Bravo, Graeme Smith

Here's why the man deserves a straight passport to greatness. This is from Neil Manthorp in Supersport. It was the 25th time in his career that Smith has batted in pursuit of a last innings target and it was the 14th time his team has won. The other 11 matches have been drawn or lost. His own aggregate during those run chases is a staggering 736 at an equally staggering average of 81.77. Only five men have scored more runs in winning pursuits - Matthew Hayden, Gordon Greenidge, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting and Desmond Haynes - all of whom played over a hundred tests compared to Smith's 69. If that doesn't say 'Big Match Temperament', nothing ever will.
Nice numbers, but let's look at the bigger picture. The majority of those matches were played in SA - where the pitches are a bit more consistent and don't wear down as much as subcontinental pitches do. It's easier to bat on those wickets in the 4th innings than it is in our part of the world - cast your mind back to India's last tour there. They easily chased a supposedly tricky 200+ total in the 3rd test on the 5th day and even at Jo'burg, they scored nearly 300 on day 4 but fell short because India had set 400+. Very rarely do you see see teams in the subcontinent doing that. You could say the same for matches played in England. Secondly, what do Smith's team-mates average in successful 4th innings chases ? I found out - Gibbs averages 36, Prince 61, Kallis 49, Kirsten 67. So while Smith definitely bats well in the 4th innings, he has always enjoyed the luxury of being backed up by a very sold batting unit which ALSO performs well in the 4th innings. Since he has always been well supported, that high average, is in part, a consequence of batting in a very good team alongside other good players who do well in the 4th innings.
Nice numbers, but let's look at the bigger picture. The majority of those matches were played in SA - where the pitches are a bit more consistent and don't wear down as much as subcontinental pitches do. It's easier to bat on those wickets in the 4th innings than it is in our part of the world - cast your mind back to India's last tour there. They easily chased a supposedly tricky 200+ total in the 3rd test on the 5th day and even at Jo'burg, they scored nearly 300 on day 4 but fell short because India had set 400+. Very rarely do you see see teams in the subcontinent doing that. You could say the same for matches played in England. Secondly, what do Smith's team-mates average in successful 4th innings chases ? I found out - Gibbs averages 36, Prince 61, Kallis 49, Kirsten 67. So while Smith definitely bats well in the 4th innings, he has always enjoyed the luxury of being backed up by a very sold batting unit which ALSO performs well in the 4th innings. Since he has always been well supported, that high average, is in part, a consequence of batting in a very good team alongside other good players who do well in the 4th innings.
I am not sure how many of those chases were in SA, Pred. Look at the man's away average relative to home. It's awesome. The only thing that bugs me is his average of 22 against Australia. Far too low. He needs to redress that.
I am not sure how many of those chases were in SA, Pred. Look at the man's away average relative to home. It's awesome. The only thing that bugs me is his average of 22 against Australia. Far too low. He needs to redress that.
Of those 21 successful chases, 14 of them were in SA. I agree, he is an awesome player. Don't know about all-time great though. Would we have said this two years ago, or even 1 year ago, when he was struggling to score runs and he was being routinely criticised by the Saffie media ? He wasn't scoring much in 2006 and 2007.
I should shoot myself. With the Saffies at 4 wickets down' date=' I decided to wait until Smith got his 50, then left the ground, thus missing one of the greatest innings of all time, that caused Michael Vaughan to break down into tears on national TV today...[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: