more valuable player Ganguly or VVS?

Rohan495

Re: more valuable player Ganguly or VVS?

I don't know how you came with 4 to 4 .Right from the top of my head , I can count at least 5 for VVS . 281 178 167, 67(match winning Mumbai) , 72 ( SA first test Match Winning). With all due respect , I am sure VVS has played many more match winning than Ganguly. I will check cricinfo .In fact , during the SA tour , commentators like Shastri , Manjrekar , Donald were all commenting about Laxman's big match ability.
I was talking about hundreds. Laxman has 4 matchwinning hundreds to Ganguly's 3 (+ one 98*). ...and surprise, surprise - they both have the same # of matchwinning 50s as well ! 11 to 11. Still think Laxman is better ?

Re: more valuable player Ganguly or VVS? Ganguly was a minnow basher in tests... always piggy backed on the performance of sachin..dravid ans laxman... his captaincy record in tests os also..because of sachin..dravid and VVS... his own performance in tests has been dismal....barring minnows... he was complacent..thats why he performed badly... now that he has got a solid kick ..up his arse...by BCCI.... he is now back on track..as an ordinary player... his situation is like Basanti of sholey....jab tak run banayega...team me rahega...

I don't know how you came with 4 to 4 .Right from the top of my head , I can count at least 5 for VVS . 281 178 167, 67(match winning Mumbai) , 72 ( SA first test Match Winning). With all due respect , I am sure VVS has played many more match winning than Ganguly. I will check cricinfo .In fact , during the SA tour , commentators like Shastri , Manjrekar , Donald were all commenting about Laxman's big match ability.
I was talking about hundreds. Laxman has 4 matchwinning hundreds to Ganguly's 3 (+ one 98*). ...and surprise, surprise - they both have the same # of matchwinning 50s as well ! 11 to 11. Still think Laxman is better ?
Sure, because of better quality of opposition. Also, since when did 100 become a criteria for match winning. For me , that 67 in mumbai is equivalent century anywhere else because the pitch was a dynamite and only laxman and Sachin played well. Same with the 72 in SA wherein Ganguly's 52 could also be classified as match winning.

Sure' date=' because of better quality of opposition. Also, since when did 100 become a criteria for match winning. For me , that 67 in mumbai is equivalent century anywhere else because the pitch was a dynamite and only laxman and Sachin played well. Same with the 72 in SA wherein Ganguly's 52 could also be classified as match winning.[/quote'] So results-wise, they would still be on an even-keel - 'cos Ganguly has played some good innings on tricky pitches as well (remember that 56 against PAK in the 2nd innings of the '99 Delhi test). Not much to choose from at all. Laxman has better numbers against non-subcontinental opposition; Ganguly has got a better record against England and PAK/SL. On that basis, you can give Lax the edge but ultimately; he only averages 2 runs more per inning than Ganguly, which is not a discrepancy large enough to call him a more consistent batsman.

Preds ... take out the minnows and VVS wins hands down ... no question about it ... see for yourselves below are 50+ scores for both against non-minnows ... in matches won.
You can cherry-pick your stats to suit your argument, but i'd rather look at the overall career record which is the best indicator of consistency. I can also argue that Ganguly spent most of his test career batting lower down the order (at #5 and #6), and has a much higher average when batting in the top 4; 52 compared to Laxman's 54. Again, not much to separate the two.

Re: more valuable player Ganguly or VVS? matchwinning knocks: VVS Laxman 1. Kolkatta: VVS Laxman c Healy b Robertson 95 225 161 16, India wins 2. Kolkatta: VVS Laxman c Ponting b McGrath 281 631 452 44 , India Wins 3. Mumbai, VVS Laxman c ME Waugh b McGrath 65 125 87 11 0, VVS Laxman c ME Waugh b Miller 66 136 82 12 0, India Wins 4. Port of Spain: VVS Laxman not out 69 193 123 11 0 VVS Laxman b Dillon 74 228 157 9 0, India wins 5. Kolkatta: VVS Laxman not out 154 530 396 17 0, India wins 6. Mohali, Gets man of the series as well: VVS Laxman not out 154 530 396 17 0 7. Adelaide: VVS Laxman c Gilchrist b Bichel 148 356 282 18 0, India wins 8. Mumbai: VVS Laxman c & b Hauritz 69 192 127 12 0, India wins 9. Bulawayo: VVS Laxman run out (Streak/Taibu) 140 221 21 0, India Wins 10. Motara: VVS Laxman b Maharoof 104 398 237 14 0, India wins 11. Jo burg: S Laxman c Smith b Ntini 73 253 154 12 0 47.40, India wins Get your facts straight predator before showing your opinions, thats 11 times hes scored 50 or more and helped india get victory, not too mention his match saving 100 recently at the West Indies. When this guy is given a chance to perform he will, and by saying this his omission from the 2003 and 2007 was not justified at all, whether you want to blame him on fielding whether you want to talk about runnings between the wickets, hes still class still VVS. He will be no doubt better than Ganguly in test matches, by the time he retires.

Get your facts straight predator before showing your opinions' date=' thats 11 times hes scored 50 or more and helped india get victory, not too mention his match saving 100 recently at the West Indies. .[/quote'] What the hell are you talking about dude ? Did you miss the part about 4 to 3, 11 and 11 ? How about you read a little more carefully before "showing your opinions". ...and if Laxman truly was the greatest thing since Swedish meatballs, why the hell are you comparing him to Saurav f*cking Gangulaaaaay ? roll.gif

Re: more valuable player Ganguly or VVS? so do the stats mean that laxman should not be played against the minnows :chin: His average against the minnows read bangladesh and zimbawe are less than his career stats. :huh: laxmax has 10 hundreds and ganguly 12. discount 1 against zim for laxman and 2 from ganguly. So now its 9 to lax and 10 to gangs. (or do we want to include Sri Lanka in the minnows as well? After all gangs does pretty well against them as well? Then the ratio changes) lax rules over the aussies without a doubt who can forget that innings in Eden with Dravid. All of gangs centuries against england have come in england. Of course england never had a decent pace attack and the pitches are very batting friendly there. also did a simple check. Matches won away when India won with lax, ganguly and sachin and dravid. (50+ runs) lax 5 575 148 115.00 2 4 - - - - - - gangs 9 773 128 128.83 2 7 - - - - - - god 6 930 248* 310.00 5 1 - - - - - - Dravid 9 1349 270 134.90 4 7 - - - - - - remove 1 from lax , 4 from gangs, 2 from sachin,and 3 from dravid. as for home series only lax and gangs (got bored) lax 7 859 281 95.44 2 7 - - - - - - gangs 5 1228 173 122.80 5 9 - - - - - - remove 2 from gangs as they were against zim. i coud not find a filter or something for matches saved so matches drawn 50+ scores lax 14 1436 178 110.46 5 11 - - - - - - gangs 16 1924 173 113.17 9 11 - - - - - - where do we put the two losses to zimbawe btw when we say against the minnows ?