Litti-chokha now likely to be available on running trains

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks
Quite a few of them in South Bombay, names dont matter really, all the way to Mahim. There is a restaurant around Jehangir Arts gallery called Samovar. It is a home-owned joint with great stuff. Clean ambience and lovely food. Used to be a big hit with celebrities and also of artists/painters that would go to Jehangir Arts Gallery, that whole Kala Ghoda area. If you have seen Amol Palekar's Chotti Si Baat you would know what I am talking about. Of course if you have been there you would know it too then. Good food there. Not to mention a gazillion Chinese food joints, or places like Bade Miyaan. Bombay offers great food options.:two_thumbs_up: xxx
Samovar miein hi amitabh bachcha aur jaya bhaduri ka pahla date hua tha.. bari naam suna hai iska hamne bhi..

Have you ever had any meal in one of those Irani dhaabas? :two_thumbs_up:
They are amazing. There is one at worli naka.. was my hangout place when i was working in a company after 10th grade. Typical irani restaurant.. with the red and white tablecloth, and menu under the tableglass. (between tablecloth and glass covering it). Amazing amazing chicken. Also, nothing priced more than 15 rupees. Once I went there, I wouldnt get any work done in the afternoon.. just needed a good nap. :eyedance:

Bade Miyaan is a popular joint which I frequented when I was checking out Gateway of India. Their is a good Kamat in Churchgate and the Macdonalds in Fort is a good joint for young adults. I like the Bistro coffee shops which are all over Mumbai nowadays.
Haila.. people talking about Bade's and I am not in the conversation?:finger: I was a regular regular there :two_thumbs_up: Kamats at tardeo/grant road is also good. Btw, its Barista. The Barista opposite my house is wireless :cantstop: 30 rupees an hr or something:hysterical: Has anyone tried Cafe Churchill at colaba, or sardar's pav bhaji @ tardeo ? :D Bloody hell, I cant wait for 16th december :confused_smile:

Not to mention a gazillion Chinese food joints, or places like Bade Miyaan. xxx
U mean the Nepali "chineeszz" trucks :hysterical::hysterical: Btw, talking about kala ghoda.. have u been to "Khyber"?... there's another restaurant there.. cant remember the name.. starts with a P i think... its famous for its "pot kulfi:.. they sell it across bombay in other restaurants too.. i cant remember the name..:eyedance: love the daal baati there:two_thumbs_up:

You are comparing Idli/Dosa to Navaratan Korma - one of the most complex dishes to make ... ? Compare it to Wada Paav .. Samosa or Dahi wada or Daal .... and you will find equality.
All the dish you mentioned - samosa/vada etc are appetizers. I would consider medhu vada as an appetizer but idli and dosa can both qualify as main dish so that argument is not exactly valid. As for wada paav that is a Marathi dish. It actually makes me bring that age old question -where does Marathi fit in? Southerns dont consider Maharastra "South" enough, and Marathis themselves consider more South than North!
But South India leaves north way behind when it comes to accepting the others culinary that too commercially and yes this extends to small towns also ... if you dont believe me and other south Indians here ... I will get you a sacnned image of a menu of a local restaurant from a remote place in my neck of the woods.
Now this is what I consider rhetoric. Where did the question of not believing South Indians come into the picture?? By the same token I should allege that you don't beleive North Indians? As for Southern region having embibed North Indian good much more than vice versa I find that very hard to beleive. My own experience tells me otherwise. And I would be really interested if you could find me a few ladies from South India whose favorite dish is authentic North Indian dish. xxx

All the dish you mentioned - samosa/vada etc are appetizers. I would consider medhu vada as an appetizer but idli and dosa can both qualify as main dish so that argument is not exactly valid. As for wada paav that is a Marathi dish. It actually makes me bring that age old question -where does Marathi fit in? Southerns dont consider Maharastra "South" enough, and Marathis themselves consider more South than North! Now this is what I consider rhetoric. Where did the question of not believing South Indians come into the picture?? By the same token I should allege that you don't beleive North Indians? As for Southern region having embibed North Indian good much more than vice versa I find that very hard to beleive. My own experience tells me otherwise. And I would be really interested if you could find me a few ladies from South India whose favorite dish is authentic North Indian dish. xxx
Marathi would be more like west.. even gujarati... You wouldnt really call a gujju a Northie....neither would u call him a southie..... Same with marathi..:two_thumbs_up: West indian :hysterical:

They are amazing. There is one at worli naka.. was my hangout place when i was working in a company after 10th grade. Typical irani restaurant.. with the red and white tablecloth' date= and menu under the tableglass. (between tablecloth and glass covering it). Amazing amazing chicken. Also, nothing priced more than 15 rupees. Once I went there, I wouldnt get any work done in the afternoon.. just needed a good nap. :eyedance:
Haan yeh hua authentic dhaaba jaanewaala :eyedance::eyedance: Man that red and white tablecloth *smooch smooch*. There used to be quite a few of these outside railway stations right from Andheri to Churchgate. Once I decided to have something to eat at every stop. Took me a while to reach South Bombay but was it fun!! And the chicken there is amzing...Cutting chai and chicken with naan..:mail::mail:

Marathi would be more like west.. even gujarati... You wouldnt really call a gujju a Northie....neither would u call him a southie..... Same with marathi..:two_thumbs_up: West indian :hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical: Thats beauty of India..Abhi I refer broadly to myself as North Indian. Actually Bihari/Bengalis are most East India. Beware you Marathi Manus of East India Company now :mama:

Haila.. people talking about Bade's and I am not in the conversation?:finger:
Because you are late :finger::finger:
Has anyone tried Cafe Churchill at colaba, or sardar's pav bhaji @ tardeo ? :D Bloody hell, I cant wait for 16th december :confused_smile:
Holy, whats that restaurant right outside Churchgate? You know you come out, then take a right towards the Sea towards Jazz by the Bay area? Gaylord aisa kuch kya? Once had a coffee there for about 35-50 bucks :angry_smile::angry_smile:

good Maarning, Suprabhat, Bhaiyon......abhi abhi soke uthaa aur dekhaa ke aap log toh khaane peene mein jut gayen hain.:giggle: Toh Naashtey mein kyaa hai? Lurker aur D_R, tum do ke dono badey Khawaiyaa ho bhai:two_thumbs_up: jehaan tak Litti-chokha ki baat hai toh hum log pyaar se chokha ko "bhartaa" boltey hain. jeb litti kuch zyaada kadi ho jaati hai aur daant se tootey nahin tootati toh anubhavi dadiji kehti hai "hey betwaa dali mein saani ke khaai lya".

Because you are late :finger::finger: Holy, whats that restaurant right outside Churchgate? You know you come out, then take a right towards the Sea towards Jazz by the Bay area? Gaylord aisa kuch kya? Once had a coffee there for about 35-50 bucks :angry_smile::angry_smile:
Gaylord. Its bloody amazing. Expensive to have a meal there, but they have a bakery right there. Used to go there EVERY DAY for brunch during college.(Apun Jai Hind waala hai :D) 30 bucks mein good food. Gaylord actually has a branch in Chicago. :D Other restaurants there are the shiv sagar right opposite(its not really a shiv sagar.. expensive as hell, air conditioned, etc) then there's this ice cream parlour shop there called K Rustom's. I used to go there with my girlfriend.. while taking a walk. Later on I found out my parents used to go there under the same circumstances, when they were my age

U mean the Nepali "chineeszz" trucks :hysterical::hysterical: Btw, talking about kala ghoda.. have u been to "Khyber"?... there's another restaurant there.. cant remember the name.. starts with a P i think... its famous for its "pot kulfi:.. they sell it across bombay in other restaurants too.. i cant remember the name..:eyedance: love the daal baati there:two_thumbs_up:
I remember now, Its called Chetna. Anyone had Chetna's Matka Kulfi? :yay:

Gaylord. Its bloody amazing. Expensive to have a meal there, but they have a bakery right there. Used to go there EVERY DAY for brunch during college.(Apun Jai Hind waala hai :D) 30 bucks mein good food. Gaylord actually has a branch in Chicago.
Mat yaad dilao guru mere ansoo nikal aayenge :cry_smile::cry_smile: As it so happened that was the place I gave my juniors treat. This was in late 90s when my pagaar was 5500, pretty dismal when you are in Bombay. So anyway they take here, I am like okay fine. We get the menu and I practically wet my pants! They order while I sip coffee, even that effer came to like 30-40 bucks. :cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile: xxx

yaar apne ghar me roz banta hai ... Daal chapathi paratha ... gobi , alo mutter ... paneer ... How many North Indian house holds make Rasam sambar bise bele bhaat ?
I make rasam every 2-3 days..actually I make sambhar. Daal with load of veggies and sambhar masala. This is the only staple Indian thing in my diet as I seriously watch what I eat. So for whatever its worth my current staple Indian food is a predominanly Southern dish. xxx

Mat yaad dilao guru mere ansoo nikal aayenge :cry_smile::cry_smile: As it so happened that was the place I gave my juniors treat. This was in late 90s when my pagaar was 5500, pretty dismal when you are in Bombay. So anyway they take here, I am like okay fine. We get the menu and I practically wet my pants! They order while I sip coffee, even that effer came to like 30-40 bucks. :cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile: xxx
You never go to the restaurant.. always go to the bakery. Did u read what i typed about K Rustoms? been there? its a classic...
Other restaurants there are the shiv sagar right opposite(its not really a shiv sagar.. expensive as hell, air conditioned, etc) then there's this ice cream parlour shop there called K Rustom's. I used to go there with my girlfriend.. while taking a walk. Later on I found out my parents used to go there under the same circumstances, when they were my age...:haha:
nowadays big thing is "mocha" saala subah subah 11 baje hooka karo.... right after all the fumes from chemistry practicals....

jehaan tak Litti-chokha ki baat hai toh hum log pyaar se chokha ko "bhartaa" boltey hain. jeb litti kuch zyaada kadi ho jaati hai aur daant se tootey nahin tootati toh anubhavi dadiji kehti hai "hey betwaa dali mein saani ke khaai lya".
Arre hum bhi bhartha hi karte hain bhai, yeh DR humko sophisticated bana diya sasura. Waise gurudev aap UP ke ho ke main kaise bol dete hain? Bhai UP/Bihar waale to "hum" ka upyog karte hain. Hum boliye, lagta hai ke Nawaabon ke jagah se hain. "Hum aa rahe hain" Saala lagta hai ke peeche se 10 aadmi aa reha hai saath mein :eyedance::eyedance: