For Aussie fans: Name your most feared opposition XI

bharat297

For the last time I dont mean fear as in OMG he's gonna smash me around the park. Thats not the only way you can instill fear in the opposition. When I mean feared opposition ... someone who caused the Aussies headaches and troubled them and thus had the Aussie fans afraid that they may not win because of this player. Whilst Sehwag is an easy example ... someone like VVS Laxman probably worried the Aussie players and the Aussie fans (thats who this thread was addressed to) would have been scared that when he came to the crease he was gonna score big.

You don't seem to understand. It's not the way Aussies are brought up in sport. If you think that way, you're handing the opposition an advantage.
Your boys used to cr#p their pants when facing the windies quicks. They had FEAR all over them. Your boys also displayed massive fear when facing Larwood back in the days. Bradman included Ponting also crapped his pants when facing bhaji in 2001. He used to break in to a cold sweat every time he walked out to bat in 2001. Stop trying to talk bull and building your team up as machines who have no fear and are indestructible. Your guys bleed like the rest of humanity. They also have fear like the rest. Just like your pathetic batting in last test which smacked of FEAR! Ponting looks fearful everytime Ishant bowls at him.

Oh and btw ... Donny, Take a look at Shoaib Akthars 5/25 in Brisbane in an ODI in 2002. Ive never seen the Australian players more scared of anyone in their entire life. Look at the way Lehman got out for example... he was scared out of his pants. The youtube package doesnt show his non wicket balls. The Aussies were terriied. But in any case, I was talking about the fans. You didnt get that and started harping on about the way Australians play their sport ... which is great , but is not relevant to the thread.

You're up late' date=' deesy. Does your mum know ?[/quote'] There you go. Avoiding the debate! Instead when you know you made some cr#p posts which are going to be torn apart by me you instead call names. Yet hypocritaly criticise other posters for alleged abuse! Answer my above post on how you claim no aussie has fear or run away!
Not hard to understand, Bharsy. No need to yell. It applies to fans as well. I said 'brought up in sport'.
Hey Donny ... I dont buy that. Ive lived in Australia all my life ... Ok. I support India but I know Australian sport very well. The Aussies definitely fear certain players ... and I dont believe for a second that its just not within our culture to fear anyone. * In rugby - The Wallabies feared Jonah Lomu in his prime (Maybe not Gregan, i dno if ur a rugby fan but do u remember that tackle? ... certainly the wingers that marked him feared him) * They definitely feared the boot of Johnny Wilkinson. * In cricket - When Viv Richards walked into the middle, even the most diehard Aussie fans were scared that he was gonna hammer our best out of the park (and more often than not, he did) * I was there in the 1st final in Sydney earlier this year, surrounded by a bunch of Aussie supporters. At the innings break, every Aussie fan was nervous/anxious (call it what you will) that Sachin would run that total down (and he did). * And if you dont believe me ... One of the toughest Australian captains in history Ian Chappell had this to say late last year : " the Australians still fear Sehwag from the last tour. " Its human nature to fear something/someone. Im Australian too and you cant tell me that Australians are brought up not to fear because thats simply not true. We're brought up to conquer our fears. Thats different.
In fact, it's not in the Aussie makeup to 'fear' any opposition. Two possible exceptions could be: Young Aussie batsmen facing the Windies tornados and Larwood in the Bodyline Ashes.
It's not the fear of physical harm or death that is being refernced to here as might be the case for the Windies bowlers and Larwoods gang...but the fear of failure or loss or of simply not performing at ones best. This is, I think you would agree, a natural and necessary part of a sportsmans make up...otherwise, for example, one would walk out there and play like it was a Sunday backyard game everytime. It is how this fear is handled and overcome that make truly great sportsmen, whether aussies or others. So it is part of the make up alright. However, I would agree that it is not in the aussie make up to reveal or show any of it to the opposition.
Deesy, Warne is NOT my great champion. Bharat, I think we have a crossed wire. You're using 'fear' where I'd use 'healthy respect'. The first represents a weakness, to me. The second, a strength.
You used the word fear earlier. Why back track? Answer my post and stop running from me trying you in knots by name calling. Its not difficult to name call!
Deesy, Warne is NOT my great champion. Bharat, I think we have a crossed wire. You're using 'fear' where I'd use 'healthy respect'. The first represents a weakness, to me. The second, a strength.
Donny, Thats not just an Australian trait but true for most cricketing nations really. Atleast true for top class International cricketers. Even in the days when Aussie cricket was at its lowest ebb(Kim Hughes era) I wouldnt say someone like Alan Border feared anyone. Similarly Kapil Dev or Hugh Tayfield or Fazal Mehmood would not fear any International challenge no matter how weak/strong their team might be. So with the definition now moved from fear to healthy respect what would be the XI you beleive Aussies would have maximum respect for?
Post WW II - 1970 Len Hutton Peter May Graeme Pollock Denis Compton Rohan Kanhai Garry Sobers Denis Lindsay (wk) Fazal Mahmood Alec Bedser Fred Trueman Jim Laker
Thats pretty solid team there Salil. Hard to pick out any replacements in there. The two that come to mind are: Clyde Walcott instead of Rohan Kanhai. Have to get one of the W's in there. Ideally I would want Frank Worrell in the team as well, and he would be the skipper too, but in the very least Clyde Walcott. Plus he can don the gloves if need be. Frank Tyson ahead of Alec Bedser. No disrespect to Sir Alec but Frank Tyson was one bowler who really did terrify Aussies, and in their backyard. Plus it would be fun to see Tyson take wickets and rile Trueman who never admitted that Tyson was the faster lad.