IPL 2nd highest-paid league, edges out EPL

mastana

Come on gunner, it was obviously a clean job which was named EPL but it was in the market with well established clubs in the ranks. Think of it like BCCI post-Modi sir, who knew how and when to promote the game. I should have actually mentioned the clubs' prosperity rather than the entire body's because at the end of the day its clubs' fortunes that define leagues' fortunes.
true, Like a Modi for IPL, there was a Sky for EPL. The PL by itself would have not gone very far if not for the TV money that Sky threw in and continues to throw and the biggest difference is unlike the IPL where clubs building a fan base is difficult, the clubs in the PL already had a fan base and fan following of a club runs for generations in a family.

Guest Hiten.
Again, this thread is not about whether IPL will last,whether pakis will implode of jealousy or anything else. This is about average player salary per week in sports leagues. That is all. This has no bearing on anything else other than the fact that IPL pays a lot of money for just 6 weeks of cricket.
It's a totally wrong conception to compare a 6 week sporting league with 5-6 months long sporting action. It's more like Afridi's logic, if I hit 6 runs in 1 ball then I will hit 6 x # of balls I play. Who knows if the Indian audience would accept the fact that they have to support a franchise for longer period of time or if they have the money to dish out by going to the stadia or theaters to catch the action.

It's a totally wrong conception to compare a 6 week sporting league with 5-6 months long sporting action.
They have made comparing on even field as much as possible. IPL is only a few weeks of play. Other leagues like NBA, NFL or MLB dont have to compete with International competition.Even for soccer, apart from WC and a few friendlies, there is hardly anything else. But for cricket International cricket is still the most played and watched. If IPL was held all year round with little to no international competition, the money would be more but the average/week will also be low. Noone is disputing that.