Golden farce: The 'shortlist' for the FIFA World Player of the Year

Sooda

Very nice read. Not having followed football in the last couple of years as avidly as I used to, I'll take your word for it. Talent doesn't do anything for me though. I'd pick Kaka ahead of the likes of Messi or Ronaldinho in my side any day. Intelligence, diligence, skill, team man to the core rather than Messi's maverick magic- he has it all. Fearsome player. Certainly the most feared in the world right now.
That's fair enough. Kaka also has an excellent work ethic and he is very humble. Real religious guy too; as you may have noticed how he proudly displays the message "I belong to Jesus" whenever he scores a goal. This is probably why he has become the player he is today - maintaining his focus and not being carried away by the adulation. Messi is a proper sportsman as well, although he has fallen victim to injury more often than not. These two will dominate the football landscape for years to come. Ronaldinho is an interesting case. He has all the ability that one could ask for - mazy dribbling skills, excellent technique, the innate Brazilian quality of beating his marker at will, yet he has totally fizzled out lately. He can still win a match singlehandedly, but these instances have become all too rare. Unlike Kaka, he doesn't have a good head on his shoulders and took his success for granted, IMO. His fitness went by the wayside and he didn't show the professionalism that you would expect from a top level performer. A real shame, because he was remarkably good during his time at Barcelona from '04 'til '06.

First of all how can you guys even compare kaka and messi?? one is a winger/wing forward while the other plays behind 1 or 2 strikers. Completely different playing styles. Saying that messi has more skill than kaka is WRONG. Can messi even shoot with his right leg? Even shots off his left are not accurate. Same goes for C Ronaldo. Kaka definitely has the best skills in the game ... right now.

First of all how can you guys even compare kaka and messi?? one is a winger/wing forward while the other plays behind 1 or 2 strikers. Completely different playing styles. Can messi even shoot with his right leg? Even shots off his left are not accurate.
You obviously have watched very little of Messi if you think he is one footed. Yeah, technically they aren't comparable but we are talking about talent and skill here.

You obviously have watched very little of Messi if you think he is one footed. Yeah, technically they aren't comparable but we are talking about talent and skill here.
I was exaggerating, but the point is Messi wrong foot is no where near as good as Kaka's wrong foot. Messi's dribbling skills are slightly better, but kaka is probably the better overall player.

I was exaggerating, but the point is Messi wrong foot is no where near as good as Kaka's wrong foot. Messi's dribbling skills are slightly better, but kaka is probably the better overall player.
At this point in time, this is true - but bear in mind that Kaka is 25 and Messi is 20. Kaka is playing the best football of his career at the moment, and he won't get much better. Messi is almost as good and he is nowhere near his peak. Physique-wise, Messi isn't the finished article yet. By the time he is 25 (assuming he isn't killed off by injuries) he will be frighteningly good. Forget his prodigious ability - he even scores goals as frequently as a striker; scored 14 goals in just 26 matches last season in Spain and already has 8 in 15 this season. I'll stick my neck out and say that the kid will be go down as one of the greatest footballers that ever lived and definitely the greatest footballer of his generation.

Rivaldo was always a better player then Zidanne. Zidanne had the hype machine behind him and just looked more greaceful. As a playmeker who set up goals and scored goals, magical Rivaldo was far superior. Rivaldo was the ultimate dead ball king, goalscorer and creative magician. Scandalous he has not got same recognition as Zidanne. He has WC winners medal and scored 2nd amount of goals in that wc finals to see brazil to great win. Will never forget hatrick he scored to see barca to CL spot against valencia. Those were things zizou could never do

Rivaldo was always a better player then Zidanne. Zidanne had the hype machine behind him and just looked more greaceful. As a playmeker who set up goals and scored goals, magical Rivaldo was far superior. Rivaldo was the ultimate dead ball king, goalscorer and creative magician. Scandalous he has not got same recognition as Zidanne. He has WC winners medal and scored 2nd amount of goals in that wc finals to see brazil to great win. Will never forget hatrick he scored to see barca to CL spot against valencia. Those were things zizou could never do
As highly as i rate Rivaldo, comparing him to Zidane is just stupid. Rivaldo wasn't a playmaker, BTW. He was a left sided forward.

As highly as i rate Rivaldo, comparing him to Zidane is just stupid. Rivaldo wasn't a playmaker, BTW. He was a left sided forward.
Rubbish! Rivaldo was superior to Zidanne. Martin O'Neil thinks so as well. I suppose you think he is stupid as well. Rivaldo was not just a left side forward. He played many roles and many times was a play maker. Zidanne was over hyped

At this point in time, this is true - but bear in mind that Kaka is 25 and Messi is 20. Kaka is playing the best football of his career at the moment, and he won't get much better. Messi is almost as good and he is nowhere near his peak. Physique-wise, Messi isn't the finished article yet. By the time he is 25 (assuming he isn't killed off by injuries) he will be frighteningly good. Forget his prodigious ability - he even scores goals as frequently as a striker; scored 14 goals in just 26 matches last season in Spain and already has 8 in 15 this season. I'll stick my neck out and say that the kid will be go down as one of the greatest footballers that ever lived and definitely the greatest footballer of his generation.
umm, thats irrelevant. Scoring goals in Spain is much more easier that it is in England or Italy!! You always get more space in Spain, than in England or Italy. Also there are no guarantees that Messi will get better, if he does then we can revisit the kaka vs messi debate - but as of now kaka hands down is the better player. As for the debate between Rivaldo and Zidane: Rivaldo has played many positions throughout his career - forward, winger, amf and was superb in all those positions. Zidane, just played AMF throughout his life. He definitely looked classier of the two, but that doesn't make him a better player. Personally overall I like Rivaldo more simply because of his versatility, however if the discussion was limited to who was the best player in mf, then I would have to go with Zidane.

He also played for deportiva and brazil. In many of these games was a direct playmaker. Zidanne for his madird carrer was also left sided forward, what your point?
Deportiva ? Who are they ? You mean Deportivo ? He only played there for just one season, and he played up front. Spanish international midfielder Fran was Deportivo's playmaker. ...and Zidane was never a left sided forward for Madrid silly...:hysterical: He had a free role in midfield I find the Rivaldo comparison with Maradona equally hilarious - "lots of goals", LOL. Maradona was never a top goalscorer, certainly not as prolific as Rivaldo. The most goals he ever scored in one season was 16

311 goals in 590 club games, thats better then a goal every 2 games. Maradona was a goalscorer as well as creator, thats what made him so special , so dont know what you are going on about. As for zidanne at madrid did you watch any of the games :hysterical: He spent most of the time as a left sided forward/midfielder. No free role and thats a fact!

311 goals in 590 club games, thats better then a goal every 2 games. Maradona was a goalscorer as well as creator, thats what made him so special , so dont know what you are going on about. As for zidanne at madrid did you watch any of the games :hysterical: He spent most of the time as a left sided forward/midfielder. No free role and thats a fact!
That's not better than 2 a game. He scored 10-12 on average every season for Barcelona and Napoli. Scored a lot in Argentina, i'll give you that but the competition isn't comparable to the level of European football. Yeah, i watched almost every single Real Madrid game in 2002/03 and many matches in his first season in '02 and also in '04. I also watched him play for Juventus in the CL. He was NEVER a FORWARD. Forwards at Real Madrid were Raul, Morientes, Ronaldo, and at times, Guti. Their left sided players were Solari and Roberto Carlos. At Juventus, their forwards were Inzaghi, Del Piero, Amoruso, Trezeguet etc. Zidane NEVER played as a forward I see you have conveniently abandoned your crappy argument about Rivaldo being a playmaker :D

Not at all. Rivaldo was a playmaker in every sense. Superior to Zidanne And Zidanne played left side for madrid. And maradona scored plenty goals as he was a goalscorer. And was a creator. This is why he was EXTRA special
You can post the same ill-informed statements a million times if you like mate, they still won't be true...:haha: Well, at least you now claim that Zidane (there is only one 'n') was a left sided player as opposed to being a left sided forward...still wrong, but we're making progress

Maradona was also top scorer in 87/88 serie A season. This in the toughest goalscoring league in world football at the time. So a player who is not a goalscorer is top goal scorer in toughest and hardest league in world football at the time to score.:hysterical: Rather shoots you downs your assertion he was never a top goal scorer:hysterical:

Yes' date=' with a whopping 15 goals.[/quote'] that was considered great at that time!! and the argument about Zidane playing as a left wing forward or left midfield is so stupid, because it all depends on formation. 4-3-3 and he would be playing as forward, 4-4-2 and he would play as left midfield. Teams routinely change formation during games as well - so stop bickering about his position!! oh god...