Cricket Australia considers new two innings 40-over format

Gods calls answered by CA.

Cricket Australia is considering introducing a completely new limited-overs format as soon as next season, in what could be another nail in the coffin of the 50-over game. The Australian has reported that the CA board will this week discuss a domestic tournament of 40-over games, with each team to bat for two innings of 20 overs.
http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/462445.html Great idea, but I think CA is doing it to boost the sales since cricket isnt the most attractive sport in Australia.

Hussey not a fan of 40-over matches Mike Hussey says he is no fan of 40-over cricket, confirming player concerns about Cricket Australia's mooted change of the domestic limited overs format for next summer. More... Hussey not a fan of 40-over matches DANIEL BRETTIG June 11, 2010 AAP Mike Hussey says he is no fan of 40-over cricket, confirming player concerns about Cricket Australia's mooted change of the domestic limited overs format for next summer. The CA board of directors met in Melbourne on Friday to discuss the prospect of radically altering the domestic limited overs format to four 20-over innings, or possibly two 40-over innings as is the case in England and South Africa. But players and coaches appear united in their concern about such drastic change so close to the 2011 World Cup - in 50-over format - to be held on the Indian subcontinent. Advertisement: Story continues belowTest and ODI batsman Hussey, having played the 40-over format in England, said it was no substitute for 50-over matches. "I know in England they play a 40-over competition," Hussey told the radio station SEN. "I'm personally not a fan of it. "In international cricket you play 50 overs and with the World Cup it's 50 over cricket and in Australia we're hosting a World Cup in 2015. "I'm really keen to stick with the 50-over format. It is a lot different. "That extra 10 overs is a lot different in the way you go about the game and I'd like to see us stick to the 50-over format." Backing up Hussey was Tasmanian captain and Australian squad member George Bailey. "I'd like to think that six or seven months out from a World Cup, they wouldn't tinker with one-day cricket too much," Bailey told reporters in Hobart. "I think while there's a World Cup still to be played for we'd better keep practising that." Australian Cricketers Association chairman Darren Lehmann has said there will need to be much discussion of the issue before anything new is put in place. "We're certainly concerned about that, there will need to be some thorough discussion, obviously quite quickly since we're talking about next season," Lehmann said this week. "We're happy they're talking about reviewing the game and improving it, as far as how far they go, that has got to be discussed at length. "Maybe reducing the overs to 40 per side is not a bad start, whether we can do two 20 over innings is something we need to discuss. "My personal preference is to go to 40 overs per side, but I'm open to all ideas to improve the game."

yep..40 over sounds low, without a meaty middle overs to build a partnership. In ODIs, with all the powerplay rules, it already is 25 overs of aggressive cricket (1st 15 overs + last 10 overs).25 overs of middle over gives the game a lot more character than a 20 over game. 40 over games will just have 15 overs of this (probably less because there is more wickets/over) and ultimately remove the only difference between an ODI and a T20 game.

Players must be convinced about CA's plan to change ODI format: Ponting Skipper Ricky Ponting has said that players will need to be convinced about Cricket Australia's attempt to change the 50-over ODI format by introducing a new 40-over competition. More... Players must be convinced about CA's plan to change ODI format: Ponting Ani, ANI, 12 June 2010 Sydney, Jun 12 (ANI): Skipper Ricky Ponting has said that players will need to be convinced about Cricket Australia's attempt to change the 50-over ODI format by introducing a new 40-over competition. Cricket Australia had proposed a new 40-over competition, in which teams would bat for two innings of 20 overs each. Cricket Australia's experimentation with the limited overs format in 2010-11 would be worthwhile so long as the players understood what was being done to change the game, said Ponting. CA will speak with players, sponsors, and broadcasters about what shape the change in format will take, though chief executive James Sutherland has said the splitting of matches into four 20-over innings is the crux of the experiment. "Everyone in Australia noticed last year that the 50-over game probably struggled a little bit in Australia with the popularity of 20-over cricket around the world, so I'm open to looking at ways to improve it," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Ponting, as saying. "Where we're at the moment is at a stage where there'll be some consultation with the players, which I think is pretty important in the next step of taking that forward," he said. "The most important thing with it is all the players need to be on board as well and understand where they're going and what they're to achieve. The players haven't been consulted all the way through this one, that process is about to start now, where the players will be made aware of what CA are thinking with this new proposal," he added. Expressed his liking for the 50-over format, Ponting said the game itself had improved tremendously in recent times, only to be overshadowed by the onset of Twenty20. "I've really enjoyed the 50-over game to tell you the truth over the last couple of years, I know the 20-over game has been very popular all around the world, but the 50-over game for me hasn't dropped off," he said. (ANI)

Australia seeks player feedback on split-innings experiment More... Australia seeks player feedback on split-innings experiment Yahoonews, PTI, 18 June 2010 Melbourne: Australian players will have their say on the "practicality" of having split-innings one-dayers that Cricket Australia is planning before the concept is actually introduced in the domestic Ford Ranger Cup competition next year. "Australian cricketers' ideas on reviewing one-day cricket will be captured in a roadshow before Cricket Australia seeks to finalise concepts for a new-look Ford Ranger Cup competition next summer," CA said in a statement. Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland said Australian and state players will provide their feedback on the split-innings one-day cricket. "We will show players, including those now on the Tour of England, the public research," he said. "Cricket lovers say that ODI cricket captures the broadest interest of the three formats, and it is supported with strong passion, but it is a game that needs better positioning and a format review if it is to remain popular in the long-term," he added. CA is planning to split the 50-over matches into four innings in a bid to bring back the spectators, who have given the format a cold shoulder since the advent of Twenty20 cricket. "There has been a lot of public discussion since the CA board last week approved we go ahead with a format review, but this is still a work-in-progress," Sutherland said. "The idea of split innings was popular with fans and we are keen at this stage to look at a 10 wickets-a-side, split-innings concept to see if it is feasible from public, player, broadcaster and commercial partners' points of view. "We need to listen to what the public wants but we also need to be sure that ideas are practical, and most important, are acceptable to world cricket and capable in the long-term of being considered for international cricket," he added. CA and the Australian Cricketers' Association will meet players around the nation this month and the Australian squad in England will also be invited to provide feedback. "Consolidated public, player, broadcaster and commercial partner feedback will then go to CA's playing conditions committee to assess what a new-look, one-day format for interstate cricket next summer should look like," CA said.