Flintoff Is An Indian Cricketer At Heart

OK, not really, but you know what I mean. He has pretty much the same failings. Years of hard work and discipline got him to the perch of the best all-rounder in the world. He spearheaded England's charge to the Ashes at home, and followed that up with a victory at Mumbai as skipper, dancing to the tune of "Ring of Fire". And then he fell off. He became a millionaire overnight. Endorsements, TV shows, tabloids lining up to feature him..he was the second coming of David Beckham. It took away the edge of his hunger of course. His game, and particularly his batting, has gone downhill ever since. His face looks a mask of utter apathy on the field. I won't even mention his Caribbean Sea escapade in a leaking tub, fuelled on alcohol on match eve. Oops, just did. If there ever was an example that money and fame makes you go soft, it's he. And then we argue about how the new generation of Indian cricketers would be disadvantaged by having their endorsements restricted. I'd have limited them to an annual salary. They would have had the means of a gentleman, but no more. There's nothing like a bit of poverty to get the best out of a man. Particularly if he is an Indian cricketer. Or Freddy.

Re: Flintoff Is An Indian Cricketer At Heart His batting has been indifferent. But his bowling is pretty decent tho. But agreed, he hasnt lived up to his super-star billing. Time & time again, we have seen super stars letting the team down. Look at the sides that are doing well in this cup (apart from Aussies -- who are from a diff planet) -- South Africa, NZ, Lanka. No superstars in any of these teams.

Re: Flintoff Is An Indian Cricketer At Heart His talk is even more cliched then dravid. They all talk like a politicians dream. Another 1 in their league is Atapattu. I doubt if these men are like that in dressing room or in real life.

Re: Flintoff Is An Indian Cricketer At Heart KP has got outstanding attitude. I wonder if he will go through a real slump. I mean a mental one and not a slump based on unlucky dismissals. Guy can balley dance as well (the catch he took on the boundary today).

Re: Flintoff Is An Indian Cricketer At Heart He hasn't gone soft, just temporarily off the boil. His problem is that he has been overburdened with responsibility - what with being the captain for an Ashes tour and all...he cannot take it anymore. His decline also coincides with Vaughan's injury problems; the skipper managed to keep him in line and always brought out the best in him - unlike Hussain. Notice how Flintoff's best years were during the period Vaughan was full-time captain - from the summer of '03 'til '05.