Radical Islam - Must see for DR, Bheem etc

kumble_rocks

Re: Radical Islam - Must see for DR, Bheem etc

most of the buddhists in india in the last few centuries converted jus cos they were dalits and not cos they suddenly realised that is the path to follow...
100 % agree with you here. Tell that to Dada_Rocks who thinks converts are induced by some monetary doles and the fact that 99 out of 100 cases conversion happens through either marriage or some kind of monetary inducement.

Which is why most of east asia is buddhist and its the 4th largest religion in the world' date=' eh ?? [/quote'] Do you even know how many of those buddhists follow buddhism even in a superficial manner?
Well duh ! Take any religion and the number of superficial followers outnumbers the number of real bona-fide believers. Hinduism is no different either!

most of the buddhists in south east asia converted cos they never had any concrete religion and jumped on the first one tht came to their shores, which is wat buddha's missionaries did.....
False. When buddhism arrived in Afghanistan/Central asia, Zoroastrianism was in vogue. In China and east asia, Confucianism and Daoism were in full swing.

Which is why most of east asia is buddhist and its the 4th largest religion in the world' date=' eh ?? [/quote'] Do you even know how many of those buddhists follow buddhism even in a superficial manner?
Well duh ! Take any religion and the number of superficial followers outnumbers the number of real bona-fide believers. Hinduism is no different either!
85%-90% of japanese claim to be buddhists, but 75% of the population claim to be non-religious. And I am guessing you wouldn't admit that Buddhism is not flourishing with freedom to practice it under communist china (officially home of the world's largest buddhist population). You do not have to promote your religion and place of origin in a positive way. The least you can do is refrain from mindless bashing. You have been found out here, but I worry about the amount of garbage wrt India and Hinduism that you must be spreading amongst those who don't know any better.

And I am guessing you wouldn't admit that Buddhism is not flourishing with freedom to practice it under communist china (officially home of the world's largest buddhist population).
????!? China has approx. 300 million Buddhists and that population stays more or less constant. Besides, religious freedom isnt exactly widespread in China...they tolerate religion rather badly.
85%-90% of japanese claim to be buddhists, but 75% of the population claim to be non-religious.
And they'd be right. Buddhism is not a religion because Buddhism lacks the two fundamental requirement of a religion: worship and presence of a God/Gods. For eg, i am an agnostic. But i am also a buddhist. You can be non-religious and buddhist at the same time if you don't get into Buddha worship. A friend of mine is an atheist and a buddhist at the same time. Regardless, as i said, official or otherwise- most practitioners of a faith are 'on-the-surface' only with hardcore followers being rare.
but I worry about the amount of garbage wrt India and Hinduism that you must be spreading amongst those who don't know any better.
I shoot from the hip - my viewpoint on religion(s) don't change from site to site or from the cyberworld to the real one. As for being found out - brother please ! spare me ! I can understand your consternation for I too, once upon a time, confused the difference between what is reality and what i'd want to believe being a hindu.
You do not have to promote your religion and place of origin in a positive way.
With all due respect, you have no idea on how i promote India or Hinduism in my friend's circle. As i said, i respect Hinduism immensely but i found it wanting - I don't hate it or even dislike it, simply because it is one of the better religions out there. However, i am not bound by the die-hard hindu mentality that seeks to over-promote hinduism in a mistaken sense of national identity and usurp the accomplishments of Jainism or Buddhism. And another thing - do not dare accuse me of denigrating India because you find my views on Hinduism unpalatable. Incase you forget, Jains and Buddhists are Indians too - just as much as the Hindus- and you will hardly find a Jain or a Buddhist who'd take the dismissive and ignorant attitudes adopted by some towards it positively.

Re: Radical Islam - Must see for DR, Bheem etc Buddhists do worship gods, mostly hindu ones, too, depending on the region. In SL, you'll find hindu gods in buddhist temples and people worshiping them all. Then there is amitabha buddha, whose mere name is supposed to be very beneficial in the next life. There are other buddhist mantras as well. I agree Buddha ignored the gods and mainly dealt with practical methodology for nirvana. But this approach is not unique either. Many hindu yogis do and did in his time practice meditation of many kinds, some similar to his approach as well, and they don't give a rat's ass about gods either.