Just bought the Kindle

King Tendulkar

I just forgot about ordering it with the Kindle itself. Now I'll check ebay and some other sites...
http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_nkw=kindle+touch+cover P.S Dont buy the cover with the inbuilt light- its distribution is not uniform and a section of the screen doesnt receive full light. Get a clip on - I have the Kandle and its awesome [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kandle-Ozeri-Designed-generation-readers/dp/B0031116K8]Amazon.com: Kandle by Ozeri LED Book Light in White -- Designed for the Amazon Kindle (1st and latest generation), Sony Reader and other eBook readers.: Kindle Store[/ame]

Never owned a Kindle' date=' might as well buy one. Have a couple iPads, a personal one and another from work. Only issue is that if I pick up a book I fall asleep.[/quote'] You don't need to have a Kindle when you have an iPad. You might as well use the Kindle App or load the the .epub in iBooks.

thanks. Some pretty good covers here.
P.S Dont buy the cover with the inbuilt light- its distribution is not uniform and a section of the screen doesnt receive full light. Get a clip on - I have the Kandle and its awesome Amazon.com: Kandle by Ozeri LED Book Light in White -- Designed for the Amazon Kindle (1st and latest generation), Sony Reader and other eBook readers.: Kindle Store
Will definitely buy the Kandle - it looks much better than the inbuilt light cover.

**** the reading, i love audible -audio books. 3 books in 4 weeks and have 3 books in the queue. Its awesome as I dont have to listen to lame rado programs during commute. Try audible (amazon company), its great
Books>>>>>>ebooks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>audio books. I can never bring myself to "listen" to a book - the very idea seems absurd to me.

My Kindle has been the best ROI. Bought it when the first international edition was released. Have nearly 2GB of books from various sources... Last weekend was getting a bit bored with all my friends not available Read the entire pern series by anne macaffery :D 8 books 3 days :P

Nook has a built in light for night reading (Nook Touch with Glowlight) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMA4-VcYVLI]Nook Touch with GlowLight Review and Comparisons - YouTube[/ame] Since Nook is android based, one can root it as well....me starting to like this :woot: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5tTNTT58A]Rooted Nook Touch Review - eReading Apps, PDF, Web Browser, etc - YouTube[/ame]

You don't need to have a Kindle when you have an iPad. You might as well use the Kindle App or load the the .epub in iBooks.
Not really true... the biggest advantage of the ebook readers is that they use the E Ink displays which don't have the glare and bright backdrop of a backlit device such as a ipad

Not really true... the biggest advantage of the ebook readers is that they use the E Ink displays which don't have the glare and bright backdrop of a backlit device such as a ipad
The glare and bright back drop can be adjusted. It's a personal thing anyway - I read a lot on my iPad and find it quite comfortable.

Bloody Hell :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: After waiting for many months I just bought the old Kindle a few weeks ago.
I did not mean to be rude with you then but I was wondering why did you really buy it. I also saw your discussion on light etc. There was news about Amazon's event in September doing the rounds.

I did not mean to insult you then but I was wondering why did you really buy it. I also saw your discussion on light etc. There was news about Amazon's event in September doing the rounds.
I knew about this event but the only speculation about the event was that a new Kindle Fire would be launched. I didn't see nay news of new Kindle models being launched otherwise I would have waited. The one I have bought is pretty much the same as the one that has just been launched - the only major difference is paperwhite display that would mean you don't need an external light - and that is a pretty big difference. Otherwise I am extremely happy with my Kindle till date :two_thumbs_up:

I knew about this event but the only speculation about the event was that a new Kindle Fire would be launched. I didn't see nay news of new Kindle models being launched otherwise I would have waited. The one I have bought is pretty much the same as the one that has just been launched - the only major difference is paperwhite display that would mean you don't need an external light - and that is a pretty big difference. Otherwise I am extremely happy with my Kindle till date :two_thumbs_up:
Yup - I am looking out for one for me as I am turning in my iPad2 to my mom. I read a lot of PDFs as part of my work. Probably this thread should also include issues etc. with Kindle too. For example, it does not play epub etc.

Yup - I am looking out for one for me as I am turning in my iPad2 to my mom. I read a lot of PDFs as part of my work. Probably this thread should also include issues etc. with Kindle too. For example' date= it does not play epub etc.
Download a software called "Calibre" - you can convert books across all formats on that and then transfer them to Kindle. But yeah, epub support is a problem because even if you convert epub into other formats using Calibre (or some other software), sometimes the formatting of the book is completely screwed up so its just not possible to read it.
Actually, you were indeed unfortunate. The first news about a new Kindle "Paperlight" being launched was on August 23. :sad:http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/23/3263213/amazon-press-event-september-6th-new-kindles/in/3061995
kuch time baad naya lene ka bahaana mil gaya :D

Download a software called "Calibre" - you can convert books across all formats on that and then transfer them to Kindle. But yeah, epub support is a problem because even if you convert epub into other formats using Calibre (or some other software), sometimes the formatting of the book is completely screwed up so its just not possible to read it.
I have tried Calibre - not that good. How are PDF's read? I generally read research papers. Here's a typical example http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/kleinber/socialcom11-recip.pdf Are these read normally like others? I also need to start the habit of reading a lot of books. I have downloaded some of them on my Kindle App on the iPhone but the screen size is small.

I have tried Calibre - not that good. How are PDF's read? I generally read research papers. Here's a typical example http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/kleinber/socialcom11-recip.pdf Are these read normally like others? I also need to start the habit of reading a lot of books. I have downloaded some of them on my Kindle App on the iPhone but the screen size is small.
Pdf's can be read comfortably except in some rare cases where for some reason its not possible to zoom in so it become difficult to read. But its best to convert all formats (be it PDF or MOBI or EPUB etc) to AZW3 using Calibre - that works very well in almost all cases. As for reading on iPhone - as you said, the screen is way too small for reading properly for even 15-20 minutes so you would lose interest in books instead of developing the habit of reading. Read books on your iPad (although that is too heavy for an ebook reader) or wait till you get the Kindle.