Tennis :2017 season

tweaker

25 minutes ago, zep1706 said:

Who told you that Nadal went months without touching the racquet? Were you with him to see if he had trained and played tennis before returning? LOL. Don't make a fool of yourself. Your hypocrisy has already been exposed. FYI Nadal started training after a couple of months (from Oct-Nov 2012) and could have returned at 2013 Australian Open as well. The official decision to skip 2013 AO was a stomach bug. Basically it was a strategic decision to return on clay playing clay 250s in South America where he would be most comfortable. 

Yeah, couple of months versus couple of weeks. makes a big difference.

And like i said, far easier to see a guy relying on magic shots hit the ground running versus a guy who relies on superior physical fitness hitting the ground running after a massive physical injury.

19 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Yeah, couple of months versus couple of weeks. makes a big difference.

And like i said, far easier to see a guy relying on magic shots hit the ground running versus a guy who relies on superior physical fitness hitting the ground running after a massive physical injury.

Trust me if I start quoting your old posts you would have nowhere to hide other than that "Federer is magical" defense. It is even worse considering Federer is 35 not 26 like Nadal was in 2013. Also Nadal started by winning against nobodies on clay, Federer started winning slams and masters right away outplaying outlasting top 10 opponents in back to back 5 setters. But I have grown up in the last couple of years and I no longer waste my time arguing on the internet. I just wanted to call you out on your hypocrisy which I did. Good bye! 

Edited by zep1706

Wonderful tournament for Federer.

While the general consensus is that Federer is playing his best tennis ever ,I beg to disagree.

- Federers movement, especially on the forehand side, has deteriorated to a large extent

- He also makes a larger number of unforced errors off both wings

Where he has improved is his court positioning.Taking returns early by driving through them has paid dividends.While this might be good enough to work against Nadal,it might not be so against Djokovic who likes pace and is a metronome.So Federer needs to keep changing his tactics against various opponents to get the most success.He needs to conserve his energy and is no longer the player he was.

4 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Wonderful tournament for Federer.

While the general consensus is that Federer is playing his best tennis ever ,I beg to disagree.

- Federers movement, especially on the forehand side, has deteriorated to a large extent

- He also makes a larger number of unforced errors off both wings

Where he has improved is his court positioning.Taking returns early by driving through them has paid dividends.While this might be good enough to work against Nadal,it might not be so against Djokovic who likes pace and is a metronome.So Federer needs to keep changing his tactics against various opponents to get the most success.He needs to conserve his energy and is no longer the player he was.

^
Djokovic is going through the same phase Nadal went through in 2014, where one could hope to 'blow through him' on fast courts with power hitting. His matches agains Kyrgios, DelPo and Cilic in recent memory has made me think that Djokovic has lost that cutting edge in retrieving and forcing errors from power-hitters regularly enough to win.

I also wonder how much of his elbow injury issue is due to his technically flawed 'bent elbow' forehand technique.

^

Djokovic is going through the same phase Nadal went through in 2014, where one could hope to 'blow through him' on fast courts with power hitting. His matches agains Kyrgios, DelPo and Cilic in recent memory has made me think that Djokovic has lost that cutting edge in retrieving and forcing errors from power-hitters regularly enough to win.

I also wonder how much of his elbow injury issue is due to his technically flawed 'bent elbow' forehand technique.

It could be a combination of two things:

1. Motivation-Djokovic has said tennis is no longer a priority

2.Playing Style-Djokovic and Nadal are not what I call aggressive players.Both of them move well side to side but are loathe to move in to finish points.Such a style of play is good when you are young and have energy ,but not when you are in your late 20s or eatly 30s.Sooner or later, the next generation will catch up.

43 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

It could be a combination of two things:

1. Motivation-Djokovic has said tennis is no longer a priority

2.Playing Style-Djokovic and Nadal are not what I call aggressive players.Both of them move well side to side but are loathe to move in to finish points.Such a style of play is good when you are young and have energy ,but not when you are in your late 20s or eatly 30s.Sooner or later, the next generation will catch up.

Point #2 do u mean its the cause of Djokovic's decline or cause of his elbow injury ?

^Federer has already missed plenty of tournaments between his victory of Australian open and here in Indian Wells.

His priority are now Wimbledon and US Hard Court season which involves US Open.

He is going to try to compete in French but won't go as hard as he did for Australian Open in the end or here at Indian wells.

Regarding Djokovic, Tennis is still massive priority for him but he has not pushed himself like that 2015-16 when he was winning everything, this is because every simce he completed his career slam last year in French Open, he has relaxed a bit. 

I think having lost early in so many tournaments now, he is going to start coming hard and oractice hard. Young players like Kyrgios and Thiem are taking their game to serious distance and to stay in the game against them, you have to stay motivated and practice harder.

Djokovic was too casual after winning French, He is not lacking the motivation, training well.

He has beaten Del potro twice in a row which will do him good. His draws in Acapulco & IW has been a brutal one.

He lost to NK who was serving out of the world. 

With djokovic not playing Miami, expecting him to Come back harder during clay season.

Hope his injury gets healed soon.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:10 AM, I6MTW said:

I think its time for David Ferrer to retire. Quite sad to see him losing like this. He's dropped to outside 30.

^
Pro tennis players play the sport to make money, first and foremost. Unless they literally get bored with their diminishing results and have oodles of money (only applicable to the big 4+1 today), nobody really retires unless they fall out of the top 50, at which point Tennis isn't worth it purely from a financial perspective- particularly when your 'name' can get you a better paying job as an analyst. Players like Lendl, Connors, Wilander, Edberg - they all pretty much declined up to being in the 40s-50s ranked players before they finally retired.

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

^
Pro tennis players play the sport to make money, first and foremost. Unless they literally get bored with their diminishing results and have oodles of money (only applicable to the big 4+1 today), nobody really retires unless they fall out of the top 50, at which point Tennis isn't worth it purely from a financial perspective- particularly when your 'name' can get you a better paying job as an analyst. Players like Lendl, Connors, Wilander, Edberg - they all pretty much declined up to being in the 40s-50s ranked players before they finally retired.

David Ferrer has made tons of money. He's ranked 7th in the all time earnings list iirc. And that's all inspite of having never won a grand slam.

7 hours ago, I6MTW said:

yea he's probably the greatest player to have never won a slam. He was rated very high by experts during his peak.

Would be interesting to make a list of the top players to never win a slam. For those who are done playing/almost done playing, my list would be:
 Rios, Henman, Ferrer and Mecir

Federer vs Berdych. 

Berdych has been always a hurdle for Federer, I remember him giving hard time every time. He was the first guy to stop Federer at Arthur Ashe in the night games, at a place and time where Roger has dominated every time. 

I hope he puts him aside tomorrow.