South India is better developed than North India

head coach

Re: South India is better developed than North India

No denying it but the gentleman who has started this post needs to be taken out and shot. Here we are reeling from after shocks of one communal uprising after another, and now this nitwit needs to add to the fragmentation of the country. This is just reflective of the poor discretion of the moderators. you protect the frivolous posts, and reprimand the vehement responses. i was beginning to lose faith in this site in the first week, and now my ill feelings about the mental health of some of the posters has worsened.
THX, i agree that the mod that banned u was a tad harsh on you, since it was your first transgression. And it was just a token 2 day ban. We have no intentions of curbing our posters. You still dont seem to have gotten over it. Relax & see topics with a bit more perspective. Threads like this, spark debates, inspite of sounding contraversial or distasteful to u. Why not debate the OP, than whine and moan ?

I heard now that some of the boom is slowly shifting east to kolkatta from bangalore, chennai and hyderabad.
Slowly shifting east ? This whole thing started in the east ! Bengal and Bengalis like RR Roy and Michael Madhusudhan-Dutta are responsible primarily for bringing the concept of 'education = good for your children' back into the Indian fold of thinking.
You seized on that really well, CC. The OP obviously ignores the North's contribution to India's renaissance, with movements like the Brahma Samaj and Swami Dayanand Saraswati's Arya Samaj. Bengal alone had pioneers mentioned by you like Raja Rammohan Roy, who kicked off Brahma Samaj, with subsequent members of the stature of Rabindranath Tagore and Keshabchandra Sen. Swami Vivekananda, inspired by his Guru Ramkrishna, was credited with saving Hinduism. His story still gives me goose pimples. And who can forget the contribution of Aurobindo Ghosh or Sri Aurobindo as he is known, another Northerner, whose light shone in deep south?

Threads like this, spark debates, inspite of sounding contraversial or distasteful to u. Why not debate the OP, than whine and moan ?
trolling can spark a debate too, Bumps....

Kerala has the highest literacy rate in India...but is not as developed or rich as Punjab or Maharashtra... So education or respect for it is not the only factor...there are lots of other factors... One often over looked factor is that the South experienced much less societal upheaval from waves of invasions... unlike the North... it is more in touch with the original Hindu culture of India pre-Muslim and pre-British...rule...
Good Point. North was also plundered more by the Ghori's and Ghazni's of the world then the south.

I heard now that some of the boom is slowly shifting east to kolkatta from bangalore, chennai and hyderabad.
Slowly shifting east ? This whole thing started in the east ! Bengal and Bengalis like RR Roy and Michael Madhusudhan-Dutta are responsible primarily for bringing the concept of 'education = good for your children' back into the Indian fold of thinking.
If you go deeper into History , even the contribution of Bihar in education cannot be ignored. In fact they have a stellar record.

I wasn't talking about education, DUH! I was talking about prosperity and the boom mainly realted to IT. Read my post again.

The roots of South India's literacy culture can be traced back at least to the Hindu rulers of the 19th century. The Queen of Trivandrum issued a royal decree in 1817 that said, "The state should defray the entire cost of the education of its people in order that there might be no backwardness in the spread of enlightenment." She hoped education would make her people "better subjects and public servants." The kings of Cochin also built public schools and promoted elementary education. Christian missionaries gave a further boost to education by setting up schools for the poor and oppressed, bypassing traditions that had allowed only high-caste Indians to attend school. In the early 20th century, social reformers in the region continued the drive for education for the lower castes and for girls. All of this gave a head start and by 1961 the Kerala State alone had double the literacy rate of the rest of India: 55 percent compared with the Indian average of 28 percent. The land-reform measures established also contributed to the success of literacy movement. "When every family owns a piece of land, no matter how small, they have a sense of belonging, Then they can plan for the future, and education of their children becomes a part of that planning. Lower levels of literacy in sNorth Indian states attributes to the lack of effective land rights for the poor. "If you live by the roadside, what tomorrow do you have to think about?"

The land-reform measures established also contributed to the success of literacy movement. "When every family owns a piece of land, no matter how small, they have a sense of belonging, Then they can plan for the future, and education of their children becomes a part of that planning. Lower levels of literacy in sNorth Indian states attributes to the lack of effective land rights for the poor. "If you live by the roadside, what tomorrow do you have to think about?"
without going into north or south, i like tht idea.... jus shows tht solutions are out there, but with right planning and leadership things can be made better..... our politicians have a habit of barking the wrong tree..... who woulda thought, education can be impacted with land ownership, though it is so simple....