Gavaskar resigns as ICC cricket committee head

Gavaskar resigns as ICC cricket committee head Cricinfo staff May 8, 2008 Sunil Gavaskar, who was asked to choose between his ICC role and his professional commitments due to a potential for conflict of interest, has decided to end his eight-year stint as chairman of its cricket committee, after chairing this year's meeting in Dubai. The executive board of the ICC had found Gavaskar's dual roles untenable, and had authorised its then-CE0, Malcolm Speed, to ask him to convey his position when the committee met on May 5-6. "I have thoroughly enjoyed the eight years I have held the role [of ICC cricket committee chairman], which is an honorary position, and it has been extremely fulfilling to be able to give back to the game through that role," Gavaskar said about his decision. Gavaskar said that his media commitments made it difficult to fulfill dual responsibilities. "However, with more and more cricket being played it has become clear that it is not possible for me to do justice to two jobs, the chairmanship of the ICC cricket committee and my media commitments. "As an example of that, I had to leave my professional commitments as a commentator on the Indian Premier League matches in order to come and chair this year's meeting in Dubai." Speaking about Gavaskar's resignation, Dave Richardson, the acting CEO of the ICC, said: "We are indebted to the work Sunil has put into his role as chairman of the ICC cricket committee. "He has brought his vast experience of the game to bear, not only over the eight years of his chairmanship but also the six years prior to that, when he was a delegate on the same committee." The issue of a potential conflict of interest came in the aftermath of the Sydney Test, when Gavaskar, in his syndicated newspaper column, lashed out at match referee Mike Procter for banning Harbhajan Singh for his alleged racial abuse. The situation was further exacerbated when Gavaskar criticised the English and Australian board's after the conclusion of the executive board's meet in March. "Gone are the days when two countries, England and Australia, had the veto power in international cricket, even though the dinosaurs may not open their eyes and see the reality," he wrote. "The cricketing world has found that India has no longer a diffident voice but a confident one that knows what is good for its cricket, and will strive to get it." More to follow... © Cricinfo http://content-gulf.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/350334.html

Very disappointed that he gave in to those who questioned his integrity after he criticised Mike Proctor when he banned Bhajji on the hearsay of few Australian players. That was a completely wrong decision by Proctor and it was proved by justice Hansen. And what is wrong in criticising the two boards? Haven't we read tons of article criticising BCCI and IPL? Nobody thinks that criticism of BCCI is as wrong as criticising ECB or CA? Anyway, let us see who takes over from him!

One of those "I told you so" moments. Fully justified. If Sunil Gavaskar wants to speak his mind, including his views going often against the very group he is part of, he should(and did) resign. The man's a serious jacka$$ who keeps playing to the galleries. Good riddance.