Sourav, Dhoni helped my career

An emotional Yuvraj Singh lauded Sourav Ganguly and MS Dhoni for moulding him into the ICC CWC player of the tournament. By Rajarshi Gupta in Mumbai Yuvraj could not stop shedding tears of joy Saturday night. A decade of ups and lows had finally given way to a more serene and composed player, a senior who contributed with bat and ball as India lifted the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011. Yuvraj had done away with his flamboyance and oft-repeated irresponsible shot-making. He was a changed cricketer but just as dangerous on his day. With the ultimate dream realised 11 years after his debut, the Punjab southpaw became nostalgic about his first India captain. “I made my debut under Sourav Ganguly and he has been a huge help and influence. He supported me a lot throughout. Dhoni has been a great captain too - whatever he has touched turned into gold. These two captains helped my career, helped me become the player I am today,†Yuvraj said. Yuvraj has been self-destructive for a while in his career, throwing away starts with frustrating regularity but this ICC CWC, he transformed into a calming influence on the team, prompting Dhoni into unadulterated praise for the Player of the Tournament: “Yuvi has been in brilliant form throughout the series.†Dhoni himself admitted he was a ‘lucky’ skipper to have the likes of Yuvraj and the others in the squad: “I am a lucky captain because I have always had good players. The youngsters have contributed a lot. “Some of our fielders are not good enough so the better ones notched up their fielding and did more than they were required to do,†Dhoni said. At the end of the highest run-chase in an ICC CWC final, it was only fitting Yuvraj was at the crease when Dhoni hit a six to re-create history. There can be no turning back now. India are world champions and Yuvraj one of the protagonists of a perfect script. This is a start to a new era of world beaters. http://www.espnstar.com/cricket/icc-cricket-world-cup/news/detail/item604160/Yuvraj:-Sourav,-Dhoni-helped-my-career/