fan!

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

He almost got it previous match, had an opportunity today - he will definitely get them in this home stretch of tests.  We keep moaning about the lack of allrounders, looking for seam bowling ones - but its amazing how much stronger our team is at home, because our top 2 spinners add value with the bat.  Its a good time to be a Team India fan!

yeah and especially when our best spinner is an allrounder , we can always play him overseas also and pick 4 seamers 
dont need a seaming allrounder

4 minutes ago, SUMO said:

yeah and especially when our best spinner is an allrounder , we can always play him overseas also and pick 4 seamers 
dont need a seaming allrounder

I don't know if we have 4 such pacers - Ishant, BK, Yadav and Shami I guess. Of them, BK can bat to an extent, but the others are kind of bunnies. Would be nice to find another pace bowler who can bat well.

14 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I don't know if we have 4 such pacers - Ishant, BK, Yadav and Shami I guess. Of them, BK can bat to an extent, but the others are kind of bunnies. Would be nice to find another pace bowler who can bat well.

aus SA also have  philander and starc only .... eng have an edge for sure

22 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Gujju Swag ingliss accent:  Name is Pandya.  HaaaarDik Pandya.

You forgot - he took a blow to the shoulder and has a hairline fracture - might even miss the ODIs.  Which is really unfortunate.  I was hoping for a good head-to-head comparison between him and Stokes with the white ball.    Stokes is miles ahead of Pandya with the red, but Pandya could have been comparable with the white - I truly believe that.  

7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You forgot - he took a blow to the shoulder and has a hairline fracture - might even miss the ODIs.  Which is really unfortunate.  I was hoping for a good head-to-head comparison between him and Stokes with the white ball.    Stokes is miles ahead of Pandya with the red, but Pandya could have been comparable with the white - I truly believe that.  

Forgot about that totally. Yes, it would have been nice to see how the two compared against each other.

As far as Jadeja is concerned I have changed my opinion about him as a test player, he has certainly taken the next step as a batsmen, and also exploring a bit more with his spin.

Ashwins batting and seeing Jayant score runs has brought about a change in his batting, now he plays the ball per merit and also attacks when he feels he can get away with it, has a range of strokes and has improved against pace , his challenge now will be can he do this in Australia n England against seam n bounce n well looks like he can.

Now with Ashwin a proper allrounder, Jadeja getting better, Pandya n option we can have 5 bowlers n enough batters even abroad.

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Virat

Rahane

Ashwin

Saha

Jadeja

Pandya

Shami

Umesh

Is a decent lineup even in Australia or England as most grounds now have become slower n flatter now also with DRS spinners are coming more into the game everywhere, only thing is now for them to adjust to dukes n kookaburra

13 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

As far as Jadeja is concerned I have changed my opinion about him as a test player, he has certainly taken the next step as a batsmen, and also exploring a bit more with his spin.

Ashwins batting and seeing Jayant score runs has brought about a change in his batting, now he plays the ball per merit and also attacks when he feels he can get away with it, has a range of strokes and has improved against pace , his challenge now will be can he do this in Australia n England against seam n bounce n well looks like he can.

Now with Ashwin a proper allrounder, Jadeja getting better, Pandya n option we can have 5 bowlers n enough batters even abroad.

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Virat

Rahane

Ashwin

Saha

Jadeja

Pandya

Shami

Umesh

Is a decent lineup even in Australia or England as most grounds now have become slower n flatter now also with DRS spinners are coming more into the game everywhere, only thing is now for them to adjust to dukes n kookaburra

Pandya as a 3rd seamer in test cricket is a massive reach at the moment.  He has to play as 4th seamer who can bat a bit - unless he really turns into a wicket-taking seamer with the red ball - I would love for it to happen, but he hasn't even shown he can do the 4th seamer job yet.   

But I like the way you're thinking - if we are able to take both our spin twins into an away game, without sacrificing batting too much - we become a very threatening side, as the game goes on.

16 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Virat

Rahane

Ashwin

Saha

Jadeja

Pandya

Shami

Umesh

I don't think Ind will play 2 spinners abroad, unless it has something in it for the spinners. If there are only 3 pacers, I'm not sure effective Pandya would be as the third.

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Pandya as a 3rd seamer in test cricket is a massive reach at the moment.  He has to play as 4th seamer who can bat a bit - unless he really turns into a wicket-taking seamer with the red ball - I would love for it to happen, but he hasn't even shown he can do the 4th seamer job yet.   

But I like the way you're thinking - if we are able to take both our spin twins into an away game, without sacrificing batting too much - we become a very threatening side, as the game goes on.

Drs has changed the game for finger spinners n lbw cN be a threat on any surface now, even with no turn, bounce, drift, dip, over spin can be used to be more effective, proper field placing drs and good spinner now can bowl and be effective most places.

Pandya if he keeps his head straight n stays fit, he has it in him talent wise to play as third seamer and to me can replace or make own his spot there plus his batting is not slogging, he has the requisite skills, he has to be given confidence n longer spell in the team n that will certainly pay dividends.

I would choose him over Ishant n Bhuvi on most tracks as his bowling is decent and his batting g can change the game in an hour or two as he scores fast