Umpring and the use of Technology in Cricket : A Discussion

Let me guess : "Its in the book " :regular_smile:
You don't have to guess. Making fun of me just backfires on you. My reference to "Its in the book" was to one of my players to get their mind back on the game. I respectfully say the same thing to you.
Thanks, Chandan. That you don't understand my POV is not something I can change. I have made it quite clear and I don't see how repeating what I've already written will make it any clearer.
Thats fine. Earlier I was relying to you thinking that you watched the match live. But that is not so. That is why your POV got confusing. Still if you don't want to explain to me, that is perfectly okay.
Bush went to war in Iraq because he thought it was the right thing to do. Doesn't make it right though. Apologies for the extreme analogy, but just trying to get a point across that ppl are fallible and make mistakes, but they should be held accountable, or else it just leads to incompetence, arrogance, and corruption (cue Bush and co again)
Indeed, an extreme analogy. I have never said "and that makes it right". This is exactly what so many in here are getting their knickers in a twist about. They are adding their own emotional feelings to things I write and then trying to put it back on me.
Likewise ... here .. what goes around usually comes around multiplied.:thumbs_up:
One too many puerile one liners Bheemby. I tried to engage you in meaningful debate and you were incapable of reciprocation. This is my last reply to you unless I get a genuine apology.
Indeed' date=' an extreme analogy. I have never said "and that makes it right"[/quote'] Hmm, so you are just stating why you think the umpire gave it out, and not stating your opinion on the decision. So let me ask you this then : :D What's your opinion about umpires getting a decision wrong ? Should they be held accountable or not ? Or you don't care ?
If you want a serious mature and practical discussion you will still get one as long as you dont try to be holier than thou.
He knows far more about cricket than you and that you must be aware of. if you wish to debate your superior ( and Donny is about as superior to you in cricketing matters as it gets), keep the necessary perspective in mind- you are the shishya here and Donny is the guru- not the other way round, vatz.

Umpring and the use of Technology in Cricket : A Discussion

Quote: Originally Posted by Donny viewpost.gif Indeed, an extreme analogy. I have never said "and that makes it right" Hmm, so you are just stating why you think the umpire gave it out, and not stating your opinion on the decision. So let me ask you this then : :D What's your opinion about umpires getting a decision wrong ? Should they be held accountable or not ? Or you don't care ?
'Getting it wrong' in who's opinion ? The ICC panel of review ? The fans of one team or the fans of the opposition - because they will often have opposite views ? Neutral cricket fans ? Commentators or journos ? Yes. They are. Not really. As long as we have human umpires, I accept the fallibility of such a situation.
FYI ...
Nice cop-out. I was merely reminding you that your billigerence at Donny's supposedly 'holier-than-thou' attitude is nothing more than your ego getting smashed against a poster who is far far more accomplished in cricket and its finer aspects than yourself. Take lessons from him, debate with him but don't try to lecture a person who is fit to teach you every aspect of the game to a far better level than you are capable of. You should feel lucky that a gentleman of far greater cricketing intelletct and competence is even bothering to converse with you, despite your nature of statistics-based data-mining conclusions that are pre-conceived and largely meaningless. People like Rahul, Donny, Ravi, etc. deserve your respect for being far better a player and observer of cricket than yourself.
Take lessons from him, debate with him but don't try to lecture a person who is fit to teach you every aspect of the game to a far better level than you are capable of. You should feel lucky that a gentleman of far greater cricketing intelletct and competence is even bothering to converse with you, despite your nature of statistics-based data-mining conclusions that are pre-conceived and largely meaningless.
ROFL.... u totally ripped the line i delivered u, last week... u need to have some originality, kid....:hysterical::hysterical:
Nice cop-out. I was merely reminding you that your billigerence at Donny's supposedly 'holier-than-thou' attitude is nothing more than your ego getting smashed against a poster who is far far more accomplished in cricket and its finer aspects than yourself. Take lessons from him' date= debate with him but don't try to lecture a person who is fit to teach you every aspect of the game to a far better level than you are capable of. You should feel lucky that a gentleman of far greater cricketing intelletct and competence is even bothering to converse with you, despite your nature of statistics-based data-mining conclusions that are pre-conceived and largely meaningless. People like Rahul, Donny, Ravi, etc. deserve your respect for being far better a player and observer of cricket than yourself.
None of your business, CC. We don't need anybody to play Sir Gallahad here to Donny.
'Getting it wrong' in who's opinion ? The ICC panel of review ? The fans of one team or the fans of the opposition - because they will often have opposite views ? Neutral cricket fans ? Commentators or journos ?
Like someone said "I'll believe it when I see it". The purists would still go by the old adage "If it looks out to my trained eye, or I can hear an edge with my trained ear, it's out". However, imagine a trained uber-umpire with an eye that can slow down time to the microsecond, an ear that can amplify sounds to hear an insect flapping its wings, would you say that that umpire would be held in high esteem by the purists ? Technology slows down time, amplifies snicks, extrapolates trajectories, among other things to such an extent, that 'Getting it wrong' these days is dependent a lot the word of that uber-umpire I mentioned above. And the sad thing is, everybody, including the fans have access to this uber-umpire.. Everybody except the umpires on the ground that is.
Perhaps someone who understands your post could respond, Varun. You asked, " What's your opinion about umpires getting a decision wrong ?" I asked for a clarification and am still waiting for your response so I can reply.
:D You asked 'Getting it wrong' in who's opinion ? In the opinion of the hypothetical highly respected uber-umpire ( or super-umpire ), who gets 99% of his decisions correct. Please refer to my post above about the description of this super-umpire.