Germany criciticizes US - Saudi Arms Deal worth 20 Billion Dollar !

kumble_rocks

Actually, recently Pakis have offerred Chinese a secret stake in Gawadar Port near Karachi. Presence of Chincommies combined with Pakis will seriously undermine India's security in a scenario of war. If I recall, in Bangladesh war, Indian Navy was virtually able to block Paki supply, but now after development of Gawadar Port by Chin-Pakis we will loose that strategic edge over Pak. So I think we should actually pursue bandar-abbas from Iran since it will make the things even and Navy can watch all activity from here.
Sandtest. I don't think China will step in, in case of Indo-Pak battle. They have not done that in 1971 and I dont see it happening ever. The problem with China is that it is one bloody gas starved nation. That compounded with its phenomenal growth has made it look for oil. The port with Pakistan will allow it to get oil by travelling a much much shorter distance. Though that also makes me wonder as to how India with such a stragetic location has not been able to extract maximum. I mean how many countries have easy access to Gulf like we do? At the same time good access to Australia and many South East countries, not to mention China as well. And yes we need to get a foothold, a strong foothold, in the Bandar Abbas region. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

Ama yaar looking for policy rethink in changed post cold-war global equation is not chastising India. Kitani baar ham wahin chij banchenge

Sandtest. I don't think China will step in, in case of Indo-Pak battle. They have not done that in 1971 and I dont see it happening ever.
I agree, China was not directly involved in 1971....but Military establishment do not take past action as a guarantee for future one. We have fought a painful war with China in past and Chincommies continue to blabber about Arunachal Pradesh even today.
The problem with China is that it is one bloody gas starved nation. That compounded with its phenomenal growth has made it look for oil. The port with Pakistan will allow it to get oil by travelling a much much shorter distance.
Right sir, Chinks are desperately looking for oil and their presence is Gawadar is an attempt to secure un-interrupted supplies. Gawadar is not just another port, once ready for operation it will be a deep-sea port and can also be used for anchoring war-ship, amphibious ships. In 1971 Pukes were not having any such facility and were totally annihilated by Indian Navy....but with Gawadar we have to take Puke Navy seriously now.
Though that also makes me wonder as to how India with such a stragetic location has not been able to extract maximum. I mean how many countries have easy access to Gulf like we do? At the same time good access to Australia and many South East countries, not to mention China as well. And yes we need to get a foothold, a strong foothold, in the Bandar Abbas region.
That's right...actually for so many years we have been a "soft" power....only recently our economy grew and so does the military strength. If you have not heard, very recently India started operating it's first foreign Airbase in Ayni Tajikistan....This was also a good move to keep Pakis in check from other side.

Sandtest, i am not that worried about Gwadar and the Chinese connection. Put it this way- Indian navy is our *strongest* card in the deck when/if it comes to war with Pak-China.Right now, India is one of only THREE blue-water navy ( US and UK being the other two) and its naval fleet is the 4th largest in the world (after US-UK-Russia). Blue-water navy, if you are not aware, is a term denoted for 'true' navies, that can do more than just defend the coastline/continental shelf of the nation- they can support operations and extended missions away from home waters. Our navy can munch Pakistan's navy without even breaking a sweat and it is superior to the Chinese navy too- only way China can be a naval threat to India as of now is if it formed a good naval supply hub and had air support from the PLAAF. In that respect, Gwadar is not a big threat- as long as India controls the Arabian sea and the bay of bengal, a Chinese naval port in Gwadar is not a big threat. What is far bigger naval threat for India is Chinese Navy trying to negotiate with Singapore for a Chinese Naval base. Singapore, as you know, is also a deep water port and it sits right at the mouth of the Malacca straights, right at the edge of bay of bengal. Singapore is a lot closer to China than Gwadar is too and it can form a very good 'naval supply link' between Singapore and Hong Kong. Right now, our biggest disadvantage over China is the army and the air force- the Chinese army can literally tear our army apart and while we have the best aircrafts outside of Russia-US in the form of Su-30 MKI, much of our air force still relies on the antiquated 'flying coffins' known as MiG-21s. The real strategem of bandar Abbas is the unspoken implication of having an INS Vikram/INS Vikrant anchored in Bandar Abbass- it effectively means that in a war scenario, Pakistan will face air attacks from us from two directions. Another interesting development is Tajikistan negotiating with India for an air base in Tajikistan and right now, the Afghan government is very friendly with India and India is contemplating plopping down an air base in Bamiyan. I am all for the Tajik-Iran bases but Afghanistan does make me cautious- Karzai may be friendly towards us but most of the Pashtuns are not-who knows how far this new 'moderate Afghan government' will last or if it will ever be able to establish real control over Afghanistan. But then again, Bamiyan valley is populated by the Hazara- descendants of the Mongols- who've been brutally genocided by the Taliban and Pashtun forces in recent times and hate the Pashtun Afghans. So it is a relatively secure location in Afghanistan nonetheless.

PS: Yes- this *IS* a picture of a hindu temple in Bandar Abbas, built by the muslim Shah of iran. Iran is not a threat to us- only its government CAN be- all that needs to happen is Iran to be democratized and its guardian council thrown out- if that happens, the fall of Islam in Iran would be swift and to our benifit. Bandarabbas-hindu.jpg