ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier

Sir john

ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier  

1. 1.

Niall O'Brien back in the fold

Ireland wicketkeeper Niall O’Brien is back in the fold after being offered a new contract yesterday by Cricket Ireland. The 119-cap all-rounder will be contracted for the rest of 2012, which could see him join the squad for the ICC World Twenty20 in September. “I’m delighted to be back in the inter-pro training squad, and if I keep scoring runs and playing well I hope to be back for the Australia game next month,” he told the Irish Daily Star. Ireland play Australia in the RSA Challenge at Stormont on 23 June. O’Brien was dropped for the Irish tour of Kenya, South Africa and UAE in the spring after opting to play in the Bangladesh Premier League. He missed the ICC World Twenty20 qualifier where Ireland won nine successive games to make it through to Sri Lanka. “Cricket Ireland had their position and we couldn’t meet. I had no complaints – I was treated fairly, and strongly.” “The BPL was a great tournament, and I worked with a great coach in Robin Singh and learnt an awful lot about T20 in sub-continental conditions that can be useful to Ireland. O’Brien was encouraged by the support from his Irish team-mates. “I spoke to the skipper (William Porterfield) last week and he’s keen there’s some communication and resolution soon. I’m still one of the best eleven players for Ireland and I’m keeping wicket every day in a first-class team.” This weekend O’Brien was also named in the South training squad ahead of the series against the North.