Wish India had a great batsman like Mohammad Yousuf

The Master

Re: Wish India had a great batsman like Mohammad Yousuf

I agree with the notion that the bowling attacks post-2001 haven't been as good as they were before. However interestingly enough since JAN 1 2002 Sachin has only averaged 44 against the non-minnows while Yousuf during the same time Yousuf has averaged over 64!
Shabash, good for him ! So now we can conclude that Yoosuf has become a good batsman when bowling attacks deteriorated along with the overall standard of cricket since '01 - whereas Tendulkar averaged a colossal 57 back in the 1990's (the next highest was Waugh with 51, IIRC). Hence he is rightfully regarded as one fo the greatest of all time and arguably the greatest of his generation whereas Yoosof by contrast - is recognised as just another dime in a dozen, just another FTB amongst the masses who have had their averages "re-adjusted" in the post-millenium era.

I agree with the notion that the bowling attacks post-2001 haven't been as good as they were before. However interestingly enough since JAN 1 2002 Sachin has only averaged 44 against the non-minnows while Yousuf during the same time Yousuf has averaged over 64!
Shabash, good for him ! So now we can conclude that Yoosuf has become a good batsman when bowling attacks deteriorated along with the overall standard of cricket since '01 - whereas Tendulkar averaged a colossal 57 back in the 1990's (the next highest was Waugh with 51, IIRC). Hence he is rightfully regarded as one fo the greatest of all time and arguably the greatest of his generation whereas Yoosof by contrast - is recognised as just another dime in a dozen, just another FTB amongst the masses who have had their averages "re-adjusted" in the post-millenium era.
:lmao: I read a thread on here yesterday i think, started by dsr, entitled 'Official Dhoni is not FTB' because he scored 'Wondreful (sic) 50 on the fast bouncy track of SA.' However despite Yousuf's achievements you will still continue to label him as a FTB :shrug:

However despite Yousuf's achievements you will still continue to label him as a FTB :shrug:
well, look who is back...roll.gif Sorry to disappoint you Paad-shah, but the facts don't lie. The guy has always come a cropper when confronted by top class bowling attacks in seamer friendly conditions. What achievements ??! You p@kis are easily pleased. I couldn't care less how many runs he plunders against sh*tty West Indian bowling attacks on dead pitches and in a few high-scoring matches. Let's see how your bearded bum chum does on the more lively decks in SA and Australia. If he scores runs there, i'll happily take back my words. Okie dokie ?

I guess we all imagined the runs he scored in England this summer?
Double hundred on a belter at Lords where England scored 500+ themselves, another 190 odd on an unusually soft Headingley wicket on which England also ran up another 500+ score. On a fast pitch with a bit of bounce like Old Trafford, he went down in flames - like the FTB that he is. So thanks for letting me prove my point, Paad-shah...roll.gif

Yousuf made his debut in 1998 and i would think that it would have been kind of hard for him to dominate the 90s, eh? You are also forgetting the fact that even SRT was an 'average' batsman for his first 20 odd test matches and only got better with experience at the highest level so why do you think that Moyo couldn't have gotten better with experience! Note that i am not saying that Moyo is a better batsman than SRT but i am just pointing at the blatant double standards and your reluctance to give credit where its due!

I guess we all imagined the runs he scored in England this summer?
Double hundred on a belter at Lords where England scored 500+ themselves, another 190 odd on an unusually soft Headingley wicket on which England also ran up another 500+ score. On a fast pitch with a bit of bounce like Old Trafford, he went down in flames - like the FTB that he is. So thanks for letting me prove my point, Paad-shah...roll.gif
ENG scored over 500 runs at OT too...and that pitch was anything but flat! A lot of people(including myself) rave about SRt's 169 at Cape Town yet how come no one mentions that even SA made a massive score in their 1st innings too? ....Double standards....i would think so! You also didn't mention about the final test match where ENG were blown away for under 200 and Moyo still went on to score a big 100!

You are also forgetting the fact that even SRT was an 'average' batsman for his first 20 odd test matches and only got better with experience at the highest level so why do you think that Moyo couldn't have gotten better with experience!
Tendulkar was averaging 35 (or thereabouts) at the tender age of 16. I would say that any batsman who can hold that kind of average at such a young age is destined for greatness in the future. By 1991, he had already saved India a test match at Old Trafford and scored 50's against some of the best bowlers in the world (including the Pakistani bowling). Depends how you choose to look at it, i suppose.
A lot of people(including myself) rave about SRt's 169 at Cape Town yet how come no one mentions that even SA made a massive score in their 1st innings too? ....Double standards....i would think so!
You are missing the point. Great batsmen score runs in conditions where others fail. Tendulkar did that for most of his career, coming out tops where his whole batting lineup collapsed. Yoosuf scores when the going is good for everyone but fails when the odds are in favour of the bowlers. He is nothing more than a half-decent batsman who will be remembered for having one big season. and there is no shame in that...but the extent to which he has been hyped up is just ridiculous. Up until the '05 Indian tour, the guy was averaging 47 with the bat. Take out his average of 251 against Bangladesh and it sinks to a pitiful 42. Take out the averages vs Zimbabwe and it will fall even further. So basically, he was averaging 42 per dig throughout his entire career. Against top level opposition, possibly less than 30. In my opinion, he is in the same class as a Michael Vaughan. An elegant, half-decent bat who had a merely above average career highlighted by one incredible season. No more, no less. Leaving aside your pro-P aki bias for a second here, do you agree with this assessment ?

Tendulkar was averaging 35 (or thereabouts) at the tender age of 16. I would say that any batsman who can hold that kind of average at such a young age is destined for greatness in the future. By 1991, he had already saved India a test match at Old Trafford and scored 50's against some of the best bowlers in the world (including the Pakistani bowling). Depends how you choose to look at it, i suppose.
Mate until 1993 he was only averaging 37(after 20 test matches). His performance against PAK wasn't that great either where he averaged only 35 in 4 games ! Sure he did play 1 or 2 innings but so did yousuf(95 and 75) in his 1st test match in AUS plus a couple of 100s agianst the W Indian attack including Ambrose and Walsh.
You are missing the point. Great batsmen score runs in conditions where others fail. Tendulkar did that for most of his career, coming out tops where his whole batting lineup collapsed. Yoosuf scores when the going is good for everyone but fails when the odds are in favour of the bowlers. He is nothing more than a half-decent batsman who will be remembered for having one big season. and there is no shame in that...but the extent to which he has been hyped up is just ridiculous. Up until the '05 Indian tour, the guy was averaging 47 with the bat. Take out his average of 251 against Bangladesh and it sinks to a pitiful 42. Take out the averages vs Zimbabwe and it will fall even further. So basically, he was averaging 42 per dig throughout his entire career. Against top level opposition, possibly less than 30. In my opinion, he is in the same class as a Michael Vaughan. An elegant, half-decent bat who had a merely above average career highlighted by one incredible season. No more, no less. Leaving aside your pro-P aki bias for a second here, do you agree with this assessment ?
Oh so i see how it is...First of all you are going to knock off a batsman's 2 best years(which in this case is about 25 % of his career) and it just happens that one of those years was where he broke a 30 year old world record! Then on top of that you are going to knock off his scores against the minnows...... and after doing of all of that you are saying 'hey look his average is a pitful 42' and then you go on to compare him with a player(Vaughan) whose overall career average is 42..... fair VERY FAIR!