Pollock backs Sachin

shailesh

Graeme Pollock that is ;) mid-day: South Africa?s batting legend Graeme Pollock believes Sachin Tendulkar will put behind his one-day hiccups and come into his own in the Test series against South Africa that kicks off at the Wanderers in Johannesburg on Friday. Pollock, whose nephew Shaun played his role in troubling Tendulkar by dismissing him twice in the series, felt that the Indian star?s sheer ability would see him conquer the South African bowlers. Tendulkar scored 35 out of 91 in the second one-dayer in Durban which India lost by 157 runs. His best effort in the series came in the last game at Centurion where he scored 55 after a slow start. Sachin Tendulkar takes a breather at nets in Johannesburg yesterday ?He (Tendulkar) is struggling a little bit and has been out of it. But he is a very keen guy and his contribution will be very important to India?s success in the Test series,? Pollock told MiD DAY over the phone from Johannesburg yesterday. ?He hasn?t been playing enough. He has not looked confident and convincing as he was years ago. But once the talent is there ? you see it with Lara all the time ? disappointing in a few innings and suddenly he puts it together ? I think you will see that Tendulkar will be a contributor in this series.? Tendulkar?s last Test hundred came against Sri Lanka in December 2005. His highest in his last seven Tests is 34 before missing the tour of West Indies through injury. Indeed, India needs a big innings from him to prove that they are capable of combating Graeme Smith?s army. Asked what tips would he give Tendulkar before going in to Test battle, Pollock said. ?I would ask him to relax. ?I know you are under pressure; Indian cricket is under pressure from their public. Go and play your normal game. You are good enough. You will get out of it (lean patch).? ?And I think he will get out of it. He is too good a player not to. Every player goes through a bad patch and I like to see good players come through. ?Nothing else will change. He is the same and guy and he will do something,? stressed Pollock. Pollock does not advocate a change in approach to get on top of the Proteas. ?I don?t think you have to change your approach. You play as you normally do. You can?t go there and change how you have been playing all your life. You play as it comes,? he said.