PCB allows Akhtar to play for Surrey

Feed

PCB allows Akhtar to play for Surrey "Akhtar had requested for a NOC, which we have issued to him, and we have no problems if he wants to play in county cricket", said PCB chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi. More... PCB allows Akhtar to play county cricket Rizwan Ali, Associated Press Islamabad, September 02, 2008 First Published: 13:55 IST(2/9/2008) Last Updated: 14:15 IST(2/9/2008) Fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar's bid to play in the English County Championship has been given the blessing of the Pakistan Cricket Board. "He (Akhtar) had requested for a No Objection Certificate, which we have issued to him, and we have no problems if he wants to play in county cricket," PCB chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi told the Associated Press on Tuesday. Akhtar, who has not played first class cricket since a test match against India in December, is expected to join English county Surrey, which is placed at the bottom of the Division One table with three matches to go. "Akhtar has not played competitive cricket for months and he needs to regain match fitness," Naghmi said. "We believe a short county stint might help him in doing that." The 33-year-old Akhtar has previously played for English counties Somerset, Worcestershire and Durham. The fast bowler known as "Rawalpindi Express" had a troubled 2008 in which he managed to win selection in the Pakistan team for the Champions Trophy limited-overs tournament after a court in Lahore suspended his 18-month. The International Cricket Council subsequently postponed the Champions Trophy for a year after four leading teams -England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand - expressed security concerns over playing in Pakistan. In the recent past, the PCB had strong reservations over its cricketers - especially fast bowlers - competing in county cricket. Over the last two years it has refused permission to pacemen Umar Gul and Rao Iftikhar to play in English County Championship. "Akhtar's case is a bit different," Naghmi said. "He needs some matches to test his fitness." Akhtar was the fastest bowler in cricket at his peak, but his 46-test career has been restricted by injuries and discipline breeches. In 46 test matches, Akhtar has taken 178 wickets at an average of 25.69 and 219 wickets at 23.2 in 138 limited-overs internationals. In 2006, Akhtar and fellow Pakistan speedster Mohammad Asif tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone just before the Champions Trophy in India. The PCB initially banned the players for one and two years respectively, but the bans were overturned on appeal.

So wat?

"Akhtar had requested for a NOC, which we have issued to him, and we have no problems if he wants to play in county cricket", said PCB chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi. More... PCB allows Akhtar to play county cricket Rizwan Ali, Associated Press Islamabad, September 02, 2008 First Published: 13:55 IST(2/9/2008) Last Updated: 14:15 IST(2/9/2008) Fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar's bid to play in the English County Championship has been given the blessing of the Pakistan Cricket Board. "He (Akhtar) had requested for a No Objection Certificate, which we have issued to him, and we have no problems if he wants to play in county cricket," PCB chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi told the Associated Press on Tuesday. Akhtar, who has not played first class cricket since a test match against India in December, is expected to join English county Surrey, which is placed at the bottom of the Division One table with three matches to go. "Akhtar has not played competitive cricket for months and he needs to regain match fitness," Naghmi said. "We believe a short county stint might help him in doing that." The 33-year-old Akhtar has previously played for English counties Somerset, Worcestershire and Durham. The fast bowler known as "Rawalpindi Express" had a troubled 2008 in which he managed to win selection in the Pakistan team for the Champions Trophy limited-overs tournament after a court in Lahore suspended his 18-month. The International Cricket Council subsequently postponed the Champions Trophy for a year after four leading teams -England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand - expressed security concerns over playing in Pakistan. In the recent past, the PCB had strong reservations over its cricketers - especially fast bowlers - competing in county cricket. Over the last two years it has refused permission to pacemen Umar Gul and Rao Iftikhar to play in English County Championship. "Akhtar's case is a bit different," Naghmi said. "He needs some matches to test his fitness." Akhtar was the fastest bowler in cricket at his peak, but his 46-test career has been restricted by injuries and discipline breeches. In 46 test matches, Akhtar has taken 178 wickets at an average of 25.69 and 219 wickets at 23.2 in 138 limited-overs internationals. In 2006, Akhtar and fellow Pakistan speedster Mohammad Asif tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone just before the Champions Trophy in India. The PCB initially banned the players for one and two years respectively, but the bans were overturned on appeal.
Wat is the significance, if a club cricketer from one country goes to another and play?

Cricket: Shoaib Akhtar temporarily denied entry to England Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar was sent back home from Heathrow airport on Friday morning because he did not have all the documents allowing him to enter England and play for London county side Surrey More... Shoaib turned away by immigration Sep 5, 2008 Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar was sent back home from Heathrow airport on Friday morning because he did not have all the documents allowing him to enter England and play for London county side Surrey. "I had got a work permit but apparently you also need to have a work visa for that," he told reporters. "I had a multiple visit visa so I had to come back. Now the documents are complete and I will hopefully fly out on Friday." Akhtar, 33, has been given special permission by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to play for Surrey for the remainder of the season. The PCB has served a legal notice on Akhtar to pay a fine of seven million rupees ($247,600) after a five-year ban was cut to 18 months. The player had been suspended for disciplinary reasons.

he needs a clearance from the PAK board to play in the IPL. It would have been nice if the important players like Younis , Misbah, and Akhtar had joined the ICL instead...really a shame that they didn't.
Well, as far as I know, he does not need an express permission from PCB to play IPL. IPL wont select his if he is officially banned by PCB.

Shoaib to join Surrey on Sunday Shoaib Akhtar has sorted out his visa formalities and is expected to join county side Surrey on Sunday. More... County news Shoaib to join Surrey on Sunday Cricinfo staff September 6, 2008 325005.jpgShoaib Akhtar: "The eventual aim is to play for Pakistan and I feel Surrey offers me the best opportunity to prove my fitness" © AFP Shoaib Akhtar has sorted out his visa formalities and is expected to join county side Surrey on Sunday. Shoaib had been sent back home on arrival at Heathrow Airport on Thursday as he was carrying the wrong type of visa. Surrey, in their bid to stave off relegation from Division One of the County Championship, had sought Shoaib for their final three games of the season. Shoaib missed the ongoing fixture against Kent - which has been affected by rain - but will be available for the final two matches against Hampshire and Nottinghamshire. The fast bowler, though, was headed to India on Saturday to take part in a TV show. "I am going to India for a day to fulfil a commitment to take part in a television show and after that I will fly out to England to join Surrey," he told PTI. "Everything is now in order and I will join Surrey by Sunday. "The eventual aim is to play for Pakistan and I feel Surrey offers me the best opportunity to prove my fitness," he said. "I am keen to prove myself to the selectors and resume my Pakistan career." Shoaib has previously had county stints with Durham, Somerset and Worcestershire. He has played only one first-class match this year and was banned by the PCB for five years in April. The ban was subsequently reduced to 18 months, and later suspended. Shoaib was picked in Pakistan's squad for the Champions Trophy but he still has to pay a fine of Rs 7 million (approx US$92,000) to the board.