'Jonty's Way' fielding coaching camp launched

1983-2011

Vadodara: Former South Africa cricketer Jonty Rhodes on Thursday launched a coaching camp called Jonty's Way Fielding Coaching Camp with cricketers and coaches taking part in it. The camp, which will run till October 15, has players and coaches of all age group, Ranji and women's cricket being imparted fielding tips by Jonty. Another such four-day camp will be held in Hyderabad from October 24. Talking to PTI after launching of the camp at Alembic Ground here, Jonty said, "This will go a long way in improving fielding standards of the teams. The players and coaches who turned up at this camp realised as to how fielding plays a vital role in deciding the fate of a match." "Cricket is now business and every team wants to win. It is necessary to give more emphasis is given on fielding. Saving runs has resulted into winning games," he said. During the camp, Jonty demonstrated the participants various techniques on how to collect ball from the field and throw it accurately. Baroda Cricket Association is the first in the country in taking initiative in launching such a camp. The second phase of the programme is set to start in December. Snehal Parikh, a former Ranji cricketer and now secretary of Baroda Cricket Association said, "Jonty's Way is quite an interesting concept. It will have the multiplier effect once a large group of coaches are issued certificates." Jonty said, "My contract as fielding coach with Mumbai Indians runs till 2012 IPL. Coaching young cricketers is easy. "One can inculcate in them the good habits, not when a cricketer is 23," he said. "There's a technique to be followed for diving. My seven-year-old son dives on South African grounds because of grass on soft soil. He may spill blood when something goes wrong here. In India, one can break his knee. Here the grounds are very hard," Jonty said. "Fielding is not necessarily about skill. I played soccer, field hockey, rugby and tennis and taught myself how to field. I used to team up with Gary Kirsten after the net session was over. I used all other sports to teach myself fielding. Fielding is hard work, but one must look at it as fun and enjoy it." Asked who are the best fielders in Indian cricket team, Jonty said, "Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina and Yuvraj Singh." On Indian team's performance in the recent tour of England, he said, "It was due to injury to senior players who could not play there. The strength of Indian team is unique when all the senior players are fit to play and that is why they won the 2011 ICC World Cup." http://cricketnext.in.com/news/jontys-way-fielding-coaching-camp-launched/60818-13.html