Dravid's another record

Don't kid yourself about Don't kid yourself about Karthik. Sure, he has two fifties to his name so far but both of them were scored on dead pitches which offered nothing for the bowlers. I wouldn't give him a chance in hell of surviving an opening spell from Harmison or Flintoff. The guy is very loose in his strokeplay and is better as a middle order batsman than an opener. Hopefully Dravid and co. realise this and aren't lulled into a false sense of security. Bring back Sehwag and he can open alongside Jaffer.

Quote: Predator_05

Don't kid yourself about Karthik. Sure' date=' he has two fifties to his name so far but both of them were scored on dead pitches which offered nothing for the bowlers. I wouldn't give him a chance in hell of surviving an opening spell from Harmison or Flintoff. The guy is very loose in his strokeplay and is better as a middle order batsman than an opener. Hopefully Dravid and co. realise this and aren't lulled into a false sense of security. Bring back Sehwag and he can open alongside Jaffer. [/quote'] Sure dead pitch in South Africa. Go figure... He'll take Harmison and Flintoff to the cleaners. Just watch this space until then. Bring back Sehwag(lol). I heard call for his head just few days ago and now he is being worshipped. What a poppycock!

Admit it head coach, you Admit it head coach, you never watch a ball of cricket do you ? Karthik's 50 at Cape Town was on a BENIGN, subcontinental type pitch. Especially on that first day, when it had absolutely nothing in it for the bowlers. You obviously didn't watch the match, so i don't expect you to know this. Secondly, i have always said that Sehwag is a worthless ODI batsman but in Test cricket he is still worth a shot. There is a difference. I'll leave the "worshipping" up to guys like you.

kabira wrote:Preds, To be

Preds, To be fair on Karthik..there was some help early on in Cape Town...which most opening batsman have to encounter...
That first hour. After that there was nothing in it. Balls weren't even bouncing above knee height, it was a pancake - to be fair. Karthik won't last long against guys like Harmison or Hoggard on an English pitch as he never be able to to settle down and block for hours like he did at Cape Town. Aggressive batsmen who go for their shots always prosper in England, at least that has always been the case with Indian batsmen.

Dravid should never open. Dravid should never open. You lose him early, you are sealed. Probability of one of the opening bowlers bowling one peach early in the innings is higher than them bowling two such. If the openers can see off the new ball and then even if you lose a wicket, you are giving your best bat a decent chance than throwing him to the new ball right away.

The first hour is what most The first hour is what most of the time tough... thats what Gavaskar used to say..Give 1st hour to bowlers and next 5 hours are yours...Sehwag did that in Australia.. Karthik scored 50 on 1st day pitch in SA..It will always have something for bowler atleast for an hour...England is not much different..although it also depends on atmospheric conditions.. I would also want Sehwag to open in England..But lets not take any credit away from Karthik..

Karthik is no Sehwag and he Karthik is no Sehwag and he sure is no Gavaskar. Trust me, no English pitch will be as bare as that Cape Town wicket was on day 1. Besides, do you want an opener who can score hundreds for you or do you want some nobody to block pointlessly for hours on end ?

>Besides, do you want an >Besides, do you want an opener who can score hundreds for you or do you want some nobody to block pointlessly for hours on end ? His SR has been good...so I dont know why you say blocking pointlessly??

Predator_05 wrote:Don't kid

Don't kid yourself about Karthik. Sure' date=' he has two fifties to his name so far but both of them were scored on dead pitches which offered nothing for the bowlers. I wouldn't give him a chance in hell of surviving an opening spell from Harmison or Flintoff. The guy is very loose in his strokeplay and is better as a middle order batsman than an opener. Hopefully Dravid and co. realise this and aren't lulled into a false sense of security. Bring back Sehwag and he can open alongside Jaffer. [/quote'] MUAHAHAHAHA. and yeah, before i fall down laffing, pls repeat that sehwag is very tight in his strokeplay, as opposed to the "very loose strokeplay" of KKD. lunfakir cant even play a decent ODI innings against minnows... thanks for the laugh.

Predator_05 wrote:kabira

Preds, To be fair on Karthik..there was some help early on in Cape Town...which most opening batsman have to encounter...
That first hour. After that there was nothing in it. Balls weren't even bouncing above knee height, it was a pancake - to be fair. Karthik won't last long against guys like Harmison or Hoggard on an English pitch as he never be able to to settle down and block for hours like he did at Cape Town. Aggressive batsmen who go for their shots always prosper in England, at least that has always been the case with Indian batsmen.
ermm... i think u are second-guessing yrself. make up yr mind. is KKD a loose, flashy strokeplayer (who will, by yr theory, prosper on english wickets) or is he a blocker? FYI, i dont think sehwag would have lasted that first hour... he has lost his brains and will.